My first run in ucdb32xl

• Thread starter GRAPEGODaero
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ugh. Hope im not completely fucked. I noticed different water levels in buckets then noticed why. Mad roots in the 2in pipe. Slowing the flo more than i like. Had to end up cutting a bunch of runner roots. Hardly 2-5% of the root ball but enough to make me worry about it. Next run will be just 2 week veg.. Such a pain in the ass digging roots out of each bucket. Praying that i didnt kill them girls by cutting a bit away.
Nah you'll be fine I had to do that a time or 2. Last time my timer fucked me and by a week and a half by the time I noticed. Even after a trim I had roots in the lines all the way to the next bucket at harvest lol.

GRAPEGODaero

GRAPEGODaero

Nah you'll be fine I had to do that a time or 2. Last time my timer fucked me and by a week and a half by the time I noticed. Even after a trim I had roots in the lines all the way to the next bucket at harvest lol.
Yea thats about how it was. It was tough gerting them back thru the pipe into the bucket. They were super long. I think ill try 2 week veg next run. Didnt think 3 week would be to long but it was.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yea thats about how it was. It was tough gerting them back thru the pipe into the bucket. They were super long. I think ill try 2 week veg next run. Didnt think 3 week would be to long but it was.
Can try moving the airstone closer to the outlet side found that to help a bit. Last grow ended up being almost a solid 5 pail of roots. It vegged 4.5 weeks and I ended up with a lot of grey hair lol.

Indiva710

Indiva710

Cutting just the long roots off wouldn't be a concern if anything they will help as ppl actually do it if they aren't having clogging issues with root pruning...
You could always get the cc bulkhead filters too the 2 & 3 are the same btw..Just need one per bucket that's on the rear of the bucket that goes to the pump and problem solved...I use them on veg and bloom and wouldn't run it w/o even tho bloom is 3in but can still get clogged...
Also if your afraid of trimming the roots you could always just put the ends at the top of the root ball and do it that way...
I pry wouldn't rely totally on the airstone in front of the bulkhead but it does help but def not a fix well from my experience anyways..
And you wouldn't need to do less time in veg which would also lower your yield ...As for more root more fruit ....So less root will be less fruit...Since you would need 64 bulkhead filters I would contact cc direct and see what kind of deal they can do for you if not try one of their distributors I know of one here that would do a great deal on them if your interested in that route..It would give you the most peace of mind anyways and wouldn't have to worry about a bad clog or several and could kill the plants and water would be everywhere too granite that Pry wouldn't be a issue for you but would be a hassle and a total waste of money down the drain...
Glad you got the issue figured out though I imagine you checked all of the buckets to afterwards right on if there was any other clogs or real close to being ...b.h filters are def thee way to grow that's for sure

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Cutting just the long roots off wouldn't be a concern if anything they will help as ppl actually do it if they aren't having clogging issues with root pruning...
You could always get the cc bulkhead filters too the 2 & 3 are the same btw..Just need one per bucket that's on the rear of the bucket that goes to the pump and problem solved...I use them on veg and bloom and wouldn't run it w/o even tho bloom is 3in but can still get clogged...
Also if your afraid of trimming the roots you could always just put the ends at the top of the root ball and do it that way...
I pry wouldn't rely totally on the airstone in front of the bulkhead but it does help but def not a fix well from my experience anyways..
And you wouldn't need to do less time in veg which would also lower your yield ...As for more root more fruit ....So less root will be less fruit...Since you would need 64 bulkhead filters I would contact cc direct and see what kind of deal they can do for you if not try one of their distributors I know of one here that would do a great deal on them if your interested in that route..It would give you the most peace of mind anyways and wouldn't have to worry about a bad clog or several and could kill the plants and water would be everywhere too granite that Pry wouldn't be a issue for you but would be a hassle and a total waste of money down the drain...
Glad you got the issue figured out though I imagine you checked all of the buckets to afterwards right on if there was any other clogs or real close to being ...b.h filters are def thee way to grow that's for sure
I thought about getting those also. But kinda thought they would plug up faster than the pipe. How well do you find they work? I mean I always keep an eye on my roots anyhow.

Indiva710

Indiva710

Absolutely not as in plugging well i haven't had a issue get 1 or 2 stragglers but that's it and don't make it very far anyways...I wouldn't recommend if they clogged as ur not gaining anything then...
As like I said personally I won't run a system w/o... With those new grow mods tho I would be concerned about the drain wells plugging up too as I believe they don't have a mesh cover like they should...If one has a 3d printer u could make a cover and screw a screen to it but for 64 sites that would be a lot of time on a printer lol it would pry break the printer and take a month straight to do them all lol....
Like my drain kit I made for my systems I used a bulkhead with a slip on the inside and got a street fitting PVC elbow and use it and works wonders and no worries about clogging either..Since the elbow will fit flush with the bucket I will cut a few small notches in the rim of the elbow it also helps with having more suction to pump more out of the system before the pump going dry for that last lil bit. As I end up with less than 500ml total for veg and even less in bloom at 200ml only that's in piping and everything total.....

