My attempt at a grow log 😁

• Thread starter Tracyfri
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tracyfri

Tracyfri

This is from right now
IMG 20210807 183357

It doesnt look that bad definetly reverseable but some closer pictures would be better

Scar818

Scar818

So are you gonna grow them in 1 gallon or are you going to put them in bigger pots? Cuz 1 gallon pots are too small i think. But they are looking healthy now just umm are you using calmag or no?

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

Taking them all the way in one gallon pots of coco. Some are in two gallon pots at the end of the room. The jacks 3-2-1 should have plenty of cal mag. I upped it a bit just the same. Yes I was thinking about throwing some gh Cali magic in there too but I really shouldn't have to. The larger pots aren't showing it nearly as bad. I'm putting on new timers tonight so I can water in second intervals. The timer I'm using now only does up to four times a day a minute at a time. Great for peat based substrate.. the single cola plants in one gallon pots I'm top feeding in a 2x4 tray are cranking! They get 10 waterings a day at 40 seconds each.
Learning curve. Last run which was my first time in coco.I used 3 gallon pots w zero issues great harvest too👍👍.

Scar818

Scar818

I also use 3 gallon pots but i think less than 3 is pushing it and 1 is too small but hope it works out. Anyway i just see a tad bit of magnesium deficiency thats about it

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I use 1 gal pots of coco for plants with a 3-4 week veg from clone, you just need to feed a lot more often, I was feeding plants 5 times per lights on cycle and once in the dark. It works very well but you do need to feed a lot.

Great looking room @Tracyfri, I'm sure you will pull this around. I'll have a better read through the other posts for more details of what you're doing, see if I can offer any insights.

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
@Tracyfri could you share some more details? Room temp, RH, fertigation duration and how many ferts per day?, do you water to runoff? What EC and ph are you feeding at? Are you using H2O2 or hydroguard?
What is your starting water ec and ph?

Sorry for so many questions.

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

Taking them all the way in one gallon pots of coco. Some are in two gallon pots at the end of the room. The jacks 3-2-1 should have plenty of cal mag. I upped it a bit just the same. Yes I was thinking about throwing some gh Cali magic in there too but I really shouldn't have to. The larger pots aren't showing it nearly as bad. I'm putting on new timers tonight so I can water in second intervals. The timer I'm using now only does up to four times a day a minute at a time. Great for peat based substrate.. the single cola plants in one gallon pots I'm top feeding in a 2x4 tray are cranking! They get 10 waterings a day at 40 seconds each.
Learning curve. Last run which was my first time in coco.I used 3 gallon pots w zero issues great harvest too👍👍.
The 3 gal pots were not completely filled w roots at harvest time. That's what made me go to 1 gal pots plus reading how other farmers like yourself do it in 1 gal w good results.

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

Okay so I had the main part of the room on zone valves and a lawn irrigation controller. This set up served me well for mamy years in peat based substrates. It only gave me the option to water one minute at a time. I used ALOT OF WATER last grow. I just switched it out to nearpow timers for each of the two zones. Now I've got some serious flexibility and will hopefully will save some water. They used to show runoff before the usual one minute increment was completed = def more than 20 percent runoff.
ShaaHIT! Was I tired of filling the rez 2x per week! No more solinoid valves. I'm going to add the valves and controller to the flower and veggie gardens. Yay. 😂 I'm whacked! Here's a couple more pics.
I still haven't gotten to pruning tucking and defoliation of left side of the mother plants. I screwed my knee up somehow and it's agony to keep bending down. What a pansy right?
The single cola plants in the 2x4 doi g well but I have no excuse for not pruning them. The single cola idea might b scrapped in favor of small bushes? They were vegged too long I know. Kind of hard to make them out.

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

@Tracyfri could you share some more details? Room temp, RH, fertigation duration and how many ferts per day?, do you water to runoff? What EC and ph are you feeding at? Are you using H2O2 or hydroguard?
What is your starting water ec and ph?

Sry I didn't see your post. Yes Id love to give u all that info np. It may be a bit later today. ✌️

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

What is your starting water and ph?

