My Disappointing, even PATHETIC Grow!

• Thread starter Kampbe1l
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigCube

BigCube

looked thru these forums...where's the guide about DWC nutrients, reservoir top-ups & exchanges, TDS/EC, nutrient charts?

while i am waiting for the first batch to fill the tent's canopy, i'm getting side-tracked with other projects, including this DWC exploration.

you are right, even though i haven't even planted, hydro is fun!

Do you think i should drill a hole towards the bottom of the bucket to house an water-level indicator/outlet tubing?

found some seeds, and all i know is that they must be really old, about to find a saucer, and paper towels, to see if any germinates. these can be the test specimen for my new DWC setup, while i sort out some genetics. this DWC experiment is part of the plans for a second batch.

I would stay away from sight glass type modifications in DWC. It's a very easy way to introduce alge.

A better way is a pvc tube going in the lid to the bottom of the inside of the bucket. Then a synthetic cork or other inert float, at the bottom with a stick or wire in it. So as the water level goes up, the stick/wire rises in the pvc pipe. And lowers as the water level lowers. You can make Mark's on it to indicate levels.

The top of the tube can be lidded with a small hole for the stick/wire. This is a much better way to indicate water level, it cant leak, and it doesnt allow light in to your DWC so it doesnt introduce alge.

Hope this helps!

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

okay, seems like a much better idea. is this what you do?

even thinking of getting rid of the water-level indicator, all together. don't drill any more holes to the bucket/lid, it would work as it is...

BigCube

BigCube

okay, seems like a much better idea. is this what you do?

even thinking of getting rid of the water-level indicator, all together. don't drill any more holes to the bucket/lid, it would work as it is...

It's what I used to do. Now I just look in a port I make for 2" neoprene plug in the lid. It's also what I use to service the bucket.

But Ive strayed away from DWC in favor of promix hpcc these days.. it seems to be better for a tent setup. DWC takes up too much vertical space.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

Air-pumps! I've purchased 3 air-pumps in the last 2 months.

I first randomly bought the Aqua One PR9500, without reading up any reviews on a suitable air-pump. This PR9500 is industrial LOUD, unbearably noisy even in the adjoining lounge room to the kitchen, later where the aquarium be. Beared with this noise, as my aquarium needs an air-pump running. I read, after this purchase, review about unhappy buyers commenting about PR9500's noise level.

So, I purchased the second air-pump, Fluval Q5, manufacturer claiming 'low noise', and after reading up on reviews. Okay, this Q5 is quieter than the PR9500. Still, this Q5 buzzed noticably, though there was instant great relief when the PR9500 was swapped out.

Today, I got my 3rd air-pump in recent times. And this Whisperer 100 is quiet, not silent as it suggests. Now, this new air-pump is what I deem acceptable in its noise level, a small buzz which doesn't annoy the shit out of me!

So, the PR9500 is back into storage, to be the backup emergency if either the Whisperer 100 or Fluval Q5 fails. Both pumps are essential, Whisperer 100 running the aquarium and Fluval Q5 to run DWC.

Oh, I did setup the Fluval Q5 to run a single bucket DWC, tonight - filled the bucket to about an inch above the bottom of the suspended net pot, net pot filled with clayballs, with the struggling cutting inside a large rockwool cube. I'm using the aquarium water, as is, at its 5.9 pH. I can hear the Q5 but it doesn't annoy me, and I also hear some bubbling from the air-stone but that's soothing.

Not sure if this DWC setup will help my cutting which is yet to root after about 2 weeks, but I just wanted to see my crude DWC setup run. Not sure how this DWC works, again it's time just to get going, start learning practical lessons. I have yet to research about nutrients and feeding in a DWC system - as I haven't got there yet.

would this DWC help the cutting take root? or am I hopelessly out-of-whack, thinking it might?

I'm expanding my second grow area - presently, its only a 2 x 55W T5 flourescent light fixture with four 3-gallon pots and this DWC pot squeezed (they don't fit in the area) around this light fixture. So, this temporary setup is to be expanded with another temporary measure to house a second T5 flourescent light fixture in the next week - then I can maybe house 6 plants.

