My Disappointing, even PATHETIC Grow!

• Thread starter Kampbe1l
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sambapati

sambapati

i think its been 4 weeks since i switched the second batch into the grow tent, under the LEDs.

View attachment 979113

And two plants are doing particularly well, while the 3rd plant is starting to take off. The 4th plant is still underdeveloped, needing more time.

One plant I have stopped training it, she can just fill out and grow taller. The second plant is starting to fill out as well after bending some of her offshoots, where she is also now allowed to grow taller & fuller. The third plant I have also just trained 2 offshoots to cover more of the canopy.

View attachment 979114

I'm waiting for the last, 4th plant to fill out, then I am flipping to 12/12 on/off light cycle. At least 4 weeks more of vegetative phase.

Don't know what I am doing differently to the first failed batch - same soil mix, same feeding/watering schedule/routines, yet I seem to be getting different/better results...

View attachment 979115

i am still nursing the first batch - ride with the punches, hey. got some plans, including nursing them to be my next outdoor season (3 months away from spring!) or motherplants to take cuttings, etc - see how they develop, all is not lost. Setbacks, but still in the game, heading towards the end-game.

and the story continues...
You might also consider experimenting with lollypopping some of these plants and when they hit 7" tall top 'em, right? Make one or two and try LP...Good recovery and keep on the lookout for buggies.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

You might also consider experimenting with lollypopping some of these plants and when they hit 7" tall top 'em, right? Make one or two and try LP...Good recovery and keep on the lookout for buggies.

sure will - i can see the benefits of lollypopping. also, want to lollypop to take clones. and that single DWC bucket is another experiment, with cloning in mind. not yet there for lollypopping - first trying to fill the tent's canopy, then let it grow taller & fuller, at that stage lollypop.

shit, mentioning the war, but i haven't had any bug issues since very early days with gnats.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

fingers x'd, travelling okay with the batch in the grow tent.

20200612 213654

I have mostly stopped training these plants.

20200610 083014

it's been now been 6 weeks since the dramatic switch of plants. I am still waiting for the 4th plant to grow taller/bigger, before flipping to 12/12 on/off light cycle.

20200610 083018

not sure, another at least 2 weeks, maybe 4 weeks more in this vegetative growth phase - i no longer make a schedule/timetable, the plants dictates actions.

a little more patience, huh.

i see how plants of different growth developmental stage, makes things a little awekward to manage. the timetable to flip is determined by the growth of this 4th plant....while the other 3 plants are now starting to fill their parts of the tent.

sambapati

sambapati

fingers x'd, travelling okay with the batch in the grow tent.

View attachment 985805

I have mostly stopped training these plants.

View attachment 985803

it's been now been 6 weeks since the dramatic switch of plants. I am still waiting for the 4th plant to grow taller/bigger, before flipping to 12/12 on/off light cycle.

View attachment 985804

not sure, another at least 2 weeks, maybe 4 weeks more in this vegetative growth phase - i no longer make a schedule/timetable, the plants dictates actions.

a little more patience, huh.

i see how plants of different growth developmental stage, makes things a little awekward to manage. the timetable to flip is determined by the growth of this 4th plant....while the other 3 plants are now starting to fill their parts of the tent.
How tall is the tallest plant?

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

The largest plant is about a foot and half tall.

The tent's height is 8 foot. I figure I got about 2 feet headroom left for growth. I'm waiting for it to grow maybe another foot taller, before flipping.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

my ongoing experiment, crude DIY single-bucket DWC.

20200623 182002

i have been pouring a jug of its nutrients, out of the bucket, then pour the jug over the clayballs at least twice a day.

haven't changed its nutrient solution for 2 weeks - now thinking of doing a nutrient change this weekend.

20200623 182005

it is what it is, actually happy with this result, more tinkering and attention/care needed -but the basics are there.

20200623 182013

got a few things on my plate, 2 grow areas, other cuttings and things overflowing (well, not reserviors, knock on wood).

for what it is, i now know that i can take cuttings this way and i can get started doing DWC.

sambapati

sambapati

my ongoing experiment, crude DIY single-bucket DWC.

View attachment 990356

i have been pouring a jug of its nutrients, out of the bucket, then pour the jug over the clayballs at least twice a day.

haven't changed its nutrient solution for 2 weeks - now thinking of doing a nutrient change this weekend.

