My Purples Went Green During The Drying?

• Thread starter Dazed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dazed

Dazed

Has anyone had this happen, I had a batch of purple Chems (double purple dojo x Chemdog 91) that was 50% purple/reddish and 50% green. The tops were green and the lower buds were a nice violet purple. Well I hung dried them and cut a few buds off to fast dry on a heater just to sample. Those fast dried mugs changed color a little but still stayed a shade of purple.
Well I went back 2 weeks later to start the curing and there were no purple buds. It was all green and the previous purple buds turned a dark green.
I hung dried them in cold temps (40-65 degrees) for 2 weeks with good air flow.

I just started my hand at purples in the last year and haven't seen this happen. Is this normal?

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
"

Anthocyanins are a group of around 400 water-soluble pigment molecules that due to their structure and biosynthesis are classed as flavonoids, and appear red, purple or blue according to their pH (in acidic pH levels they appear more red, in neutral conditions purple, and in alkaline more blue). Flavonoids are generally yellow in appearance, hence their name, which is etymologically derived from the Latin for “yellow”, flavus, and does not indicate any association with flavour. In fact, flavonoids are usually extremely bitter, and are generally associated with pigmentation.

Next time you are smoking a purple strain with a friend, feel free to explain to them why the marijuana is purple. You will look like a marijuana expert! "

Sounds like it was your drying tech that caused the PH flux which caused the flavonoids to change there pigment.

Dazed

Dazed

Thanks for the info, I've dried other purples in the same spot and way, but this was my first run with this strain. Maybe it's more sensitive.
I wonder what part of the drying caused this. I have another crop of it going now, I'll have to see if it happens again.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I would guess whatever part sped up the drying, vs letting them dry naturally?

Dazed

Dazed

Yeah but, see that's the odd part. I speed dried a couple buds wrapped in paper towels one a heater, just a few and they stayed purple. The rest were dried the right way, hung dried in a cool dark space with ventilation. Those went green.

Dazed

Dazed

I've been growing for the last 10yrs, not a newbie doing some off the wall drying lol, although am a newbie to purples.
I'm on a mission to find or create a purple strain with some good flavor and potency.
Most purples I get from dispensaries are weak.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Lol i wasn't implying anything :D

I don't know for sure what step exactly caused it, experiment around next time and test out different drying techs and see what works best for ya :D

Bannacis

Bannacis

The cool temps in your drying could be it. cool temps will slow the drying process, but being too cool might have negative effect. cause it also affects rh. what are your temps and rh in your drying room? and how long drying at those figures?
Try somewhere within the following ranges, temperature should be between 65-75 degrees F, relative humidity should be between 45%-55%. 7-12 days...depending on density of buds
I've used cooling temps in last couple weeks before harvest, but not in drying.
Weird how you lost your purple....that's like Barney just became a lizard...

Top Bottom