Mushroom thread

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
beluga

beluga

Pasteurizing some bulk sub... Got a couple fruiting chambers made up... Im going to bulk these 4 jars to coir tonight and see what happens over the next couple weeks.
2 jars of sub are for sure contaminated and stalled out completely... one is still progressing, and 4 "appear" to be fully colonized to my inexperienced eye...

Each shoebox will get 2 quarts sub and 2 jars of spawn. View attachment 1067136View attachment 1067137View attachment 1067138
Kinda sub you got going there?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Kinda sub you got going there?
Coir vermiculite and a dash of gypsum. True pasteurizing maybe not necessary, but im anal like this...

Decided to use my brew bag to submerge all the sub in water, then ill drain and squeeze to field capacity in the bag, just like i do for making wert.

Last edited:
beluga

beluga

Coir verm and a dash of gyp. True pasteurizing maybe not necessary, but im anal like this...

Decided to use my brew bag to submerge all the sub in water, then ill drain and squeeze to field capacity in the bag, just like i do for making wert.
I thought that looked like biab.
Good stuff. Pasteurization shouldn't hurt it. May be a bit redundant, but it sounds like a good way to get to field capacity if you ask me.

beluga

beluga

Try this again...

Medicine day!!
20201213 174318

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
And now i wait...

Ended up using 2 jars of sub and 1.5 jars of spawn per shoebox, filled it up to the the line midway up the box, about 3" deep. I saved the nicest looking jar to do a g2g if it recolonizes within 3 days. I broke it all up to see what it does. BUT.. all 3 jars that i opened and pitched to coir smelled EXACTLY like magic mushrooms. I couldnt detect anything sweet or earthy whatsoever, just literally mushroom smell and thats it. So im a bit more optimistic.
Fun hobby! But yeah i need to build a flowhood if I go any further with this.
20201213 155004

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Good morning everyone,
This may have been mentioned in one of the 40 other pages in this post so my apologies in advance.
Where should I get spores?
I ordered from quality spores but that was 9 days ago and my package hasn't moved according to the tracking information, I also tried to order from ralphster but that's a cash or money order deal.
So any suggestions?

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Good morning everyone,
This may have been mentioned in one of the 40 other pages in this post so my apologies in advance.
I ordered from quality spores but that was 9 days ago and my package hasn't moved according to the tracking information, I also tried to order from ralphster but that's a cash or money order deal.
So any suggestions?

beluga

beluga

Good morning everyone,
So any suggestions?
I suggest sporeworks up, down, left, right, Mars, Andromeda... basically every way there is... sporeworks is at the very top and they've stood the test of time.
I'm not affiliated with them or anything, but I'll advertise them any day of the week.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
So i kept my nicest jar for G2G. Gave it a shake a few days ago to test it for contaminants by seeing how long it took to recolonize. Got full colonization in less than 3 days so im thinking were good!

Second batch of grains to go in the PC is cooked and drying off now before loading into jars. Looks pretty decent, cooked these for about 15 min this time. Far less burst grains, i picked them out and cant find any more.

I messed around with baking sheets and paper towel last time and it was a hassle. This time, i broke out the beach blanket lol.
20201216 183101

The fruiting chambers I spawned on sunday look to be doin stuff, so far my top casing layer looks about 40% colonized. Figure about another week and i should start seeing pins if things go to plan. Exciting stuff...

beluga

beluga

Did look a little plump on that towel... but that's always a toss-up by look.
Bite test never fails me for rye. It's kinda scary now using no-prep millet, but, so far the ratio has not failed me. Although I still have to refer to my notes every time rather than throw whatever amount more water than grain in a pot and nibble on it every 10 minutes or so....

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah seems i need to undercook it slightly if anything. More just annoying that i need to takeover the kitchen with the PC again... The noise drives the whole family to their bedrooms.

beluga

beluga

Yeah seems i need to undercook it slightly if anything. More just annoying that i need to takeover the kitchen with the PC again... The noise drives the whole family to their bedrooms.
Yeah... I dunno what the Canadian coin equivalent to a US quarter would be weight-wise... but I put two of them on my regulator to keep it from rocking at 15PSI and can usually get up to about 18PSI before it starts sputtering.

Looks like 5.67g/US quarter... so about 11g?

edit: Oh, or you could bring it outside to a kettle burner. I know you've expressed concern about that before, but... Iunno. I've done it with my Presto for years and years and never had a problem with warping or anything else. Just don't crank it up.
Your PC looks way more B.A. Baracus than a Presto, too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom