My First Grow

• Thread starter Broken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Broken

Broken

Hello everyone, I have been reading a lot of the forum and got some help as well setting up my room and am thankful for this forum.

I am new to growing but bought someone Else's supplies. I then built an 8'x7' room insulated and wired it right and even brought in water. Walls are painted gloss white. I have 3-600watt Yield Lab HID with cool tubes and digital ballast. (I will never use the 3rd I'm sure). I have 2 Hydrofarm 4' 54watt T5 6500k bulbs. I have separate vent system for room and lights. My room vents thru 6" solid ducting into my chimney. My lights vent through the roof using the old furnace ducting. I have taken the 3 or the four 8" inline 400cfm fans and used reducers to go to 6". One will push thru my lights. One brings fresh air in to the room.I have the third pulling through a new carbon filter. These are inline duct fans. I looked the fans up and read they do not work with fan controllers so I hope to make them work without it. The room is in the basement with 2 walls being exterior.

I was given some beans the guy had left over 1 of this 1 of that. I know what all are but one of those that came up.

Right now I have three 2 1/2" - 3" seedlings, one 2", 1 that was tall and then that I tried bending some to strengthen but went to far and the stem looked as though it was starting to wither so I went for broke and pretended I was cloning. I cut it off above the damage and put clonex on it and put it back in some soil. I have one about an inch & a quarter that has a stout indica stem. and I have one runt I found with no roots when I gave up on 1 pot it now has 4 leafs and is 1/2" tall clonex and put back in dirt and it hasn't died but hasn't grown.

My growth is no where near it should be by watching @rmoltis first grow. I have an assortment or FoxFarms Fertilizers and such. I have not used them and was going to ask the community for help first.

Here is their feed schedule
I have everything in that list except the "Wholly Mackerel" & "Kelp me Kelp you"

I have read Ph 6.4-6.8. My water is more like 7.0ph but it only has 100ppm. They show ppm much higher on their schedule.

I had not thought to give nutes this early until read rmoltis thread.

Watching others pictures I would have expected to have more leaf by the time my seedlings got to 3" ? Is it the sativa dominant strains or unwanted stretching ?

They are under the 2 T5 grow bulbs now with about a 2" gap and have a fan blowing over them and temp is 72-76 degrees. Humidity from 40-70.
My first grow
My first grow 2
My first grow 4

My first grow 3
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Hello everyone, I have been reading a lot of the forum and got some help as well setting up my room and am thankful for this forum.

I am new to growing but bought someone Else's supplies. I then built an 8'x7' room insulated and wired it right and even brought in water. Walls are painted gloss white. I have 3-600watt Yield Lab HID with cool tubes and digital ballast. (I will never use the 3rd I'm sure). I have 2 Hydrofarm 4' 54watt T5 6500k bulbs. I have separate vent system for room and lights. My room vents thru 6" solid ducting into my chimney. My lights vent through the roof using the old furnace ducting. I have taken the 3 or the four 8" inline 400cfm fans and used reducers to go to 6". One will push thru my lights. One brings fresh air in to the room.I have the third pulling through a new carbon filter. These are inline duct fans. I looked the fans up and read they do not work with fan controllers so I hope to make them work without it. The room is in the basement with 2 walls being exterior.

I was given some beans the guy had left over 1 of this 1 of that. I know what all are but one of those that came up.

Right now I have three 2 1/2" - 3" seedlings, one 2", 1 that was tall and then that I tried bending some to strengthen but went to far and the stem looked as though it was starting to wither so I went for broke and pretended I was cloning. I cut it off above the damage and put clonex on it and put it back in some soil. I have one about an inch & a quarter that has a stout indica stem. and I have one runt I found with no roots when I gave up on 1 pot it now has 4 leafs and is 1/2" tall clonex and put back in dirt and it hasn't died but hasn't grown.

My growth is no where near it should be by watching @rmoltis first grow. I have an assortment or FoxFarms Fertilizers and such. I have not used them and was going to ask the community for help first.

Here is their feed schedule
I have everything in that list except the "Wholly Mackerel" & "Kelp me Kelp you"

I have read Ph 6.4-6.8. My water is more like 7.0ph but it only has 100ppm. They show ppm much higher on their schedule.

I had not thought to give nutes this early until read rmoltis thread.

Watching others pictures I would have expected to have more leaf by the time my seedlings got to 3" ? Is it the sativa dominant strains or unwanted stretching ?

They are under the 2 T5 grow bulbs now with about a 2" gap and have a fan blowing over them and temp is 72-76 degrees. Humidity from 40-70.
View attachment 680936 View attachment 680937 View attachment 680939

Now that I see pictures you are looking on track. Some strains just develop faster or slower than others.

The seedling stage is a very slow one.
But once your ladies hit node 5 or 7 their speed should increase.

Most people don't feed their seedlings nutes for 30 days.

But if you do, make sure it's around 100-150ppm. Your tap water is 100 so that can be considered a light feed.

I personally water my gals with unadjusted tap water around ph7.

Since it is close to neutral they will do good on it. Just make sure to ph your nutrient feeds once you start them later.

BarnaGoat

BarnaGoat

Looks like you did do a lot of research.

