Mushroom thread

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I get that overthinking. It's only good up to a point then you just have to hash it out with your hands.
I'm inching my way to getting some tutorials together... tried to just paint my livingroom and that turned into scraping off 80 year old paint, repairing cracks in plaster, and throwing joint compound all over the fuckin' place.
Love this old house, but god damn.

With an old house like that prep is everything. Pretty amazing what a tube of calk and gallon of paint can accomplish.

beluga

beluga

With an old house like that prep is everything. Pretty amazing what a tube of calk and gallon of paint can accomplish.
For sure... usually.
A lot of the paint here is bubbling at the base layer... basically the only way to remedy it properly is to scrape it all the way down the plaster. Think removing wallpaper but ten times worse.
Had to do a good 70% of one of the livingroom walls... a good 18'...
This house is a damn project, but that's the only way to get something remotely decent without being filthy rich around here.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I met a local guy tonight thats taking me under his wing. He has his shit on lockdown, doing it commercially for a decade apparently. Funny enough i knew him already, just had no idea he did this. Pretty awesome lol, small island.

Anyway he has Pans, penis envy and about a dozen other strains in agar he is willing to hook me up with once i get the process down. And hes gonna come by to assist with my first grain culture. Pretty stoked. Fuk i love where i live.
What part of the country do you live?

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
British Columbia, Canada.
Ah, so your over here in the west, very cool. Kinda the "polar" opposite of Aquaman. You're living on the coast, on an island? Vancover looks like it's got a bunch of small Islands, and I suppose there's probably many more than what the maps are showing along the west coast of BC in the Haida Gwaii, I need to get up there on day and see it all.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Ah, so your over here in the west, very cool. Kinda the "polar" opposite of Aquaman. You're living on the coast, on an island? Vancover looks like it's got a bunch of small Islands, and I suppose there's probably many more than what the maps are showing along the west coast of BC in the Haida Gwaii, I need to get up there on day and see it all.
Yep, southern gulf islands near Nanaimo.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Yep, southern gulf islands near Nanaimo.
LOL, your about 60 miles away. I've been looking at property on Hat Island, and maybe Anderson Island, but I would probably need to buy a boat. Who knows, maybe it could happen, but I've been looking at a lot other stuff down in Oregon, and/or East of the Mountains. I'd l love to get something here in Seattle, but I don't have a half million dollars for doing that.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
LOL, your about 60 miles away. I've been looking at property on Hat Island, and maybe Anderson Island, but I would probably need to buy a boat. Who knows, maybe it could happen, but I've been looking at a lot other stuff down in Oregon, and/or East of the Mountains. I'd l love to get something here in Seattle, but I don't have a half million dollars for doing that.

Its not a cheap place to live thats for sure.

Well I hope wheat works well, Ive got 50lb of it. Was damn cheap actually. $18 or something.
20201118 132758

Couple last min questions before i get this going this weekend. Is gypsum absolutely necessary? I had a bunch for brewing but Im fresh out. And it can be a pain for me to get.

Also, for a rough idea, @beluga about how long did it take your presto to hit 15psi when set to high on the glass top stove? I understand i want to set the 90-120 min timer once i hit 15, and i guess thats the main concern for me not having a guage.. I'll go by the sound of the weight too.. just curious.

beluga

beluga

Its not a cheap place to live thats for sure.

Well I hope wheat works well, Ive got 50lb of it. Was damn cheap actually. $18 or something.View attachment 1057376

Couple last min questions before i get this going this weekend. Is gypsum absolutely necessary? I had a bunch for brewing but Im fresh out. And it can be a pain for me to get.

Also, for a rough idea, @beluga about how long did it take your presto to hit 15psi when set to high on the glass top stove? I understand i want to set the 90-120 min timer once i hit 15, and i guess thats the main concern for me not having a guage.. I'll go by the sound of the weight too.. just curious.
Wheat is great as far as I hear. Some people say the best. Never tried it myself... the hippy in me was like, glyphosate?!?! 😱

It took anywhere from a half hour to an hour for that glasstop to get up to 15PSI. What I would usually do to speed it up is use my electric kettle and boil some water to put in there. You could do the same with a thinner pot on the glasstop beforehand if you don't have an electric kettle or something else to speed up the process.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Sweet. Realized i have a half sheet of gypsum board so ill probably just use that as my gypsum source.

Any you guys fart around with coffee in the soak?