Also since you trimmed your plants keep a eye on your pump if you do not have a spin filter to catch the escapees from u...If u don't have a spin filter keep a eye on the pump on if it's slowing output down from the waterfall inyour epicenter ...Having union ball valves before and after your pump does wonders with being able to service and clean it as needed...Can always of course get unions and ball valves and put them together separate if the union valves are too much as the bigger ones is highway robbery..
But for us personal home growers b.h filters even at 3 or $4 each is well worth the peace of mind it gives you for having a system that can always run and never have a clogging problem is well worth it that's for sure

GRAPEGODaero

GRAPEGODaero

I know one of the cone shaped things in one return manifold grew straight thru it and had to be cut out. The roots are probably all the way into one of the return lines. At least the fitting on the return manifold. I did hit every bucket and the only ones werent starting to clog were the slh buckets. Their roots just couldnt handle nutrient like this. Ill be checking the return manifold and doing a quick switch out of pumps. Going to be the first thing i do.

GRAPEGODaero

GRAPEGODaero

Opened up the pvc lines and everything balanced out. Ppm slowed way down and ph locked on. Was really starting to wonder what the hell was going on with the numbers bouncing around so much.

rosco23

rosco23

@GRAPEGOD- do you have a topoff rez system attached? Best thing we ever did for the CCUC systems. Ultra stable inputs with low chance of plant shock. Keeps fluctuations to a min....
do you like to run your top off with just ro water and then add back nutrients or do you run your top off at the same strength as the current feed? im torn between doing it one way or the other

GRAPEGODaero

GRAPEGODaero

do you like to run your top off with just ro water and then add back nutrients or do you run your top off at the same strength as the current feed? im torn between doing it one way or the other
I go a little stronger. About 25% seems ppm moved slower.

Indiva710

Indiva710

I run mine a week ahead of my system so as the plants drink the res lowers and plants get the nutes slowly throughout the week and works great for me...And in veg I will set it by what they are drinking sometimes just like 25-50ppm more or the same and will run. My pH at about 5.2-5.4 in the top off as it slowly goes into the system and helps keeps it all stable too

GRAPEGODaero

GRAPEGODaero

I run mine a week ahead of my system so as the plants drink the res lowers and plants get the nutes slowly throughout the week and works great for me...And in veg I will set it by what they are drinking sometimes just like 25-50ppm more or the same and will run. My pH at about 5.2-5.4 in the top off as it slowly goes into the system and helps keeps it all stable too
I have a ph controller and was wondering if it would be best to leave it alone between 5.5-6.5 or keep it set at a spacific ph.

rosco23

rosco23

I have a ph controller and was wondering if it would be best to leave it alone between 5.5-6.5 or keep it set at a spacific ph.
i dont like the idea of a ph controller because it can mask ph issues. id rather see what the ph is doing and adjust manually. ill run a whole cycle at 5.8 and not notice any difference if i were to micro manage ph between 6-6.3 for veg and 5.5-5.9 for flower. just my opinion and set up tho not claiming this as gospel or anything lol

Indiva710

Indiva710

I agree I don't like a pH doser personally never used one but they have a lot of draw backs like he mentioned plus if a problem happens with it good bye crop...And pH rising is natural and something you should see slightly as the plant drinks and eats it rises the pH just part of life ....I run mine at 5.6-6.3 sometimes I'll go a lil lower depends on how it raises too ..Its also a indication on if ur having problems too a doser can't know that and neither would you until it was too late....Now my top off res I will even run at like 5.2 at times just depends on what the main system is doing and if I'll be around to check it..
As I spent over 5mo in the hospital this year so when I get sick I will run the top off lower so as the plants drink the pH will stay more stable without me being there....
If u run hydro and in a tent or area without a drain like most a app controlled water sensor is a huge plus having the app controlled are best as if your not home the alarm won't do much ....But a phone alert you would be aware that there is a leak somewhere and they are cheap and well worth the peace of mind it gives....

GRAPEGODaero

GRAPEGODaero

i dont like the idea of a ph controller because it can mask ph issues. id rather see what the ph is doing and adjust manually. ill run a whole cycle at 5.8 and not notice any difference if i were to micro manage ph between 6-6.3 for veg and 5.5-5.9 for flower. just my opinion and set up tho not claiming this as gospel or anything lol
[/
My grow is at a different place than i live so hard to dose if needed. Im going to set monitor to 5.6 and put in up or 6.4 and put down. That way it will only dose if its getting out of hand.

GRAPEGODaero

GRAPEGODaero

Stunted the hell out of whole crop final 2 weeks. Had an overnight major ph drop. They never really did much after besides get more ripe. I know what happened and will avoid it this time. Pay more attn to the roots.

IMG 20191230 172944 01
20200105 005028
IMG 20200102 151209 01
IMG 20200102 153459 01
20200101 185420
IMG 20200102 153459 02
20200105 005136
GRAPEGODaero

GRAPEGODaero

Any familiar with the strain lost cause? Its damm nice!

Sonnyhad

Sonnyhad

Here is something i need opinions on. The super lemon haze is the only strain doing this. It first happened when my nutrient ppm got high in 2nd week veg because my ppm probe wasnt fully submerged. It got up to 450ish. Someone said to watch for rust looking spots meaning thats to much. I left for couple hrs and noticed some rust on leaves when i returned that wasnt there when i left. I grabbed hand held meter and found the high ppm. Like it cant be a deficiency because i know what im giving them. Ph is spot on so is this burn? I loweredppm and it stopped but as i have raised ppm thru weeks slh still showin signs of it. First pic is lower oldest leaves and other is upper newer leaves
The ph changes as the plants age. I have the same thing going on. I was thinking that might be it..

Top Bottom