There's further plans on top of these temporary measures. Kinda getting cluttered more in terms of ideas/thoughts/plans than in terms of equipment/stuff, so trying to focus on matter more at hand, but still getting distracted with such plans for expansion.

The main purpose is still focused upon getting a harvest completed in my grow tent, to clear the batches of plants. Swapping the sick first batch out of the grow tent under the LEDs, under the T5 fluorescents - and swapping the smaller second batch from under these T5, into the tent under the LED - was a good idea, i feel.

okay, this latest setback has delayed further any harvest. its a matter to stop the damage, re-settle and move forward again - the whole story of this grow. the first batch seems to be on their road to recovery (again), while I figure out what their issue/matter is. swapping the 2nd batch into the tent under the LED, allows 'em to grow bigger. then re-assess later, as to what exactly to do with both batches. also, while my plans has changed radically, this latest setback has brought foward some plans - focus first on recovery...

fark, it's been a lot of trials & errors. still hanging in there.

Last edited:
Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

Let's talk about the first batch going terribly wrong, later. As I don't want to talk about the first batch, not today. Leave this black dog alone, for a while.

20200514 200508

Let's, instead, talk about my second batch.

20200514 200514

So glad I had 2 batches of plants in different developmental growth phases. The first batch went so wrong, that the second batch is going to be harvested (hopefully) before the first batch. I'm glad that i could swap the sick plants out of the grow tent (under the LED), with this second batch. While the first batch is a disaster, it didn't set me back as far as starting over again popping more valuable seeds.

20200514 200518

The second batch is made up of 4 plants at all different stages of growth development. BBK8D is most deformed, after its early struggles, now turning out shorty and bushy. I had accidentally topped the G1 plant, where I started to 'manifold', but then just reverted to topping - and this G1 has accidentally turned into a nice shape (thus far). G2 is one step behind G1, while G3 is another step behind G2 plant. By coincidence, rather than by design, these 4 plants in the second batch are all of the same genetic stock.

So, while disasterous with the first batch, the second batch has responded well to being placed under the LED for the last fortnight by growing strongly. I'm waiting for the smallest plant G3 to fill out, when all others in the first batch should be larger - before flipping them to flowering phase. I estimate at least 4 more weeks of vegetative phase, before considering flipping the LED to 12/12 on/off cycle.

20200514 200542

I said I didn't want to talk much today about the first batch - what I say now is that I haven't given up on 'em, I'm nursing them again hopefully back to better health. This disaster forced me to setup a better (temporary measure, still) second vegetative grow area, housing T5 fluorescents to first nurse the sick first batch.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Let's talk about the first batch going terribly wrong, later. As I don't want to talk about the first batch, not today. Leave this black dog alone, for a while.

View attachment 972748

Let's, instead, talk about my second batch.

View attachment 972749

So glad I had 2 batches of plants in different developmental growth phases. The first batch went so wrong, that the second batch is going to be harvested (hopefully) before the first batch. I'm glad that i could swap the sick plants out of the grow tent (under the LED), with this second batch. While the first batch is a disaster, it didn't set me back as far as starting over again popping more valuable seeds.

View attachment 972750

The second batch is made up of 4 plants at all different stages of growth development. BBK8D is most deformed, after its early struggles, now turning out shorty and bushy. I had accidentally topped the G1 plant, where I started to 'manifold', but then just reverted to topping - and this G1 has accidentally turned into a nice shape (thus far). G2 is one step behind G1, while G3 is another step behind G2 plant. By coincidence, rather than by design, these 4 plants in the second batch are all of the same genetic stock.

So, while disasterous with the first batch, the second batch has responded well to being placed under the LED for the last fortnight by growing strongly. I'm waiting for the smallest plant G3 to fill out, when all others in the first batch should be larger - before flipping them to flowering phase. I estimate at least 4 more weeks of vegetative phase, before considering flipping the LED to 12/12 on/off cycle.

