My personal opinion on UC8XL so far

• Thread starter QuarterbackMo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

So far it's treating me good my bubba really seems to like it. There are a few things I didn't like though... Number one is how the diffuser sits in the control bucket. I had to prop a piece of 2x4 and 1/4" plywood stacked under the t for the diffuser to hold it down so the float valve would work how it is suppose to. I like to keep my water levels 2" below the netpot in dwc the furthest your gonna be able to get them in the uc if you want to use your float valve is like 1" tops and thats cutting it close. The next thing is I feel the flow should be faster and the air pump could be bigger but I could be wrong on that after all they did engineer the system with engineers obviously so I'm sure it's right it just doesn't seem like it's moving that fast at all when the air pump is off and it's just the water pump vs the water. Next thing is that the thing was a bitch to put together and I had to flush my system 10 times to get all the soap out of it from lubing up the uniseals... You should tell people to use water soluble sex lubricant instead it works a lot better either that or just have everything so it screws together or is glued because trying to push that PVC through those uniseals was some bullshit... Next thing this system needs is water level indicators they make life easier rather you feel they do or not they really do especially if your a perfectionist it drives you crazy having to play guessing games. My next dislike is the drainage you guys need to figure something out to where you can get like 90% of the water out fast. Other then those things this thing is bad ass and it works good it's way better then rdwc buckets and it's way way better then sdwc buckets. It's like a big jacuzzi for your plants and they really like it. Another thing I would like to suggest is 2 holes with removable plugs in the control bucket lid that will fit 3/4" lines for the chiller so you don't have to drill your own. That's my thoughts so far on uc8xl coming from a major diy type of guy I would never suggest you buy anything pre made except for the uc it is worth the money for sure it really makes your life easy too which is what counts. I like it a lot and I'm anxious to see the end result. I suggest you get one if you haven't already.

U

UCtestn

:-) I agree... minus a couple of points. Good stuff can always be improved and I really like your ideas. Not sure faster moving water would be better.

As for quick empty, we have a second pump hooked up just for draining, and we can be 100% empty in under 5 minutes. We then use the same pump to speed fill from the res, so drain and fill 17 buckets, 13 gallons in under 10 minutes. We just put a T into the plumbing, a valve and a port for the pump.

R

RMCG

:-) I agree... minus a couple of points. Good stuff can always be improved and I really like your ideas. Not sure faster moving water would be better.

As for quick empty, we have a second pump hooked up just for draining, and we can be 100% empty in under 5 minutes. We then use the same pump to speed fill from the res, so drain and fill 17 buckets, 13 gallons in under 10 minutes. We just put a T into the plumbing, a valve and a port for the pump.

You have a pic of that?

RollinEndough

RollinEndough

0186ca90-d931-4c13-bde1-60bd60605fe1.jpg

Bubblehaze

Bubblehaze

I agree ! The uc has its problems and was hard to put together I had bruises for a week but with the results you get out of the box are amazing. It grows 4x faster than my soils. I am an amateur at the Uc systems and with some advice from members here it exploded. I am pleased beyond belief. I only vegged for 7 days ( in the uc) and they have been in the system only 16 days and they are huge already.

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

You have a pic of that?

Yeah I wanna see one too it sounds good I need to see a
Pic though... Also Where are you putting the other pump at to get 100% drainage and what size/type of pump is it?

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Some insight if you'd like

QB "Number one is how the diffuser sits in the control bucket. I had to prop a piece of 2x4 and 1/4" plywood stacked under the t for the diffuser to hold it down so the float valve would work how it is suppose to."

The TEE fitting at the base of the Epi (that connects to the diffuser) is intended to run perpendicular to the ground, not parallel as you likely have it. When in this perpendicular position the tee acts as a counter lever to keep the bouyant diffuser in the position necessary to operate the float valve.

QB "My next dislike is the drainage you guys need to figure something out to where you can get like 90% of the water out fast."

There's a couple of fitting included with the system that slips onto the return stem coming from the return pump. Just pop off the tee fitting you'd previously slipped on and replace with the drain fitting (that adapts to a garden hose) or the chiller adapter (that adapts to a 3/4" ID hose) and let the systems recirc pump do the rest.

More complete drain downs are possible if you hook up to the drain valve on the Epicenter, you can evacuate 95% of the solution from the system. Its not necessary to drain every drop, especially if running bennies as the previous res can inoculate the next with a very small volume.

Daniel (from CC) reassured me that they are working on some new you tube vids showing how to use some of the various features on the UC as they realize the instructions don't convey this well enough. They've also got some cool tips for getting the pvc through the uni's.

