Must my oscillating fan run 24/7?

• Thread starter Marcus47
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Marcus47

I have a small tent - 2ft x 3ft x 5.5ft. - with 2 plants.

One 250W HID.... An exhaust fan running 24/7.

Should my oscillating fan run 24/7 too.. or can I time it?

TIA

juniorgrower

juniorgrower

I like to run mine 24/7. I like it to blow on my plants constantly because it makes the branches thicker so I don't have to stake them up. I think it also helps keeps the air moving around the plants so they get fresh co2.

jagle

jagle

i agree with juniorgrower, i keep my oscillating fans 24/7 too, as indoor growers we do things to minic nature or improve on it, and in nature there is always wind, therefore i run my osc fans 24/7, also for small spaces like yours it helps cut down on any mold issues and keeps airflow moving..

have you an intake fan or passive intake?

M

Marcus47

Thanks for your advice guys. (I was just worried about the fan burning out if going 24/7. It's been running since May!)

@Jagle - I have passive intake... and a carbon filter on it.

jagle

jagle

ive used a fan for months on end, no problems, but if you are that worried, maybe have it turn off for 30 minutes every hour at night...?

youve a carbon filter on your intake? kinda unnecessary i think.. and if its passive then i doubt its pulling much through

M

Marcus47

@Jagle - Maybe I dodn't explain i twell? (This is my first grow).

I have a carbon filter 'in front of' my exhaust fan which then pumps air out a 4" flexible vent. Because this is my first attempt, I wanted to take every precaution regarding odors.

jagle

jagle

ok, so in side your grow space you have a carbon filter, which is then attached to the fan, forming a tight seal, and then out a exhaust vent. thats all fine, as long as the carbon filter/fan/exhaust vent are all sealed tight..

so you have no carbon filter on your intake?

M

Marcus47

Yes, Jagle - you have it right... and they are all sealed with duct tape. AND - there is no carbon filter on my intake. (I didn't' explain it well earlier... Sorry for the confusion)

jagle

jagle

ok, they are sealed, so thats great.. and no problem about the confusion, yes indeed you dont need a carbon filter on your intake, may i ask how big is your passive intake? where is the intake drawing the air from? where is the tent located?

M

Marcus47

(Thanks for taking the time to help, Jagle.)

The tent is in my unheated/uncooled garage - which has no air circulation.

The intake vent is about 8" x 10". I keep the garage window open for some air circulation (which is why I added carbon filter - so that the air would be 'clean' before wafting to the outside.)

jagle

jagle

ok, you can also place onagel when flower gets bad to help remove smell, or place a second carbon filter in garage scrubbing air in the tent area..

how are your temps and humidity doing? without the proper air intake you can end up with issues, also is your exhaust just being exhausted in the garage too??

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

ive had the same honeywell fans for about 3 years, run 24/7 never crapped out yet.

you more concerned about your nugs or the 25$ from the fan?

odors in a 2x3x5.5 shouldnt be too bad.

HONESTLY, IMVHO, id just spend 10$ on those glade gel things, and place them around every door going into that room.

i ran a 4x4 tent in an apt back in the day and just used those and Ona gel, never had a problem.
if costs are a concern you can make carbon filters for spaces that size pretty easy. pm me i'd be more than happy to show you how to make one for 30$.

M

Marcus47

@Jag - Humidity has been acceptable so far, and with harvest expected in the first week of Sept, I don't foresee any problems. Heat is another matter entirely... Throughout the summer the temps in that tent often reached over 100F. I know this is far too high, but we've had a summer-long heat wave and my garage is not airconditioned. I think my plants did get stressed - they don't have as many leaves as they should. :-( But the buds look good. I'm just hoping everything holds together until Labor Day harvest. (I'm also hoping we never see another heatwave like we did this year.)

@Classic - My concern was with the fan burning out or causing a fire. The electricity to run the fan is not an issue. It's good to know that fans can run as long as yours without problems. I may look into the Gel next spring. (I must say though that odors have not been a problem so far. I could have done without the carbon filter. But better safe than sorry.)

Classic Remix

Classic Remix

what kind of fans do you use? are you in america?

nowadays quality has greatly improved since 1960. like i said im at 3+ years and have never had to think about a fire from my fan.

if its fcc/ul listed it should be straight, i would think anyways

M

Marcus47

I'm in Michigan. I think the fan is a honeywell... I bought it new for $20. It's the kind you put a a table and it swivels from side to side.

After hearing about yours running for 3 years, I'm not worried any longer. :-)

Latest posts

Top Bottom