My Observation from a far

• Thread starter Dye
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dye

Dye

I spent a lot of time in the IO. You probably fueled my ship. I was on the white plains at the time. It was also an unrep ship. Fueling along side and cargo transfers while underway is some neat shit. Dangerous fucking job though.
Wow small world USS Red China sea sealift I flew to Greece to get on it.
They were finding mines in the IO back then, we had navy jets follow us sometimes, we would zigzag and shit.
Ha ha ha memory’s. Something like that, the officers never told the crew anything. But weird shit was going on.

Dye

Dye

Wow small world USS Red China sea sealift I flew to Greece to get on it.
They were finding mines in the IO back then, we had navy jets follow us sometimes, we would zigzag and shit.
Ha ha ha memory’s. Something like that, the officers never told the crew anything. But weird shit was going on.

How calm is that water holy cow, Indian Ocean was like a lake compared to the North Atlantic in the winter.

freezeland2

freezeland2

How calm is that water holy cow, Indian Ocean was like a lake compared to the North Atlantic in the winter.
It was a sheet of glass most times. Ever been in the Bering Sea? Fuck me, lost ladders, whale boat on a 600 foot ship. Saw green water hit the bridge that came over the bow. Pretty rough shit out there.

Dye

Dye

It was a sheet of glass most times. Ever been in the Bering Sea? Fuck me, lost ladders, whale boat on a 600 foot ship. Saw green water hit the bridge that came over the bow. Pretty rough shit out there.

No had this South American run after that sealift stuff. East coast to Rio de Janeiro ,then down the coast to Argentina and Uruguay or up north Argentina is cold, hitting all small ports on the way. Was book material stuff those runs. Had water start filling up my room a few times.
But no bearing sea craziness.

freezeland2

freezeland2

No had this South American run after that sealift stuff. East coast to Rio de Janeiro ,then down the coast to Argentina and Uruguay or up north Argentina is cold, hitting all small ports on the way. Was book material stuff those runs. Had water start filling up my room a few times.
But no bearing sea craziness.
I miss the sea at times. I almost went merchant when I retired. Ended up instead transferring decommissioned Navy ships to foreign Navy’s instead. Lived out of a suitcase for 7 years in the job. Got old. Traveled a hell of a lot. More than in the Navy and I did 15 out of 20 years of my Navy time at sea. Anyway, I’m way to old to live that kinda life now.

Dye

Dye

I miss the sea at times. I almost went merchant when I retired. Ended up instead transferring decommissioned Navy ships to foreign Navy’s instead. Lived out of a suitcase for 7 years in the job. Got old. Traveled a hell of a lot. More than in the Navy and I did 15 out of 20 years of my Navy time at sea. Anyway, I’m way to old to live that kinda life now.

A lot of the captains in the merchant marines were retired navy officers most of the them.
The lower ranks were from the merchant marine academy.
Some navy retires would be 2nd engineers. Who knew there shit one officers I actually partied with said I do not want to be in charge.
2nd engineered is fine with me, I would go drink a few bears in his room and talk, he had hash,he was from Arizona.
Great life in a certain way!

He would say engine breaks captain calls chief engineer who calls the first enginer.
I just go do the work.

Last edited:
freezeland2

freezeland2

A lot of the captains in the merchant marines were retired navy officers most of the them.
The lower ranks were from the merchant marine academy.
Some navy retires would be 2nd engineers. Who knew there shit one officers I actually partied with said I do not want to be in charge.
2nd engineered is fine with me, I would go drink a few bears in his room and talk, he had hash,he was from Arizona.
Great life in a certain way!