View attachment 990357

it is what it is, actually happy with this result, more tinkering and attention/care needed -but the basics are there.

View attachment 990358

got a few things on my plate, 2 grow areas, other cuttings and things overflowing (well, not reserviors, knock on wood).

for what it is, i now know that i can take cuttings this way and i can get started doing DWC.
Ask a busy person to get something done first...Sounds like it is all coming up well for you. Keep it keeping on

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

a little concerned with the biggest plant (codename BBK8D), she's always been a little droopy. i'll post some pickies next watering, when I have natural light. yes, some its leaves have purple hue and this colour is getting stronger.

and a little concerned just generally, as it was about this time last batch when my crops failed dramatically - i mentioned the war, didn't I?

20200628 111623

BBK8D and G1 totally filled their portion of the tent's canopy. G2 is a step behind, while G3 is the baby of this batch - and I am waiting for G3 to fill out more and grow taller, maybe another 2 weeks of vegetative phase, before flipping into flowering phase.

20200628 111542

i think its been about 8 weeks since the dramatic switch to this current batch in the tent, and glad that I took such drastic measure then.

i haven't feed these plants at all. just a little bit of Cannazym in its watering, where its adjusted to pH between 6.3 to 6.5 levels.

20200628 111635

Would Canna Bloom be any benefit? I don't think they need to get fed (yet), so holding off buying any nutrients until they are required.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

my DWC experiment is still ongoing, promising at least.

I changed the reservior today, added 1.5 mls of Canna Aqua A + B, 20 mls Cannazym, adjusted to 5.8 pH to 15 litre of water. 140 PPM TDS.

20200628 164201

While not close to spectacular results, the fact that its up and running is a small win.

Running out of space, no room for this DWC within either my vegetative grow area and the tent - so this single DWC bucket is not in its ideal or even suitable conditions. Plans to expand my DWC system is on hold, until I clear a few things off my plate. Or get another grow tent.

20200628 164206

My main focus is upon steering the batch in the tent towards flowering phase, while the remaining focus is preparing the next batch to be grown in the tent and another separate batch to be grown over next outdoor season.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

Should I be concerned, one of the plant G1, has shed a few lower leaves, yellowing? i suspect its because the top canopy of the plant is filtering lower light strength, not nutrient-deficiency.

This is the time when my first batch fell over, just when I was going to pull the trigger, so to speak - flip the LEDs from 18/6 to 12/12 on/off light cycle. I'm planning to flip this weekend. Haven't yet figured out the hours yet.

I haven't fed any of these plants, as I didn't think they required it. Question is, when its so close to this flip, should I just flip it as planned, and see how they develop?

Bit anxious.

hey, should i get Canna Boost for my Canna Terra Professional based soil mix, to apply during this flowering stage? and do i need anything else, or do I sit and let the plants develop as they are?

post pickies next post, after next watering.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

i lost 3 cuttings - but the remaining 7 cuttings are still green, hopefully taking root. I had these cuttings in plastic DIY humidity chambers, made out of plastic drink bottles - and small rockwool cubes soaked in 5.8 pH Canna Aqua solution used for the DWC, some cloning gel on the end, and that was it. sprayed these babies the first couple of days, and haven't sprayed them over a week now.

it's been over a fortnight since taking these cuttings - so if they haven't swivelled up like the dead 3, i figure that it must be taking root. i couldn't leave them just whacked into their rockwool cubes - so i whacked the rockwool into soil, into small pots.

being in the southern hemisphere, its 2 months to start of our spring - and that's what these babies are being prepared for, another apartment balcony & outdoor grow.

i also wanted to test my own conditions to see how well i can strike cuttings - and despite my bare-minimum effort, it seems i can get an acceptable strike rate from cutting to clones.

besides the apartment balcony grow, also thinking of preserving some of these cuttings - ensuring i have these 2 genetic stock which are photoperiod varieties. i probably will kill the original 'motherplants' when i harvest - but perhaps I should consider rejuvenating the strongest?

with all these experimentation, I am expanding to the point where i need to rationalise, but that's for another day. it's better to have too much on your plate, than hardly anything.

sambapati

sambapati

Should I be concerned, one of the plant G1, has shed a few lower leaves, yellowing? i suspect its because the top canopy of the plant is filtering lower light strength, not nutrient-deficiency.