R

RMCG

They should partner up with Astroglide and just include a tube.

:)

I used 1:1 dish soap to water, works but got a bubble bath to boot.

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

This just in.....

found out they sourced out some lube used in self serve ice cream machines, supposedly works great? I'll let you know as soon as I try some.

I always end up dry/damp wiping off the soap film before filling with agua, helps a little for sure.

R

RMCG

This just in.....

found out they sourced out some lube used in self serve ice cream machines, supposedly works great? I'll let you know as soon as I try some.

I always end up dry/damp wiping off the soap film before filling with agua, helps a little for sure.
:anim_19:

Hoping its in the 2 that just shipped.

F

f1ydave

QB "Number one is how the diffuser sits in the control bucket. I had to prop a piece of 2x4 and 1/4" plywood stacked under the t for the diffuser to hold it down so the float valve would work how it is suppose to."

The TEE fitting at the base of the Epi (that connects to the diffuser) is intended to run perpendicular to the ground, not parallel as you likely have it. When in this perpendicular position the tee acts as a counter lever to keep the bouyant diffuser in the position necessary to operate the float valve.

I didn't install the diffuser, but the float valve hitting it during flower (to lower the water level) has been driving me crazy. The diffuser is supposed to be able to sit flush on the bottom of the bucket? Mine rests on top of the 2" pvc lines because they stick out to far...are you sure it is capable of sitting flat on the bottom? Or am I misunderstanding you?

G

grow_dat_nasty

you can probably just buy a longer float from home depot(bend it down if cant adjust low enough) for it to get the water levels lower

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I didn't install the diffuser, but the float valve hitting it during flower (to lower the water level) has been driving me crazy. The diffuser is supposed to be able to sit flush on the bottom of the bucket? Mine rests on top of the 2" pvc lines because they stick out to far...are you sure it is capable of sitting flat on the bottom? Or am I misunderstanding you?

what he said! its gonna be hard to se the level for half height at the end

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

QB "My next dislike is the drainage you guys need to figure something out to where you can get like 90% of the water out fast."

There's a couple of fitting included with the system that slips onto the return stem coming from the return pump. Just pop off the tee fitting you'd previously slipped on and replace with the drain fitting (that adapts to a garden hose) or the chiller adapter (that adapts to a 3/4" ID hose) and let the systems recirc pump do the rest.

More complete drain downs are possible if you hook up to the drain valve on the Epicenter, you can evacuate 95% of the solution from the system. Its not necessary to drain every drop, especially if running bennies as the previous res can inoculate the next with a very small volume.

Daniel (from CC) reassured me that they are working on some new you tube vids showing how to use some of the various features on the UC as they realize the instructions don't convey this well enough. They've also got some cool tips for getting the pvc through the uni's.

I understand which way the t is suppose to be but it does not work which is why it is horizontal now I tried both ways and there is nothing I could prop under the t to make the diffuser sit right sitting in the vertical position your suggesting without lifting up the whole epicenter... I'm all reality what needs to be done is you guys need to figure out how to get it under the epi PVC pipes then it will work how it's suppose to... If there was water level indicators on the uc they would have known that they f'd up right there if they were trying to achieve the ideal 1-2" air gap that dwc growers are looking for. They would have known right then and there that this ain't gonna work. Maybe try to drill the float valve hole a little further down or something so it can lay flatter on the water maybe then the float doesn't get caught on the diffuser because if it's caught or even touching the diffuser for that matter it's pointless cuz it's not doing what it's suppose to do. Next thing the drainage you refer to from the return is not good enough and that drain valve on the epi only clears out the epicenter not the other 8 buckets they are still full under the PVC level... You might not care about draining your system to the last drop but I do. Next thing is why not just make everything thread into eachother instead of having to deal with the current assembly method. Honestly it's retarded how it is in the present and could be a lot simpler and way easier all the way around... I could sit here and pick this system apart for the next 3 hours about what could be done to make it perfect but it's all common sense. You should tell cc to give me a call cuz I could draw up the perfect uc in less then 10 minutes based off what you got now and it would work 10000 times better on the maintenance end and ideal growing end. I'm not trying to dog the uc out or talk shit cuz I really like it but it could have used some more thought before you started mass producing it as is right now.

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

what he said! its gonna be hard to se the level for half height at the end

For sure as is it's not possible... I'm gonna just leave the water level where it's at and drop my humidity down really low in the room when the time comes... That top off rez is too crucial to just have to cut it out like that.

Top Bottom