And man i didnt even think of glyphosate...

Ah well.. I have it now. And its what i have easiest access to. It was this or oats, and ive read several things about oats that made me go with wheat.

beluga

beluga

Sweet. Realized i have a half sheet of gypsum board so ill probably just use that as my gypsum source.

Any you guys fart around with coffee in the soak?

And man i didnt even think of glyphosate...

Ah well.. I have it now. And its what i have easiest access to. It was this or oats, and ive read several things about oats that made me go with wheat.
I skip the gypsum and the coffee, personally.
Again, not to say it's erroneous, but grain has everything cubes need.

And yeah, I'm sure oats are worse as far as pesticide load goes. I usually go for organic because I'm a fool like that. Not so much with the millet I've been getting, but I read that it tends to be a low-spray grain.

I still don't really know how to feel about organic vs conventional mushrooms. I haven't really heard much other than that they can be used in bioremediation and the soil/compost that they make is remarkably cleaner than what it was before they grew... now, does that mean all that shit is in the mushrooms, or that the mycelium breaks it down into more basic organic forms..? I haven't read too much into it.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I skip the gypsum and the coffee, personally.
Again, not to say it's erroneous, but grain has everything cubes need.

And yeah, I'm sure oats are worse as far as pesticide load goes. I usually go for organic because I'm a fool like that. Not so much with the millet I've been getting, but I read that it tends to be a low-spray grain.

I still don't really know how to feel about organic vs conventional mushrooms. I haven't really heard much other than that they can be used in bioremediation and the soil/compost that they make is remarkably cleaner than what it was before they grew... now, does that mean all that shit is in the mushrooms, or that the mycelium breaks it down into more basic organic forms..? I haven't read too much into it.

A good friend of my wifes is studying bioremediation of soil using mycology, Ill ask her if she knows. Shes a huge fungal nut, if anyone would know its her or paul stamets.

And yeah the gypsum i read is more beneficial with starchy grains like wheat to prevent clumping. Makes sense to me.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Getting closer. Made up a few jar lids today. Ended up using a layer of tyvek on the bottom and a layer of micropore tape over top of it to act as a sort of prefilter. Also made it easier to stick them on and hold in place while i sealed it with silicone. And, i think ill try it with the lids upside down. I want to make it as easy to get into them as possible when it comes to dropping in the agar.
20201119 131717
20201119 133023
20201119 133605
20201119 133630

beluga

beluga

A good friend of my wifes is studying bioremediation of soil using mycology, Ill ask her if she knows.
P.S. - I'm holding you to this🤣

Only kidding.
But if you happen to bring up the conversation, I'd love to know what the standing theories are from an insider's perspective.
Just the gist... no need to get out a notepad.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
P.S. - I'm holding you to this🤣

Only kidding.
But if you happen to bring up the conversation, I'd love to know what the standing theories are from an insider's perspective.
Just the gist... no need to get out a notepad.
Haha i asked her last night, she says as far as she knows with mycoremediation, the mycellium actually change the chemical composition of the soils. She theorized that If they just accumulated toxins, it would just be released back into the soil when the fruiting bodies compost.
But she did say she wasnt 100% sure and would get back to me. She doesnt know for example, what the composition is of mushrooms that have been digesting oil for example.

amekins

amekins

Getting closer. Made up a few jar lids today. Ended up using a layer of tyvek on the bottom and a layer of micropore tape over top of it to act as a sort of prefilter. Also made it easier to stick them on and hold in place while i sealed it with silicone. And, i think ill try it with the lids upside down. I want to make it as easy to get into them as possible when it comes to dropping in the agar.View attachment 1057769View attachment 1057770View attachment 1057772View attachment 1057773
It’s getting close to going down 😍

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
It’s getting close to going down 😍

Im pretty excited, gotta tell ya. I havent been so hooked by a hobby in a long time.

Tomorrow ill prep the grain and soak it overnight. Saturday, itll get loaded into jars and pressure canned. Sunday, if all goes well, I'll do the deed of dropping some fungus!

amekins

amekins

Im pretty excited, gotta tell ya. I havent been so hooked by a hobby in a long time.

Tomorrow ill prep the grain and soak it overnight. Saturday, itll get loaded into jars and pressure canned. Sunday, if all goes well, I'll do the deed of dropping some fungus!
And I’ll be living vicariously and following along.

Latest posts

Top Bottom