Room temp- 78-83 f
RH 58-63
Fertigation on entire right side 6x a day 40 sec duration (as of last night. ) Used to be 1 min 4xa day. 6gph on all one gallon pots
I water to runoff definitely but thinking it was running through too fast.
Feeding at 800 ppm ph6.0
No h202 or hydroguard unless I have concerns.
Starting water 30 ppm
Starting ph 7.1
Lmk if you need any other info. Thanks brother for any and all input!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Room temp- 78-83 f
RH 58-63
Fertigation on entire right side 6x a day 40 sec duration (as of last night. ) Used to be 1 min 4xa day. 6gph on all one gallon pots
I water to runoff definitely but thinking it was running through too fast.
Feeding at 800 ppm ph6.0
No h202 or hydroguard unless I have concerns.
Starting water 30 ppm
Starting ph 7.1
Lmk if you need any other info. Thanks brother for any and all input!
Right on @Tracyfri, only thing I'd say is the ph could be a bit lower but really most of it looks totally fine, which leads me back to H2O2, which I would strongly recommend using in any highly saturated medium like coco or rockwool. Those systems can be prone to causing root issues if proactive disease prevention measures aren't factored into IPM. Most commonly peroxide, UV or a combination of both. Alternatively using a beneficial protectant like hydroguard, which I feel is less effective. I personally use a combo of UV and H2O2 for nutrient solution disinfectant purposes and rootzone health.

What im getting at is when all parameters are good and I still see issues, I look for problems less easily identified, generally in the rootzone. Either a root pathogen or insect pest is something to rule out. And running the media sterile is a great way to protect against the former.

Last edited:
Tracyfri

Tracyfri

Right on @Tracyfri, only thing I'd say is the ph could be a bit lower but really most of it looks totally fine, which leads me back to H2O2, which I would strongly recommend using in any highly saturated medium like coco or rockwool. Those systems can be prone to causing root issues if proactive disease abatement measures aren't factored into IPM. Most commonly peroxide, UV or a combination of both. Alternatively using a beneficial protectant like hydroguard, which I feel is less effective. I personally use a combo of UV and H2O2 for nutrient solution disinfectant purposes and rootzone health.

What im getting at is when all perameters are good and I still see issues, I look for problems less easily identified, generally in the rootzone. Either a root pathogen or insect pest is something to rule out. And running the media sterile is a great way to protect against the former.
I'm all over that. Sounds like great advice and I'll take it 👍👍👍

jguit

jguit

Supporter
I personally use a combo of UV and H2O2 for nutrient solution disinfectant purposes and rootzone health.

What im getting at is when all perameters are good and I still see issues, I look for problems less easily identified, generally in the rootzone. Either a root pathogen or insect pest is something to rule out. And running the media sterile is a great way to protect against the former.
Forgive the dumb question but what's the dosage of H2O2 and how often?

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

Nothing with my plant friends is ever a guarantee I'm not saying this is but it's worth looking into.
I just realized the plant are showing signs of root suffocation. Like over-watering. Sappy growth lacking that true green, here and there signs of leaf stress. In spite of it being Coco if I kept the moisture content consistently high enough it could still cause o2 depletion of root zone. I could be slightly chronically over-watering the coco? I looked closer at the runoff. I wish I had a way of easily collecting it to know how much is there. So my estimation is that it's more than enough.
I went from 45 sec every other hour to 25 sec.
I'll try and post pics what I mean.

+1 to the h202!!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Nothing with my plant friends is ever a guarantee I'm not saying this is but it's worth looking into.
I just realized the plant are showing signs of root suffocation. Like over-watering. Sappy growth lacking that true green, here and there signs of leaf stress. In spite of it being Coco if I kept the moisture content consistently high enough it could still cause o2 depletion of root zone. I could be slightly chronically over-watering the coco? I looked closer at the runoff. I wish I had a way of easily collecting it to know how much is there. So my estimation is that it's more than enough.
I went from 45 sec every other hour to 25 sec.
I'll try and post pics what I mean.

+1 to the h202!!
Are you measuring your runoff ppm?

For mature, fully rooted plants in coco it is damn near impossible to overwater them.
And the signs of root suffocation and root rot, pythium or fusarium is all very similar. looks like uptake issues. But overwatering would be accompanied by excessive leaf droop in addition to the mild chlorosis thats developing. Even fully saturated the coco will hold enough O2, so long as it's not heavily compacted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom