My $200.00 NFT Rain Gutter system

• Thread starter Canappa
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Chronic Monster

Chronic Monster

Sending good vibes ur way, I used to use a product called hydrofungicide which dds recommended.. it def helped me, but wasn't a fix all especially if things get out of control.
I am in coco for the first time after my last rdwc run took a shit.
Water culture is a fickle bitch, run after run kill it, then one day shit hits the fan, and can't figure out why

Canappa

Canappa

Sending good vibes ur way, I used to use a product called hydrofungicide which dds recommended.. it def helped me, but wasn't a fix all especially if things get out of control.
I am in coco for the first time after my last rdwc run took a shit.
Water culture is a fickle bitch, run after run kill it, then one day shit hits the fan, and can't figure out why

Thanks Bro, Funny you think you know everything until its happens to you. going shopping tomorrow for sure thanks for the good vibes. The funny I already got clones ready just in case it gets to bad. But this system has not let me down before I am not going to let it be my first. "Must have great patience for water culture"

Coir

Coir

Mylar or plastic, either one should be fine as a cover unless the mylar has some sort of chemical on it. The odds are slim but stranger things have happened. If you can raise the far ends of your gutters an inch or so, you can change the level of water in them. Might take a few adjustments but you should be able to get the level where you need it.
I saw a recent post mentioning this: as a cure for root rot problems but I have never seen it or used it so I have no idea if it really works.

Coir

Coir

If you really want to learn more about NFT. You can download "The ABC of NFT" by Dr. Allen Cooper. It's really old school since I believe he was the one that invented this method of growing. Probably the first book I ever read on hydroponic food production.

Canappa

Canappa

Well its been a few days since the gutters got the case of Root Rot, First thing I did was clean the rez , add only nutes that where not dark in color. Bought some more power heads, keeping temps in mid 60's added some hydozyme and peroxide 3%. I can tell today shes is back to drinking up nutes. She sucked down 8-10 gallons in tw0 days. I am starting to see new growth.This is how I can shes doing well. On average I can put up to 10 gallons a day when she starts feeding regularly.

took some pics plants looks healthy to me
DSCF3311
view from underneath
DSCF3309

Close ups
DSCF3307

DSCF3322

Canappa

Canappa

The gutters had a hard start with the Root Rot but got it under control they a drinking about 10gal and a day a flowering nicely.

Think the root rot was my bad not enough air in the rez and temp too high plus while I was trimming some leaves got into the gutters rookie mistake. But I was off for 8 years. its coming back to me.
Group Shot...
The tall ones are my Sin Mint Cookies, SM1 grows so fast shes hard to grow with all the smaller plants.
DSCF3437

Canappa

Canappa

Lots of changes to the last grow I started this system in the 90's ever since I been hooked, this time I decided to make some major changes. To put it simple I bought 4 more gutters and stacked them upside down on top of the other gutters, drilled out 3" holes for pots, ran a 1/2 PVC pipe along the side drilled out more holes for the jet sprayers will go through the gutters. Sealed everything with aquarium glue. Bolted the end so they dont come apart under the pressure. the Pump that I used I bought from Lowe's for $89. All to date its about $500.00 in parts not including lights...

Here are some of the construction pics

IMG1563
3" holes
IMG1571

Jets sealed from the inside and out
IMG1564

IMG1565
To seal the two gutters I used a plastic strip that is normally used to seal two panels together 2 bucks each 8ft
IMG1567

End caps $3
IMG1569
IMG1570

Canappa

Canappa

Just about finished with the update running over night dropping in a room full of FPOG F2's

She should hold 22 very nicely, I never ran this set up I guess its a NFT Aeroflow gutter system? ;)
DSCF4383
DSCF4385
DSCF4393
Pump is 1500 gph and it too power full I think
DSCF4396
DSCF4397
Running about 8psi and its way more than I needed
DSCF4421

Bolted down as an added precaution
DSCF4398
DSCF4399
DSCF4411
Nice shower going on roots are going to love it , I hope
DSCF4413
DSCF4426

R

ryangrow

Hi canappa. I'm new here. From South Africa. I would like to know do u fill the gutters with hydroton?

Canappa

Canappa

Hi canappa. I'm new here. From South Africa. I would like to know do u fill the gutters with hydroton?

Hello ryangrow, no the gutter do not have nothing inside them It it free from any obstruction so that the roots can run freely among the gutters. I have tried many years ago to fill the gutters with pebbles and it did not work out to well it was hard to keep them in the gutter and once the roots began to grow the it was hard for the water to pass and it flooded.

Over the years I have found out that the faster the water mover the better the roots grow. this is my first time running this set up with the pots suspended of the gutters. After getting root rot from my last run I Knew I had to change it. thanks for stopping by and welcome to the Farm!

Canappa

Canappa

Well after on week of running the new set up, there are some thing I should have done before running it. Seal every little crack and cranny because if you dont it will leak trust me I spent all week sealing little leaks, But other than that I a very pleased the way it running the roots are growing and the clones are also growing so I must be doing something right:D. The best part about it is that its so clean not one gram of dirt used.

Pisces

Pisces

If the pump has too much pressure, then you can easily make a pressure release valve inside the Rez.
I have…and it is by far one of the best decisions I've made.

All you need is a "T" fitting and a ball valve.

Canappa

Canappa

If the pump has too much pressure, then you can easily make a pressure release valve inside the Rez.
I have…and it is by far one of the best decisions I've made.

All you need is a "T" fitting and a ball valve.

right now running 24 jets at 8 psi is doing well anymore would be too much I have ball valves coming out of the pump and I can easily control the pressure thanks for the info bro...I will look into it

Canappa

Canappa

DSCF5219
DSCF5218
Ok Finally broke down and bought a dehumidifier from craigslist and hooked to the cooling coils to me rez, I am now running a cool 62-68 degrees 24/7 the roots are exploding with new growth!

The heat that come out of this thing sucks I am going to try and set up an external rez outside of this room and chill it over there thats the only bad thing about it.

Canappa

Canappa

DSCF5421
Here you go @Trich king some of the pics of the diy chiller in action. I woke up this morning and checked the temps when the lights first turned on and it was cold. I had to put a timer on the chiller a few wks ago, turning on and off ever 15 min to bring the temps up. It now averages 64 -68 during the day, I took a few temp reading to see what my temps where. It looking good massive roots for sure.

Here is the set up with the diy exhaust duct work
DSCF5396
DSCF5423

Res Temp
DSCF5432

Root temp
DSCF5430
Group shot with the new set up
DSCF5440

Last edited:
Trich king

Trich king

Be right back gotta go change my boxers, lol. Very nice bro & yeah like that chiller/exhaust, brilliant. Keep posting bro.
damn hadnt seen root shot yet, would def say your system is functioning very well.

Last edited:
Canappa

Canappa

@caveman4.20 , the difference in like night and day, The biggest is the ph and ppm stay very stable I check it once in the morning and once at night. The roots have no chance of root rot with the cold temps. I been running the gutter system for many years , I just now upgraded it and added the aeroflow to run with it. I my personal opinion the is as simple as it gets in running a hydro system. I ran a 100 gal res years back I checked it once a week. I am running a smaller res than I would like but I am still working on the final touches to have the system complete. I am so glad to finally have the system dialed in just right with the addition of the aeroflow jets.

Last edited:
Top Bottom