Mutant

• Thread starter GanjaGardener
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

One of the seedlings from a run of 50 f-1s and f-2s that I started a couple of months ago, (mostly Skunk x Moroccan LR), distinguished itself from it's relatives when, at 4 weeks, it shot out 2 fan leaves on petioles that were roughly twice the length of the plant's 4" meristem. I figured that the plant might've been over-juiced w/ rooting hormone or that I'd slipped up on the nute ratio and didn't give it any more thought, until...

I got back to the plant a couple of weeks later during a mass thinning/training session. As I began to separate what looked like 2 fan leaves pushing into each other at the top of the plant, my fingers couldn't find a second petiole and the fan leaves that I was separating weren't 2 leaves at all, but a single leaf w/ 12 points. (I had to count and recount them several times before I was sure. I had a good buzz on at the time. lol) Further examination revealed that the leaf was growing from the crotch of a "Y" that had been created when the meristem divided ("butterflied" ) into 2 discreet main stems w/ growth that essentially divided the plant into 2 mirror images. ie rorschach test. A couple of days later, I discovered 2 pairs of axillary branches (4 total) growing out of the third level, (2nd level down from the Y)

I'm not a botanist, but my understanding is that this phenomenon isn't particularly unusual, although it is rare in some species/cultivars. (For instance, a breeder associate- he being the breeder, I being the associate- is working w/ a couple of ChemDog mutants which, I believe, qualifies as rare.) Perhaps this plant was simply feeling so good inside that it wanted to be two of itself. I know that mutations have the capacity of bringing vigor and potency into the gene pool, so I've rooted a dozen cuts to preserve the genetics just in case it's worthy.

I'm not 100% sure that the plant knew it's sexual preference early on- I could swear that I saw double wisps on more than one occasion and had it sussed as a female until it finished it's first week in 12/12. I moved it to the "Man Cave"- a male lounge and part-time commode - and sprayed one side w/ mono potassium phosphate, (Reverse), in an attempt to force some female buds for self-pollination and s1 beans. This could very well be much ado about nothing, but it beats the hell out of the alternative. (whatever the hell that is.)

Here are a couple of pics that I was able to finesse out of my dying camera. (50 days until Santa arrives!!)
[/CENTER]
I'm pulling back 12 point leaf, (bottom center) The leaf assumed center position when meristem split.
Mutant2

You can see 3 of the axillaries- You'll have to trust me on #4.
Mutant4

The leaf atrophied early and I lost a blade.
Mutantleaf6

"Man Cave" If and when I see some female signs, I'll isolate from male stock.
Mutant 4

Mancave

jimmyhoffa59

jimmyhoffa59

You simply just have an ugly plant that you should toss. :fixed:

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

One breeder friend suggests that I wait and see while another fellow grower tells me to trash it. What's a guy to do? :cool0041:
I think I'll light up and walk over to the garden. lol
Thanks for the input- odds are yer right.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

I appreciate the "what" (as in "what I should/can do w/ it") but I'm more interested in the "why". If trashing the plant is the obvious no brainer that jimmyhoffa suggests, it would help to know why. ie a little elaboration would go a long way. Thanks.

Oh yeah... "ugly" can mean different things-be used in different ways. If it's about cosmetics, than it's a matter of the eye of the beholder and his aesthetic filter. Not really central to the topic, but worth noting.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

it's a freak, all right. Not always a bad thing, in my experience. If you have the room and the plant count, why not run it and see how it does. I'd keep a close eye out for herm tendencies, though. Most mutations do not end up improving anything, but I do know of a couple that were kept for years, due to the quality they produced. Have fun, and take notes! Good luck.

I

ibTheMan

Them genes got hit by a cosmic ray,changen its chromes. Maybe (really can happen.lol

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

altitudefarmer--Thanks for the solid bit of info and perspective. You're on the same page as my breeder friend (who's a member here and got me to this site.)

I have no emotional attachment to undesirable or underachieving plants. Last night I yanked a half dozen ladies in mid-bloom to open up space for the real performers. However, I have empathy for the odd ball and am too curious by nature to be left wondering what may or may not have been.

I did modify my original program a bit though. I'm only running 2 cuts and force-flowering the other 10 to see if mama is a male or hermie-prone. The male flowers that I sprayed w/ MKP a week ago have receded and appear to be morphing -> female, so if nothing else, I should be getting a little found bud out of the deal.

Them genes got hit by a cosmic ray,changen its chromes. Maybe (really can happen.lol
robz
They got hit by sumthin. Lol
Words of wisdom and no, I'm not being sarcastic. There's all kinds of shit flying around in the visible universe and through our bodies that we, (through our physicists and mathematicians), know about but can't sense or see. Cosmology/Quantum Physics, along w/ mj growing and fantasy sports, (in no particular order, he-he) account for the majority of my thought life.

If yer into in the Quantum or simply want to see a cool video, check this out:

http://www.newrealitytransmission.com/

Peace

GG

Latest posts

Top Bottom