Mushroom thread

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
beluga

beluga

My jars are pretty much 100% colonized and ready for the birth and fruiting experience. I used a spore syring and it worked great for this novice, but now that one process is ending, questions come up on how to continue this process.
Once the shrooms have sprung, I can get a spore print from them and do it that way, but is there an easier way to clone this stuff that is as simple as using a spore syringe? Is it as simple as taking a chunk of the mycelium and plopping it into another jar full of prepared grain/medium? Contamination is a big concern, which is the main reason I'm asking.
What dirtbag and bahs said pretty much covers it.

Collecting spore prints and making a spore syringe is definitely the easiest.
But it is definitely the quickest route to contamination.
I recommend looking into making and pouring agar media onto petri dishes so you can obtain and expand clean cultures.
I think expanding mycelium from a cake or grain that you are uncertain is contaminant-free is a road to many headaches.

I have a thread over here that goes into the clean cell culturing methods It's in its infancy because I'm a bit of a slow mover and so are my cultures right now in my 65ºF house. But it does go over pouring agar and germinating spores on agar. As well as fundamentals and the methodology.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
These spawn jars are really coming along. One or two are a bit ahead of the rest... I figure another week for a couple of these, maybe 2 for the rest.
Ill spawn 6 of them into 4 shoeboxes and use the 7th, and healthiest looking one for a G2G of 7 more jars.
20201204 102009

Bahs Creole

Bahs Creole

I have a SAB c clamped onto another clear tote with the armholes on the top.. so I can turn over full quart jars. Like a double tall still air box.

Bahs Creole

Bahs Creole

I just always shut off my ac or heat, take a shower rub down with iso alcohol and spray lysol all over everything, before I work in the still air box.. also try and move very slow..

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I just always shut off my ac or heat, take a shower rub down with iso alcohol and spray lysol all over everything, before I work in the still air box.. also try and move very slow..
Same. I went Walter White style straight from the shower to the SAB workstation in my skivvies. Soaked my arms and hands in 70%iso and sprayed lysol all over the damn place lol.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Gotcha.. I was gonna ask what the secret is lol.

Boy, shaking these jars to bust up the initial ball of mycellium really works well. In addition to spreading around colonized grains it must also make a schwack of sattelite colonies. My jars are filling in so quick now its thrown off my timeline. These could be done before I know it.

How long after going fully white should I wait before bulking to coir? Speaking of.. I decided to do 2 shoeboxes of coir and vermiculite, and 2 boxes of coir/vermiculite/worm castings to see the difference. Only way to know mang..
Plan is to water bath pasteurize all my bulk sub in either jars or freezer bags. Probably jars.
20201204 132445

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Gotcha.. I was gonna ask what the secret is lol.

Boy, shaking these jars to bust up the initial ball of mycellium really works well. In addition to spreading around colonized grains it must also make a schwack of sattelite colonies. My jars are filling in so quick now its thrown off my timeline. These could be done before I know it.

How long after going fully white should I wait before bulking to coir? Speaking of.. I decided to do 2 shoeboxes of coir and vermiculite, and 2 boxes of coir/vermiculite/worm castings to see the difference. Only way to know mang..
Plan is to water bath pasteurize all my bulk sub in either jars or freezer bags. Probably jars.View attachment 1063850
I checked the bottom of my jars today and they were totally colonized, with the bottom being the final area being colonized. Like @Dirtbag, I'm wondering how long I should, or shouldn't, keep these in the jar before putting in the bin/perlite.
If I can pull this thing off, I look forward to trying some of the grain recipes.

beluga

beluga

I checked the bottom of my jars today and they were totally colonized, with the bottom being the final area being colonized. Like @Dirtbag, I'm wondering how long I should, or shouldn't, keep these in the jar before putting in the bin/perlite.
If I can pull this thing off, I look forward to trying some of the grain recipes.
Give them another couple days after they're 100% visibly colonized and then birth 'em.

beluga

beluga

Are these 3 ready?
Super excited to do my first mono tub run:)View attachment 1063929
Looks like you have a few things going on in those.
I would try spawning one of them to a shoebox... 6qt clear tote... and seeing what happens.
If that goes green, you might be able to top fruit them - just take the lid off > put an inch or so of coir or vermiculite or a mix of the two > put an upside-down ziplock bag over top of that with a few tiny holes poked in it.

Top Bottom