He would say engine breaks captain calls chief engineer who calls the first enginer.
I just go do the work.
Short true sea story. I was on a Guided Missle Cruiser. We deployed for the gulf war. The night we left Pear Harbor we wiped a port line shaft bearing. I was a Master Chief Machinist Mate and the senior enlisted in the engineering depart. We locked the shaft and I lived in the bilge of the port shaft alley for a week. It was twin screw so we limped behind the battle group in route to Subic Bay Philippines. I needed bearing scrapers and we didn’t have any onboard. The Chief Engineer of the USNS Oiler in the battle group highlined over with some. Our captain wanted his opinion that we knew what we doing. Pissed me off. The Cheng gave us the scrapers and told the Captain he was leaving because we knew what we doing. We got it done. Changing a line shaft bearing on a underway ship is a heavy lift. It’s one reason I decided against going merchant. That cheng tried to recruit me for when I retired. Enough sea stories from me. Happy growing.

Reactions: Dye
Dye

Dye

Short true sea story. I was on a Guided Missle Cruiser. We deployed for the gulf war. The night we left Pear Harbor we wiped a port line shaft bearing. I was a Master Chief Machinist Mate and the senior enlisted in the engineering depart. We locked the shaft and I lived in the bilge of the port shaft alley for a week. It was twin screw so we limped behind the battle group in route to Subic Bay Philippines. I needed bearing scrapers and we didn’t have any onboard. The Chief Engineer of the USNS Oiler in the battle group highlined over with some. Our captain wanted his opinion that we knew what we doing. Pissed me off. The Cheng gave us the scrapers and told the Captain he was leaving because we knew what we doing. We got it done. Changing a line shaft bearing on a underway ship is a heavy lift. It’s one reason I decided against going merchant. That cheng tried to recruit me for when I retired. Enough sea stories from me. Happy growing.
Thats cool bro, I miss the sea and the crew too, I will always listen and throw a view stories out there.
I liked the engine room nobody really wanted to go down there. Because of the noise and heat pretty peaceful at times.

Dye

Dye

Thats cool bro, I miss the sea and the crew too, I will always listen and throw a view stories out there.
I liked the engine room nobody really wanted to go down there. Because of the noise and heat pretty peaceful at times.

I built scaffolds in NYC for awhile and hate heights I really missed the sea then.

Dye

Dye

Truth is was the best time of my life by far! The sea
We crossed the international date line horns started going off.
You have to understand I am not the order taker type.
Merchant marines was a good fit for me, I got it trouble and sailed off like a movie.
Shit like that is real. I was sleeping on the coach of a retired merchant marine captains couch ha ha ha
Got the call, off I want with a old fashion duffle bag
Here you got me digging out pictures motel room Rio 1979 look at my hand cig in one hand joint in the other.
I was with this other seamen another Irish lad from Boston and two women. Memories of a
corrupt youth. Girls put coke in there weed down there then away. Just sprinkle it like sugar.
No running water, but coke to sprinkle on everything. Crazy place South America even worse now rich poor dead
1979 Santos Brazil

6C44E65E 3D68 49A8 9EB5 7513C3681EBB
Last edited:
freezeland2

freezeland2

We crossed the international date line horns started going off.
You have to understand I am not the order taker type.
Merchant marines was a good fit for me, I got it trouble and sailed off like a movie.
Shit like that is real. I was sleeping on the coach of a retired merchant marine captains couch ha ha ha
Got the call, off I want with a old fashion duffle bag
Here you got me digging out pictures motel room Rio 1979 look at my hand cig in one hand joint in the other.
I was with this other seamen another Irish lad from Boston and two women. Memories of a corrupt youth.
1979 Santos Brazil
Been to Rio myself. I transferred an old tank landing ship to the Brazilian navy.

Reactions: Dye
Dye

Dye

Up on the hill coming in the channel I guess,
Everybody told me come on let’s see it coming.
They knew when to look.
To this day I think I should have joined the navy it is my only regret.
I was thinking lifer at the time.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Up on the hill coming in the channel I guess,
Everybody told me come on let’s see it coming.
They knew when to look.
I’d say 99% of the time entering or leaving port I was stuck in a engine room, lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom