Mushroom thread

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
pics of your glove box never gets old!!!

a buddy of mine upgraded his sandblaster and is gonna give me his old one... i was gonna just use it as a sandblaster but man now you got me thinking!!!!!

did you remember to wipe and dry the top lip of your jars before putting the dry layer of verm in?
All jars get sterilized lids on and don’t get touched until they go directly into the glove box.

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

Im keen to get started on this, question is do they smell much?

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Im keen to get started on this, question is do they smell much?

No, I mean when you pressure cook jars that smells like whatever your cooking, but the shrooms no very little smell less you stick your head in and take a whiff then it just smells like mold..

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

Could be, but I’m very diligent about cleanliness when it comes time to inject the spores.
I do everything in here. Everything and I mean everything is whipped down with isopropyl and cleaned.View attachment 995176View attachment 995178

That box is pretty sweet looking. Much better than what i use. However I would lose the gloves, and just use gloved hands. Attaching gloves in this way stirs up more contams as you create suction, and pressure inside the box by moving around grabbing things. It's also way easier to do your work that way.

A few things to consider working in a still air box, would be that nothing in there is sterile. Spray it out with Lysol etc then mist with water. The water on the inside walls will help capture contams from falling in your work. Keep your work off the bottom. I use a damp towel with cookie racks on top. Make sure it's in a room with still air. Close the window/door shut off the heat/a.c. etc. Always flame and cool syringes between jars. Use tinfoil to cover your jar lids during pc cycle and only remove in still air box.

When working inside a still air box slow, deliberate movements are key. Try not to create drafts with movement etc.

revfunk

revfunk

Supporter
Mushies scare you, but you'll take lsd?

Lsd = 8-12 hrs "madness"
Mushies 4-6 hrs of waves.

I've eaten 10x more acid than most. I'd gladly take mushies vs acid any day now.

Yup. I've dosed hundreds of times, sometimes 20-40 doses at a time. I'd prefer 10-20 grams of mushies anyday!!!!

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

so i have started to gather some supplies to start my very first bulk substrate and mono tub!!!!! i kind of got taken for a sucker on a $15 bag of 5lbs of grains... turns out i can get a 50lb bag of oats for $14!!! i won't b making that mistake again.

DSCN0231

the jars were on sale for $9 a pack... i prefer the wide mouth but they didn't have any... folks like the regular mouth for moonshine so if i pick up wide mouths in the future i'll just use these for shine!!!

i picked up a couple tubs, not the huge one just the mid size to get started. i ordered a few goodies online too... some polyfill, gypsum, injection ports, and some syringe filters because i would like to give liquid culture a shot.

i'm pretty excited about it so i'm gonna get started in a few days!!!!

My brf cakes are still colonizing. i may soak them in the next few days, i saw a pin on just two of the jars so i'll be patient.

i may use the second round of brf cakes to grow a mono tub with, not decided yet...

🙃

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

so i have started to gather some supplies to start my very first bulk substrate and mono tub!!!!! i kind of got taken for a sucker on a $15 bag of 5lbs of grains... turns out i can get a 50lb bag of oats for $14!!! i won't b making that mistake again.

View attachment 1000394

the jars were on sale for $9 a pack... i prefer the wide mouth but they didn't have any... folks like the regular mouth for moonshine so if i pick up wide mouths in the future i'll just use these for shine!!!

i picked up a couple tubs, not the huge one just the mid size to get started. i ordered a few goodies online too... some polyfill, gypsum, injection ports, and some syringe filters because i would like to give liquid culture a shot.

i'm pretty excited about it so i'm gonna get started in a few days!!!!

My brf cakes are still colonizing. i may soak them in the next few days, i saw a pin on just two of the jars so i'll be patient.

i may use the second round of brf cakes to grow a mono tub with, not decided yet...

🙃
For sure you got taken, lesson learned. For coco try to get the big 5kg brick at the grow store. Mine has em for 10 bux.

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

For sure you got taken, lesson learned. For coco try to get the big 5kg brick at the grow store. Mine has em for 10 bux.

yeah when i realized it a couple days ago i felt like goober!!!

thanks for the coco tip, that is the one thing i didn't have to buy this time, i buy those 5kg bricks for my worm farm though. i only get it once every couple years so i'm sure i'll be using more of it now.

HeLLfiReZ, i wanted to ask you a couple questions about your tek... you mentioned that after a harvest you dunk your tub in water to re hydrate it.... is that for a second flush?

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

yeah when i realized it a couple days ago i felt like goober!!!

thanks for the coco tip, that is the one thing i didn't have to buy this time, i buy those 5kg bricks for my worm farm though. i only get it once every couple years so i'm sure i'll be using more of it now.

HeLLfiReZ, i wanted to ask you a couple questions about your tek... you mentioned that after a harvest you dunk your tub in water to re hydrate it.... is that for a second flush?
Yes, you can get 4 to 5 flushes if your mycelium is strong, and contam free. If I get 2 good flushes I'm happy.

