My DIY hash press just for fun - for small amounts

• Thread starter Heywood
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Heywood

Heywood

As the title states, this was just fun to figure out a creative DIY way to press some hash in smaller quantities.
I'm sure there are better/easier ways... but again... this was just for fun.
For me this works great for doing 1 or 2 gram pucks.

I think this all started because back on my first grow way back when, I found that a nickel fits perfectly inside a ½" PVC coupler.
There is a ridge half way down inside that coupler that the nickel is sitting on.
This is where that loose nickel will need to be for this to work.

Pvc ridge nickel

Pvc ridge

So this is everything that was needed, plus another nickel and also either Gorilla super glue or JB weld. I like JB Weld better.
The size of the bolt doesn't matter. The head just can't be a bigger diameter than the nickel, but you want a beefy bolt.

Needed items

Then you either super glue or JB weld the head of the bolt to the nickel and let it dry/cure overnight.
This is one with JB Weld and one with super glue. You don't need to make 2 of them, but I did just in case one came loose.

Stampers

So then of course you need to gather up your kief. I use a 220 micron bag and dry ice to extract the kief from my trim and popcorn/smaller buds.

Hash plate

Then I measure out (scale) whatever weight I want the pucks to be. I usually do 2-gram pucks. Put the kief onto a piece of paper and funnel it into the PVC coupler, which has the loose nickel already in place resting on the ridge, of course . I put a very light coating of olive oil on the face of the plunger nickel, then wipe it off so the kief doesn't stick.Then use one of the plungers that was made and put it on top of the kief and compress it however you feel like. I've done it both simply by hammering it down and also by placing this unit in a vice and cranking it down. Keeping in mind that the coupler is plastic and that ridge isn't huge. But I've had no issue. After it is compressed, I pull out the plunger and flip it around and push out the nickel and hash puck from the other end.

Stamper done

This is the finished product, which stores perfectly inside these plastic nickel-sized containers that my local hydroponic shop sells.

Nickel hash flat

Nickel hash side

steamroller

steamroller

Hell yea !
I have a pre made little press about your size. I hand screw and dream of a simpler life but have too much to do anything. 🤔
No one, no one has hash anymore.😎
I use screens to dry sift and move remains to ISO.
Enjoy !

For those not mechanically inclined you get more pressure with smaller sizes. My press is less than a dime size. 🤔

Heywood

Heywood

Hell yea !
I have a pre made little press about your size. I hand screw and dream of a simpler life but have too much to do anything. 🤔
Enjoy !

For those not mechanically inclined you get more pressure with smaller sizes. My press is less than a dime size. 🤔

Definitely. Half the fun is being creative and coming up with something that doesn't exist elsewhere.

On my first grow when I used this method, the impression of Jefferson was really pretty good on the hash puck.
You knew it got pressed with a nickel.

This time not so much. I don't like the new coin offset impressions and it is hard to find older nickles that still have sharp images.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

WOW! That’s almost the exact way I make hash pucks. I use dry ice in 220 micron bag to make kief, then use the 3/4” pvc coupling with a nickel on collar then 2 grams kief, then a nickel for compressing kief. My only 2 differences from your method are: I use a 2 in long x 1/2 in diameter wooden dowel that fits inside coupling to squeeze the nickels and hash in a vice instead gluing the nickel to the bolt, and I put the nickels in the freezer to get them frosty prior to squeezing. It’s easy to peel the nickels off the hash. My pucks look just like yours. However I’ll definitely want to try the olive oil method this year. Thanks for the tips. Here’s a pic of my kief before pressing.

DB7E25B1 0D88 47FC 9EB2 4B0FFD322CE3
93E257A2 9340 487A 95C7 84E1F8EF424C
Heywood

Heywood

WOW! That’s almost the exact way I make hash pucks. I use dry ice in 220 micron bag to make kief, then use the 3/4” pvc coupling with a nickel on collar then 2 grams kief, then a nickel for compressing kief. My only 2 differences from your method are: I use a 2 in long x 1/2 in diameter wooden dowel that fits inside coupling to squeeze the nickels and hash in a vice instead gluing the nickel to the bolt, and I put the nickels in the freezer to get them frosty prior to squeezing. It’s easy to peel the nickels off the hash. My pucks look just like yours. However I’ll definitely want to try the olive oil method this year. Thanks for the tips. Here’s a pic of my kief before pressing.
That's awesome that they are so similar. Good stuff!

Yeah for the olive oil, just pour a bit out onto a folded paper towel, then dab your nickels in it and swipe them across a dry part of the paper towel to wipe off excess. They really don't need much on them at all.

Observationist

Observationist

Hell yea !
Enjoy !

i am going to dabble in this next

it just seemed expensive to get into extraction.

i got some mids that could be decent for it

Top Bottom