View attachment 972751

I said I didn't want to talk much today about the first batch - what I say now is that I haven't given up on 'em, I'm nursing them again hopefully back to better health. This disaster forced me to setup a better (temporary measure, still) second vegetative grow area, housing T5 fluorescents to first nurse the sick first batch.
There very saveable I did it with my current grow the little crop that almost couldn’t . Good luck keep at it , regards OD .

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

okay, HELP!

20200514 200542

they're actually stabilising, in that they're not getting worse, but just in this shit state.

20200520 201807

now, these plants are sitting under the T5 flourescents - hoping i can pull off another rescue mission with these plants, and this first grow. i have 4 other plants which were the 2nd batch, under the LED in the grow tent - but that's another story, for another day.

one of these plants was fed some weak nutrient solution, months ago - where she reacted showing signs of over-nuted. so, these plants have not been fed at all, only adjusted water (with some Cannazym and pH adjusted to around 6.3).

20200520 201807

i repotted these about 2 weeks ago, from its 3-gallon to 5-gallon fabric pots - hoping that this repot would stabilise their conditions, so that they are not worsening anymore.

20200520 201812

it is what it is - i'm not too desperate with these sick patients, as I have that 2nd batch in the tent. while its a setback, it's not a total disaster/loss (well, not yet).

20200520 201756

should I feed them with weak nutrients?

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

hey, my pathetic attempt at cloning, kinda worked, there is a thin thread of white roots poking out of the large rockwool cube, which has been stuck into a large net pot, filled with clayballs, with simply water in a 20L (5 gal) bucket with air-pump running 24/7.

20200526 195634

the clone doesn't look too healthy, but it has rooted - so keen to keep it going, another rescue attempt. i've reseated the large rock wool back into the large net pot, so there is maybe an inch of clayballs underneath, and the water level is about at the bottom of the net pt.

20200526 201031

I am totally lost as to what to do now? i have Canna Aqua nutrient solution, TDS meter, pH pen, etc. is there a guide here somewhere for DWC?

20200526 203202

my HM TDS-4 meter states the water is at 185 ppm. i don't really understand my TDS meter, what's its conversion rate, reading the manual, Murphy's Law....

i've got Canna Aqua Vege solutions, what do i do? totally unprepared.

Gonna add 4 mls of Aqua Vega A, then 4 mls of Aqua Vega B solution, and measure its TDS, then adjust to around 5.8 pH.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

dont go over 250 ppm mate 5.8 is good and allow a little swing
is your meter on the 500 scale? it really simp
Hannah feed schedule 001
le to use

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

pretty sure i have shown this before ,this is the 500 scale ,easy and simple to use,when you get to about 3 sets of leaves then go to the early veg stage

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

okay, i think i need to know the conversion ratio to convert those 'raw' reading PPM into EC?

different TDS meters have different conversion rates, yeah?

okay, a little off, i added 3 mls each of solutions a & b, and its about 270 PPM, into about 15L of water.... check all this on friday or weekend...

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Range: 0 – 9990 ppm (mg/L)
Resolution: 0-999: 1 ppm; 1000-9990 10 ppm (indicated by a ‘x10’ icon)
Accuracy: +/- 2%
EC-to-TDS Conversion Factor: NaCl (avg. 0.5)
ATC: Built-in sensor for Automatic Temperature Compensation of 1 to 50 degrees Celsius (33 to 122 degrees Farenheit)
Power source: 2 x 1.5V button cell batteries (included) (LR44 or equivalent)
Battery life: 1000 hours of usage
Dimensions: 14 x 2.3 x 1.5 cm (5.5 x .9 x .55 inches)
Weight: 34g (1.2 oz)
UPC: 891144000182

so, i can use your chart, oldskol4evr!

sambapati

sambapati

oh, let me describe my grow setup.

it's mid-summer, here in Sydney, Australia.

the grow 'sites' currently are our apartment balconies, and several sunny spots within our apartment.

when at home, i shift the pots, to follow the sun - but otherwise, during the workweek's days, the plants are left in one of these sunny spots. overnight, these plants are placed under T5 fluorescent in a grow tent, to supplement the natural sunlight during daytime.