This is the time when my first batch fell over, just when I was going to pull the trigger, so to speak - flip the LEDs from 18/6 to 12/12 on/off light cycle. I'm planning to flip this weekend. Haven't yet figured out the hours yet.

I haven't fed any of these plants, as I didn't think they required it. Question is, when its so close to this flip, should I just flip it as planned, and see how they develop?

Bit anxious.

hey, should i get Canna Boost for my Canna Terra Professional based soil mix, to apply during this flowering stage? and do i need anything else, or do I sit and let the plants develop as they are?

post pickies next post, after next watering.
"Less is More" would be what some would say. I don't have access to Canna Boost -- but why not. Go ahead and flip the switch because your stems are stronger and won't bend this thyme. I'm also in the southern hemisphere 6:15 am first light 6:45 dark time....Looking good and remember it is Last Chance Marianne to trim and defoliate.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

"Less is More" would be what some would say. I don't have access to Canna Boost -- but why not. Go ahead and flip the switch because your stems are stronger and won't bend this thyme. I'm also in the southern hemisphere 6:15 am first light 6:45 dark time....Looking good and remember it is Last Chance Marianne to trim and defoliate.

agh, it's amazing, we speak the same lingo, but meaning gets lost in translation of our English. and also, my bad choice of words 'falling over'.

i meant by 'falling over' not literally - i meant that it failed.

now, about this stage, the first batch, the 'girls went bad' - not sure if it was a nutrient-toxicity, or lack of nutrients or quality of water.... i changed the soil mix from the first to the second batch, so I am hoping for a better result this time around, let's see.

I have been constantly trimming and defoliating - but will give it a real clean job next watering.

20200706 225016

i haven't fed these plants at all - only watering with some Cannazym, adjusted its pH from 6.1 to 6.3 range. the plants don't seem hungry, so I haven't fed them at all - which nags at me, wondering if these plants ever want any feed. so, i don't take the risk of feeding 'em (yet).

20200706 225029

yeah, it might be everything else on our plates with the flu disruptions, but my anxiety has heightened this week, and i think it's coz of my plan to flip this weekend, thinking 'fuck, what could go wrong, this time?' or is it excitement bundled up in the wrapping of anxiety?

only TIME will cure me.

Last edited:
Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

Don't get too hard for yourself. We all started everything the hard way. Gain more knowledge by reading some helpful threads. Keep planting. Keep growing. I'd like to share that I read a blog at local online store in our area where the writer would always remind new ones to keep going no matter how disappointing will be the outcome. I learned.

try not to be frustrated. frustration does get bottled up, need to be released occasionally to lower its pressure, let the whistle blow!

I am not the type to simply give up, and i think even this thread shows some of that personality.

in the end, i'm doing this because I love it. and i want grow me own good shit, and i might even share some with you!

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

i got my grow tent with its 4 plants under LED, which i'm about to flip to 12/12 on/off cycle. I got 4 sick plants under T5 flourescent light fixture, which i'm nursing back to better health. I got my single DWC bucket, which is an ongoing experiment.

and i got these babies.

20200709 204914

today, I took 3 cuttings off one of the plants in the tent. partly to clean up the plant herself, cutting off her small lower offshoots. and partly, to take cuttings, to hopefully established clones for the next grow in the tent or coming outdoor season (mid-winter for me, here).

7 previous cuttings in small pots of soil. i gather these cuttings are now established clones, as they're 3+ weeks old.

20200709 204928

i used this system for those 7 cuttings, which I think i can call now clones with establishing root systems.

i soak the small rockwool cubes in the Canna Aqua solution in the DWC bucket, dip the end of the cuttings into cloning gel solution,
then stick the cutting into the soaked rockwool cube.
then the cubed cuttings into a plastic tray, filled with clayballs on the bottom,
then plastic top placed on top of the plastic tray,
the occasional spray for a couple of days, before removing the plastic top/cover after a couple of days. it seemed to have worked, last time.

one lesson i learned is that you can never have enough genetic stock. having said that, at it is, i've run out of space under any artificial lighting, so the 'excess' plants are on the fringe of these area, getting deliberate leakage from LED and T5.

20200709 204946

make it up as i go along.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

pulling the trigger today, flipping to 12/12 on/off light cycle from today.

20200711 080825

preparing for this flip, i pulled out these 4 plants from the tent, removed some lower leaves, clipped off some small lower growth, took some more cuttings. didnt i just say before, i'm running out of space.