I will usually judge it like a soil plant. I know how heavy when spawned and fully hydrated. After a flush I lift the tub, if really light I dunk. If they are still fairly heavy (usually a mediocre flush) I pull back the liner and bottom water.

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

Yes, you can get 4 to 5 flushes if your mycelium is strong, and contam free. If I get 2 good flushes I'm happy.

I will usually judge it like a soil plant. I know how heavy when spawned and fully hydrated. After a flush I lift the tub, if really light I dunk. If they are still fairly heavy (usually a mediocre flush) I pull back the liner and bottom water.

four or five?!?!?! oh you got my tail wagging on that one!!! i didn't realize mono tubs gave more than one flush so yeah i'd be stoked with just two.

thanks so much for the info man!!!

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

I had a fun time making my very first grain jars the other day!!! i washed and soaked the grains overnight along with coffee and gypsum. then the next day i simmered it all for about 20 minutes or so, stained them off and poured them out onto a kitchen towel spread em all out even and waited till they didn't stick to my fingers then filled up the jars and pressure cooked them for over 90 minutes at fifteen psi. the next day i inoculated them with my favorite strain Golden Teacher. I also made up a jar to try out liquid culture, just corn syrup and water with a syringe filter and injection port on the lid with a marble inside to stir things up!!

DSCN0242

I made five quart jars in total, four of them for a mono tub and one just to try out grain to grain transfer. I'm stoked because in just two days i have mycelium growing already!!!

DSCN0241

and i'm pretty sure the brf cakes are fully colonized. i brought them out of the dark yesterday hoping that they start to pin before i birth them....

DSCN0244

but having a lot of fun with the new hobby!!!!!!

😎

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

I have been pretty slack lately. But i have some agar and grain on the go.Grabbed 50kg of whole oats for $30 to try out.

View attachment 1006890View attachment 1006887View attachment 1006891

Ahhhh yeah!!! soakin the oats!!!!! i won't be too far behind you this time, i plan to start my second batch at the end of this week.

HeLLfiReZ, I have another question for you, i believe you mentioned that you used four jars of spawn for your size tubs... . i have a couple different tubs here at home that are both at least 12 inches tall but with different footprints on the bottom. so my question is: what is the bottom footprint size of your tubs?

i have one that is 11" x 12" (28cm x 30cm) and another that is 11" x 16" (28cm x 40cm) i would like to use the one that matches yours the closest so i have a proper recipe to start with and will adjust from there the next time.

my grain jars are doing well so far, i've been breaking them up almost every day... keeping a close eye on contams too... i didn't use a glove box or flow hood at all this last time. instead, i used my small guest bathroom and put all the jars and needle and torch and stuff on the counter then i ran my large ozone generator in there for abut an hour, the entire room was a haze of ozone when i slipped in... held my breath and quick shot up all the jars!!! then i left and waited a half hour or so to go back in and grab the finished jars.

so far so good, no nastys detected yet....

DSCN0265

and my liquid culture jar is doing it's thing.....

I have the brf cakes in my fruiting box... i have a fan and fogger on it so i don't need to fan and spray at all... but they're growing some little chubbies!!!

DSCN0263

thanks for the help!!!!!!
😎

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

Looks like things are on their way. You got some shrooms happening. I will measure my tubs tommorow.

No need to break up the mycelium daily. I usually let a good sized chunk start then shake once. When you break it up it takes a day to kinda repair itself before it takes off again. With lc i inject then shake right away and that's all it needs usually.

As for contams it looks good. You will really find out when you spawn to coir. If your tubs contam before the first flush you had dirty spawn. If not your doing something right.

HeLLfiReZ

HeLLfiReZ

Here is the tub size you were after.
That size is perfect for the 650g coir recipe. Next size up doubles it, size after is triple.

20200729 093509 Film4
stoneyluv

stoneyluv

Looks like things are on their way. You got some shrooms happening. I will measure my tubs tommorow.

No need to break up the mycelium daily. I usually let a good sized chunk start then shake once. When you break it up it takes a day to kinda repair itself before it takes off again. With lc i inject then shake right away and that's all it needs usually.

As for contams it looks good. You will really find out when you spawn to coir. If your tubs contam before the first flush you had dirty spawn. If not your doing something right.

I totally understand about not breaking them up often... i was just excited. i'll leave em be for a while.

and i gotcha on the contam not showing till tub time... maybe i won't start the next batch till after the tub produces without issue before i try the ozone in the bathroom again. i could always go back to the glove box.. that thing is so hard to see through..

i appreciate your help man... thank you!!!!!

Here is the tub size you were after.
That size is perfect for the 650g coir recipe. Next size up doubles it, size after is triple.

thanks, those are close to the same measurements of the tops of mine... i have four that are 30 quart, i plan to add a couple quarts of left over vermiculite in the coir any extra i may have after one tub i will use for my worm farm so no waste anyway...

i could also use the grains i made for a grain to grain deal but with the liquid culture working i may just stick with that and not do any grain to grain, or maybe move on to just agar... time will tell, but if i needed extra grain spawn in the tub it wouldn't break my heart to use the fifth jar.

thanks again man!!!

Latest posts

Top Bottom