• Tagged users None
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
All of a sudden he wants to spew :eek:
My male is spewing

What do I do?? :eek:

I shook a branch over a peace of paper right after I took the pics...
the a breeze came up..:confused: Lost it all...felt some on my hands though :(

I broght him in the house now. ;)
think he still has some pollen?

The females aren't ready yet..few more week though.

What is the most fool proof way for me to collect some?

Bgmalesacks

Bgmalesacks2

Im thinking of cutting a couple branches and hang them in a bag and see what happens...I dunno...

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
I do not have experience in the matter but have read about these methods:

get one of the paper envelope style cd covers. the type with a clear window on it.
place that over the branch. the branch will still get light and then the pollen will be collected in the cd envelope.

Some people also cut off the branch stick in glass of water and put glass, mirror, wax paper underneath to collect the pollen. black poster board is reported to work well, and the pollen stands out against the black.

p.s. What male is that and how long did he take of 12/12 to start spewing?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
here is what Ive come up with so far.
I put him in my bathroom for now. o_O
trimmed most of the lower leaves out of the way

Pollencollector

MaleinBathroom

Its that Parchment paper with foil backing (used for cooking)
I also put construction paper on the counter to try to catch any pollen that falls on it.

Aforce

Aforce

I have had success placing a piece of rockwool in a small cup, taking a few branches off of the male and poking them in the rw.. Then placing the cup in a humidity dome (with the vents at the top open) and keeping it on the outskirts of my flower area to still get a 12 hour dark period.. I lay newsprint on the bottom of the dome to catch the pollen and when it's done I sift it with silk screen to remove and sacs that have fallen with the pollen.. As long as the dome doesn't get too humid the pollen should be fine and if u are careful not to open the dome near ur flower pad then accidential pollination shouldn't occur.. Hopefully ;)

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
That sounds good Aforce. Thanks..I may try that. Hey Welcome to the Farm!

JAWS

JAWS

hey KEN:)
how much pollen to you need/want?...
that male as is could make 1000's of seeds, myself i collect what i need then get his ass gone ASAP.....

take that dude CAREFULY and place him over some wax papper or may be a hard SMOOTH surfuse like a coffee table or a kitchen table and thump his stock to release the GOODS...after youve done this if you have enough pollen get rid of him if not then take this time to remove ALL the bigger fan leaves so next time it coes to HARVESTING him you wont have to fight all those huge fan leaves....leave your cone deal attatched if you like...

that male is clustering very nice so you should have no problem getting plenty of POLLEN from ONE maybe TWO shakes....if you keeping him outside then ya you will lose a lot od pollen for clear reasons...

if you dont like that method you can always just wait untill you see a branch with say 80% of the pods open and just very carefuly CUT that branch off place it into a FOLDED PIECE of WAX papper and as before give his stalk a thump to fource him to release his GOODS....

that plant is about ten time the size of male plants i use, that plant would give me enough pollen for 100 plants..
good luck:D

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
how much pollen to you need/want?...
that male as is could make 1000's of seeds, myself i collect what i need then get his ass gone ASAP.....

that plant is about ten time the size of male plants i use, that plant would give me enough pollen for 100 plants..
good luck:D

I probably dont need much... couple thousand seeds will be fine...lol
I just want to have enough to see in the baggie
Gonna try lots of methods. yours sounds easy.
I will try to shake a branch tomorrow when more have opened.

But, He aint comming back outa My bathroon alive...:cool:

Thanks Jaws

JAWS

JAWS

that sounds like a solid path and it should not take you long to be able to see some in the baggie, he looks like hes got loads for days....just get what you thing you need and get him gone, there useless after youve gottan the goods you need so dont play around with him bro....
most excellent;)

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I think I see some pollen at the bottom of the bag ;)

Pollencatchbag

Thanks Again Jaws

JAWS

JAWS

make sure your not TOTALY zipping that baggie up it will cause MOISTURE/CONDENSATION in there and you dont want that unless your looking for some off yellow paste, also never ever store your collected POLLEN with any of those used pods because they are still living and there full on water.....you roll the baggie up and smash those you will have what yup yellow paste...
peace:)

that first pic you showed was a perfect time to cut his branchs or do a whole plant thump, you can clealy see a ton of mature pods open and ready to drop pollen at the slightest movement..

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Obviously, I have collected pollen before. ( I made the cross that made this male)
I just wanted to try harder to do things right this 2nd time.

The 1st time I had a big Him. Gold Male and I just cut and hung the branches in Brown Paper grocery Bags.
Pollen Sacks and all...The sacks dryed pretty quick and the pollen made tons of seeds (i hit about six strains).

Might try one branch that way, But pick out all the sacks this time.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
make sure your not TOTALY zipping that baggie up it will cause MOISTURE/CONDENSATION in there and you dont want that unless your looking for some off yellow paste, also never ever store your collected POLLEN with any of those used pods because they are still living and there full on water.....you roll the baggie up and smash those you will have what yup yellow paste...
peace:)

that first pic you showed was a perfect time to cut his branchs or do a whole plant thump, you can clealy see a ton of mature pods open and ready to drop pollen at the slightest movement..

Awesome...Great tips..I really do appreciate the Help Jaws :)

I think He already lost the pollen that was ready today.:(
.....So I will do a whole plant thump for sure...in what? a day or two? In the morning maybe?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Im sitting here thinking...That pollen is probably all over me and my clothes :confused:

I better shower and change before I go back to the garden..;)

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
once he starts he dont stop so ya man check him in the moring he will most likely be ready to rool again..
peace;)

Very cool to know Jaws..I'll thump him in the morning,,,:)

I went ahead and cut a couple branches off. Put one in a cup of water surrounded by a baggie

Pollenbaggie

And

I Trimed up a branch and hung it in a paper bag that has wax paper on the bottom
Pollenbag1

Pollenbag

Then I closed up the bag..put it in warm dry spot (closet)

Imma Gonna Get me some pollen, (for my Bubba gold F2) :D

JAWS

JAWS

hello KEN;)
HAHAHAH ya now your getting the right kinda ideas my friend, that papper bag will work just fine just remember before you open IF YOU CAN thump the close pin to get those overnight pods to drop the goods...
peace:D

^^^^ thats enough pollen to do 1 full plant or two halves of many single branch breeds, once you get use to working your pollen you will know how far any given amount with take..

Latest posts

Top Bottom