20200711 080829

cleaned the tent. dropped a fan onto a plant, shit!

20200711 080834

gonna run 12/12 from 7 am to 7 pm, so i can tend to the plants early in the morning before i go to work, and to tend the plants straight after work, when required. 7 am to 7 pm works better for the fans to run, rather than during the night.

20200711 092326

been concerned about this purple tinged plant (pictured below), droopy, though she is about to get her watering. she has been difficult grow (for me), she is what she is - see how she goes into her flowering phase. she has the strongest body odour!

20200711 095319

the tent is air- and light-tight, no external/internal light leakages, zipped up. when it turns off at the regular 2 pm this afternoon, the LED is to be changed to its full flowering settings and the timer. the lights are to turn on 7 am tomorrow morning, so this initial 17 hours dark period, before its regular 12/12 on/off cycle.

i need results, i need to turnover the batch in the g-tent, its time to move forward towards harvest. to clear the tent of this current batch, so I can go onto the next grow. also, I want some buds in my bowl.

sambapati

sambapati

pulling the trigger today, flipping to 12/12 on/off light cycle from today.

View attachment 998220

preparing for this flip, i pulled out these 4 plants from the tent, removed some lower leaves, clipped off some small lower growth, took some more cuttings. didnt i just say before, i'm running out of space.

View attachment 998221

cleaned the tent. dropped a fan onto a plant, shit!

View attachment 998222

gonna run 12/12 from 7 am to 7 pm, so i can tend to the plants early in the morning before i go to work, and to tend the plants straight after work, when required. 7 am to 7 pm works better for the fans to run, rather than during the night.

View attachment 998223

been concerned about this purple tinged plant (pictured below), droopy, though she is about to get her watering. she has been difficult grow (for me), she is what she is - see how she goes into her flowering phase. she has the strongest body odour!

View attachment 998224

the tent is air- and light-tight, no external/internal light leakages, zipped up. when it turns off at the regular 2 pm this afternoon, the LED is to be changed to its full flowering settings and the timer. the lights are to turn on 7 am tomorrow morning, so this initial 17 hours dark period, before its regular 12/12 on/off cycle.

i need results, i need to turnover the batch in the g-tent, its time to move forward towards harvest. to clear the tent of this current batch, so I can go onto the next grow. also, I want some buds in my bowl.
Going bowling sounds like a good recreational plan...clearly working too hard on your hobby, but good results. Take a measurement of your tallest and smallest plants and see what % growth you get in flower...33% is my guess.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

yup, it's been a long & winding road, to get here where i am. the tent's canopy is pretty much filled up, rather than growth in height achieved.

the lights just switched off, Day Zero where its flipped from its 18/6 to 12/12 on/off cycle! now, waiting for the stretch of more growth in height and early flower formation, the first stage of the flowering phase.

sourcing a 1L bottle of Canna Boost additive - i figured that i would use a 250 mls bottle over these 4 plants in this single grow. still, not sure about the flowering nutrients in this soil mix, holding off buying any such nutrients.

Going bowling sounds like a good recreational plan...clearly working too hard on your hobby, but good results. Take a measurement of your tallest and smallest plants and see what % growth you get in flower...33% is my guess.

will do.

here i keep a photo diary, whereas i got my little book recording events - it's for my benefit mainly, but sharing my experience. also, these measurements and records means more, as its 'databank' grows.

HEY, despite the tribulations, IT'S FUN, this thing of ours!!!

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

i haven't yet figure this out, and i haven't been following it, at all.

how does this grow guide work?

i'm growing in 3 or 5 gallon pots with Canna Terra Professional mixed with more perlite. and i haven't used any of their nutrients, only Cannazym to the watering.

looking at these chart and Canna website, as I'm getting that Canna Boost - and was checking its details.

sambapati

sambapati

i haven't yet figure this out, and i haven't been following it, at all.

how does this grow guide work?

i'm growing in 3 or 5 gallon pots with Canna Terra Professional mixed with more perlite. and i haven't used any of their nutrients, only Cannazym to the watering.

looking at these chart and Canna website, as I'm getting that Canna Boost - and was checking its details.
I can't read Australian, sorry. I think they want you to buy more and more and more of their products. Recording everything is a good idea.

Top Bottom