if its rough weather (windy, rain, cloudy, cold) then the plants are placed under the fluorescent - otherwise, the plants are left in their sunny spots in the apartment to take advantage of the natural sunlight.

fluorescent are to supplement the natural sunlight, to essentially give it 24/7, to keep the plants in their vegetative state.

presently, these patients are been nursed back to their full health, in 3-gallon fabric pot with soil mix. the 'before' and 'after' photos in post above are 12 days apart.

the plan is to leave these plants in the natural sunlight, letting mother nature do her job, when i decide to flip 'em. this timetable is kinda set by the seasons, as I want to take advantage of the warmer and brighter outdoor weather conditions.

first thing first, tend to the immediate tasks....walk, before running, get these 'twins' stronger & bigger.

how's that sound as a general plan?
I like your plan. Have you fed them with Club Soda? I had some sad seedlings in hot soil and after replanting them into very neutral soil I watered with club soda. I think it really helps flush out the crap and the stuff has magnesium. You can also try adding magnets. https://www.ysjournal.com/wp-conten...agnetic-fields-on-plant-growth-and-health.pdf

sambapati

sambapati

progress report on BBK10. she's about to get a watering tomorrow morning, before i go to work.

View attachment 928170

promising growth, including strong lower offshoots. this is where my thoughts are floating towards FIM and LST.
Almost everything I have read says plants should be watered before going to sleep. My wife agrees with this so it must be true because everything she says is true.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

okay, will try to water towards their evenings....now i'm home working remotely, i'm in the the same room as the grow tent. the sweet smell of Mary Jane...

hey, do I need to pay attention to the reservior/bucket water's temps? its approaching winter here....get a small aquarium heater to keep its temp at around 20c?

sambapati

sambapati

I did not read the entire thread, just wanted to encourage you a bit.

I have been growing indoors for 22 years and I still sometimes fuck up, my last 2 grows have been hit hard by spidermites because I didnt take the necessary precautions resulting in less than perfect looking plants and below normal yield (the harvested bud is still miles better than anything available commercialy here).
It sucks to put in a lot of effort and not have everything go as planned, but it happens, the best thing to do is learn as much from it as possible so you know how to avoid the problem in the future or atleast mitigate the negative effects as much as possible.
Yu mean semi retarded from the internet don't you?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
Range: 0 – 9990 ppm (mg/L)
Resolution: 0-999: 1 ppm; 1000-9990 10 ppm (indicated by a ‘x10’ icon)
Accuracy: +/- 2%
EC-to-TDS Conversion Factor: NaCl (avg. 0.5)
ATC: Built-in sensor for Automatic Temperature Compensation of 1 to 50 degrees Celsius (33 to 122 degrees Farenheit)
Power source: 2 x 1.5V button cell batteries (included) (LR44 or equivalent)
Battery life: 1000 hours of usage
Dimensions: 14 x 2.3 x 1.5 cm (5.5 x .9 x .55 inches)
Weight: 34g (1.2 oz)
UPC: 891144000182

so, i can use your chart, oldskol4evr!
might help,ec is same on any chart as you see ppm difer

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

i think its been 4 weeks since i switched the second batch into the grow tent, under the LEDs.

20200529 213255

And two plants are doing particularly well, while the 3rd plant is starting to take off. The 4th plant is still underdeveloped, needing more time.

One plant I have stopped training it, she can just fill out and grow taller. The second plant is starting to fill out as well after bending some of her offshoots, where she is also now allowed to grow taller & fuller. The third plant I have also just trained 2 offshoots to cover more of the canopy.

20200529 213258

I'm waiting for the last, 4th plant to fill out, then I am flipping to 12/12 on/off light cycle. At least 4 weeks more of vegetative phase.

Don't know what I am doing differently to the first failed batch - same soil mix, same feeding/watering schedule/routines, yet I seem to be getting different/better results...

20200529 213315

i am still nursing the first batch - ride with the punches, hey. got some plans, including nursing them to be my next outdoor season (3 months away from spring!) or motherplants to take cuttings, etc - see how they develop, all is not lost. Setbacks, but still in the game, heading towards the end-game.

and the story continues...

Top Bottom