Mushroom thread

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Put the top tub on today to get a little more light on these and see what theyre up to.
20201217 095801

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah... I dunno what the Canadian coin equivalent to a US quarter would be weight-wise... but I put two of them on my regulator to keep it from rocking at 15PSI and can usually get up to about 18PSI before it starts sputtering.

Looks like 5.67g/US quarter... so about 11g?

edit: Oh, or you could bring it outside to a kettle burner. I know you've expressed concern about that before, but... Iunno. I've done it with my Presto for years and years and never had a problem with warping or anything else. Just don't crank it up.
Your PC looks way more B.A. Baracus than a Presto, too.

Great idea.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Yeah... I dunno what the Canadian coin equivalent to a US quarter would be weight-wise... but I put two of them on my regulator to keep it from rocking at 15PSI and can usually get up to about 18PSI before it starts sputtering.

Looks like 5.67g/US quarter... so about 11g?

edit: Oh, or you could bring it outside to a kettle burner. I know you've expressed concern about that before, but... Iunno. I've done it with my Presto for years and years and never had a problem with warping or anything else. Just don't crank it up.
Your PC looks way more B.A. Baracus than a Presto, too.
Quarter on the weight brings it up to18 psi if it’s a 15 psi weight

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Being right at sea level im not sure how big of a deal it is cooking at just 15psi. But i could always tape a couple nickles or something to the weight. My weight is round like a wheel though so id have to put the coins on the sides not the top.
Ill consider it.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Looks much better.
Might I suggest a simple framed screen?
433-1555-1571-Screens.jpg

I mean... towels work, for sure. I just find the screen to give a more even and thorough drying. And quicker.
I usually just spread out my rye, walk away for about an hour, and load up.
About half the grains i sample are gelatinized, half still have white starch in them. But yesterday fully cooking them led to overcooked grains after PC.
The hard part is i wont know if theyre ok until tomorrow lol.

beluga

beluga

About half the grains i sample are gelatinized, half still have white starch in them. But yesterday fully cooking them led to overcooked grains after PC.
The hard part is i wont know if theyre ok until tomorrow lol.
Do you pre-soak at all?
I'll put my rye in the PC with tap hot water, throw the lid on, and let that sit between one and four or more hours. Helped a lot with avoiding burst grains and having them more even throughout.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Do you pre-soak at all?
I'll put my rye in the PC with tap hot water, throw the lid on, and let that sit between one and four or more hours. Helped a lot with avoiding burst grains and having them more even throughout.
Yeah i soaked them about 5-6 hrs before boiling them for about 12-13 min. But they must keep cooking in the PC..

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
@beluga, my friend got back to me with more info about the mushrooms being used for bioremediation and what happens to the toxins etc.

Turns out that mushrooms are a hyperaccumulator, and any heavy metals or toxins in the soil will be concentrated in the mushroom mycelium and fruiting bodies. Apparently it does change the chemical composition of the soils and some toxins themselves, but for the most part the mushrooms used for remediation become toxic.

Of course, i had to ask what then happens to those mushrooms lol. If youre using them to clean up soil, how do they dispose of the mushrooms without just contaminating somewhere else?

Ill let you know what she says.

beluga

beluga

@beluga, my friend got back to me with more info about the mushrooms being used for bioremediation and what happens to the toxins etc.

Turns out that mushrooms are a hyperaccumulator, and any heavy metals or toxins in the soil will be concentrated in the mushroom mycelium and fruiting bodies. Apparently it does change the chemical composition of the soils and some toxins themselves, but for the most part the mushrooms used for remediation become toxic.

Of course, i had to ask what then happens to those mushrooms lol. If youre using them to clean up soil, how do they dispose of the mushrooms without just contaminating somewhere else?

Ill let you know what she says.
Very cool! Thanks for keeping me in the know.
But yeah... what then? is quite the curiosity.

And then that makes me wonder about organics vs non... almost seems like it's more imperative to have a clean nutrition source for mushrooms than it would be plants...

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Very cool! Thanks for keeping me in the know.
But yeah... what then? is quite the curiosity.

And then that makes me wonder about organics vs non... almost seems like it's more imperative to have a clean nutrition source for mushrooms than it would be plants...
100%. She said being hyperaccumulators theyre one of the worst things to consume if grown in poor soils. Its why you should never eat mushrooms you find near the road, anywhere, ever. Apparently theyre way worse than plants for accumulating toxins. Which is what makes them so well suited for bioremediation.

Top Bottom