Two things that I use that upped my game was RO water to my grow with a res (a new, cheap, plastic trash can works) and a climate switch you can pickup for $35 on amazon to control the intake fan and small heater (if needed, but my light do just fine for the heat. :)) here's a link --> Inkbird Itc-308 Digital Temperature Controller Outlet Thermostat, 2-stage, 1100w, w/ Sensor
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011296704/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_acJZybE5TV3CT

Broken

Broken

@rmoltis Will do and thank you

@BarnaGoat I do have a heater as well as a Humidifier. My water is from a spring here on the property. I looked at the link I may have to get one. When I mentioned fan controller I was thinking of the type that slow the fan down. Thank you for the input

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter

@BarnaGoat I do have a heater as well as a Humidifier. My water is from a spring here on the property. I looked at the link I may have to get one. When I mentioned fan controller I was thinking of the type that slow the fan down. Thank you for the input

Hey boss if you have a spring I wouldn't filter it personally.

I would think the plant would love mineral rich water. Just account for the ppms as food.

That is cool I wish I had a spring to feed my gals with!

BarnaGoat

BarnaGoat

This is a good alternative when your fans do not have speed control :)

BarnaGoat

BarnaGoat

All my water is spring water. But I can't make grass grow in the front lawn lol

Test the water with a ppm meter and pH before adding. Also if it tests ok I would only try it on one plant and if she takes it we'll give the water to the rest. Better safe than sorry.

Broken

Broken

I was given 14 beans stuck 12 of them in separate cups of water for 24 hours and put them in the soil. I now have 1 Cinderella 99, 1 Blue Dream, 1 Delicious Cotton Candy, 1 EWE2 that may never grow I was rough with it. 1 that I lost track of. 1 Critical Kush, 1 Blackberry OG all are feminized . None of the rest sprouted. So I lost out on a chance to grow Blue Cheese, G13 x Blueberry Headband, White widow, Amherst Sour Diesel, Girl Scout Cookies. But the one unidentified is one of them. I have a Auto seeds Ultra Lemon Haze and 1 Afgan Kush Ryder (by World of Seeds Bank) that I did not germinate.

My goal is to grow more Sativa dominant strains because I need the get up and Go. I have been weening off 4 meds for pain, anxiety, Bipolar and sleep. I'm close to being done with all 4 and going much more natural :)

Broken

Broken

I have a meter in one that you can change settings to show moisture/ph/light. Well when I watered yesterday the one pot kept showing dry while the other two 6" pots showed moist (in the green) so I added more water and finally stopped knowing it had to be enough. Meter still showed dry . I was a bit confused but wondered if that was why it was a little smaller than the other 2 in the 6".

@rmoltis
Today I went down and checked on the girls. soil felt moist but that pot still showed dry. Then :opps: I had the meter on the light setting not moisture. I flipped the switch to moisture and guess what? Yep you guessed it all plants show too moist. I turned the humidifier off and have two little 6 inch fans running.

Should I turn the vent fans on? turn up the heat? Turn on dehumidifier ?

iKharon

iKharon

I have a meter in one that you can change settings to show moisture/ph/light. Well when I watered yesterday the one pot kept showing dry while the other two 6" pots showed moist (in the green) so I added more water and finally stopped knowing it had to be enough. Meter still showed dry . I was a bit confused but wondered if that was why it was a little smaller than the other 2 in the 6".

@rmoltis
Today I went down and checked on the girls. soil felt moist but that pot still showed dry. Then :opps: I had the meter on the light setting not moisture. I flipped the switch to moisture and guess what? Yep you guessed it all plants show too moist. I turned the humidifier off and have two little 6 inch fans running.

Should I turn the vent fans on? turn up the heat? Turn on dehumidifier ?
Turn the fans off and RH will drop some.. does your dehumidifier have a hygrostat or hygrometer that you can set the RH? Always leave the dehumidifier on and just set it to 55% then you're golden.

Broken

Broken

@iKharon Thank you for the input. The dehumidifier is left out of the room because so far I have had to run a humidifier to get above 35 - 40% RH. My thinking on the fans and dehumidifier was to get moisture in the room down and get the soil to dry out some.

iKharon

iKharon

@iKharon Thank you for the input. The dehumidifier is left out of the room because so far I have had to run a humidifier to get above 35 - 40% RH. My thinking on the fans and dehumidifier was to get moisture in the room down and get the soil to dry out some.
What's your current temp and RH ?

BarnaGoat

BarnaGoat

I wouldn't use a meter for watering. There are two tell tell signs for watering i use and they are very accurate. First look at the plants leafs, when they sag it's time to water , then pick up the pot. Water is heavy so if the pot is light it's time to water.

iKharon

iKharon

I wouldn't use a meter for watering. There are two tell tell signs for watering i use and they are very accurate. First look at the plants leafs, when they sag it's time to water , then pick up the pot. Water is heavy so if the pot is light it's time to water.
To add to this... what some of us do is pick up the pots when bone dry, then water until pot weighs .5 times more. Like if it's 5lbs, water until it feels like 7-8 lbs.. to check if water is needed, top will look dry, stick you're finger in to your first knuckle.. if you feel dampness, you're fine, if not, water. I never let mine get to the point of dropping.. always reaching straight up and perky :)

IMG 0985
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Low humidity isn't a bad thing.
I don't worry about trying to add humidity anymore. Mine sits at %1 usually
20170321 031040

Sounds like your rh and temps are good.

Just make sure to let dry almost all the way. Then when they feel light enough give them a full drench. Wait a few days until they feel light again repeat.

This allows for a wet cycle and a dry cycle.

to steal a phrase here is part of "Seedling Street"

I like it ;)

Top Bottom