SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Here is one for the terps.

B031-72dpi-Terp_Thermometer_New_Colors.png

socks4free

socks4free

Here is one for the terps.

B031-72dpi-Terp_Thermometer_New_Colors.png
Interesting, so based on this chart since I decarb at 235°F I don't have a lot to worry about losing terps? It shows the lowest boiling point for terps is 313°F, this doesnt seem quite right to me after all. The things I read about. Losing terps while decarbing

M

MotaMan4560

The amount of water in recipe , while it does remove some of the water soluble sugars and chlorophyll, I believe that the small amount allows the "dirt" vegetable matter , in the strained oil to settle out of the mixture over time thus rendering a cleaner oil.

For the tinkerers you could wash all of your dry material prior to extraction - just dry it prior. Back in the day some would even "sweat" the wet weed in piles which would turn the leaves and bud blonde prior to drying. . Care had to be taken though.. Using this weed would render a honey oil..

But that's my simple .02 on the purpose of water use in extraction - because I dont see water being added to actual solvents i.e. alcohol , glycerin, ethanol.

I also don't see anyone using a Magic Butter extraction machine here. I use mine all the time with coconut oil , love the results..

Happy growing

MotaMan

TomH

TomH

Interesting, so based on this chart since I decarb at 235°F I don't have a lot to worry about losing terps? It shows the lowest boiling point for terps is 313°F, this doesnt seem quite right to me after all. The things I read about. Losing terps while decarbing
Just because it’s below the boiling temp doesn’t mean it doesn’t evaporate, just more slowly.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

The amount of water in recipe , while it does remove some of the water soluble sugars and chlorophyll, I believe that the small amount allows the "dirt" vegetable matter , in the strained oil to settle out of the mixture over time thus rendering a cleaner oil.

For the tinkerers you could wash all of your dry material prior to extraction - just dry it prior. Back in the day some would even "sweat" the wet weed in piles which would turn the leaves and bud blonde prior to drying. . Care had to be taken though.. Using this weed would render a honey oil..

But that's my simple .02 on the purpose of water use in extraction - because I dont see water being added to actual solvents i.e. alcohol , glycerin, ethanol.

I also don't see anyone using a Magic Butter extraction machine here. I use mine all the time with coconut oil , love the results..

Happy growing

MotaMan

Ah, just because you don't see extraction machines being used doesn't mean we aren't using them, LOL. 😃

This is what I have and I use them fairly often:

and

Coconut oil or butter separates from the water in the refrigerator. I also would agree that using water gives you a cleaner tasting product in the end. All THC ends up in the oil and all water solubles end up in the water. The decarboxylator makes decarbing very simple and seems to produce a more consistent product than the Infuser alone.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Ah, just because you don't see extraction machines being used doesn't mean we aren't using them, LOL. 😃

This is what I have and I use them fairly often:

and

Coconut oil or butter separates from the water in the refrigerator. I also would agree that using water gives you a cleaner tasting product in the end. All THC ends up in the oil and all water solubles end up in the water. The decarboxylator makes decarbing very simple and seems to produce a more consistent product than the Infuser alone.
what do you think about the Levo?

My friend got this one, and while i haven't used his yet, this looks like a solid product. I might get one with next harvest.

Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

So I have been using our kitchen oven to de-carb oil. Well I never used any lid or tin foil. It absolutely does turn into vapor because my wife got stoned on accident(she doesn’t use cannabis) from cooking some French fries after I used the oven for cannabis decarbing.

She was pissed Lol. She was all like “why is my forehead pushing my eye balls closed…..wait a minute, I’M STONED!!!!” It was funny. So yeah use a lid or tim foil.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

what do you think about the Levo?

My friend got this one, and while i haven't used his yet, this looks like a solid product. I might get one with next harvest.

I think it takes a lot of the guess-work out of the decarb process. It makes things fairly simple and with the ability to decarb up to 2 oz, its a pretty good purchase for the home edible maker.

ninjadip

ninjadip

I think it takes a lot of the guess-work out of the decarb process. It makes things fairly simple and with the ability to decarb up to 2 oz, its a pretty good purchase for the home edible maker.
awesome!

i love cooking, so i def want to get into this

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I'm an absolute amateur when it comes to oil and edibles. But I will say that the last time I tried I followed an instruction guide using my instant pot/pressure cooker. The bud decarbed perfectly and was a set-it-forget-it kinda deal. If you got one of these kicking around give it a shot.

Last edited:
K

KenKenaf

Weed terp science is 100% bullshit. Myrcene comes out of turpentine at 400 degrees, according to the factory who makes the world's largest myrcene supply. So every terpene/pinene containing bud at the dispo should at least smell like myrcene. Why does so much smell like nothing at all?

Oh, they say because the chlorophyll masked the terps during a 1 week period after harvest.. Then they all fucking evaporated by week 2.Makes total perfect sense doesn't it. The next lie will be that you can't smell terps until you heat them to 400, so every sommelier Ganjier connoisseur is a liar. We're all just a bunch of liars guys. Terps are there making dispo bud great, we must can't detect them. Noses and taste buds are a myth. We actually need a lab test to tell us what things taste like.

rDWCNoob

rDWCNoob

Weed terp science is 100% bullshit. Myrcene comes out of turpentine at 400 degrees, according to the factory who makes the world's largest myrcene supply. So every terpene/pinene containing bud at the dispo should at least smell like myrcene. Why does so much smell like nothing at all?

Oh, they say because the chlorophyll masked the terps during a 1 week period after harvest.. Then they all fucking evaporated by week 2.Makes total perfect sense doesn't it. The next lie will be that you can't smell terps until you heat them to 400, so every sommelier Ganjier connoisseur is a liar. We're all just a bunch of liars guys. Terps are there making dispo bud great, we must can't detect them. Noses and taste buds are a myth. We actually need a lab test to tell us what things taste like.
thats just the dispo with badly cured weed lying to you. Doesnt make all of terp science bullshit, maybe some of the bro science.

I think the reality is the legal market is full of just bad growers and so dispos get bad weed. Good stuff too, I assume.

My most recent harvest was 20 clones from 5 mums. All were pretty much dried the same, cured the same etc. All 20 plants had the same leaf structure, same bud structure same colors, same smell while growing. However...

After drying and curing, plants from mum 4 and 2 ended up with a very piney smell and flavor was meh. plants from mum 3 had a more lavender smell with some grapey sweetness, but only slightly. Plants from mum 5 smelled like beefaroni and ass with a hint of pine. Some of the most disgusting smelling weed ive ever had. And, it comes out in the bloody taste. Plants from mum 1 on the other hand? They smelled sooo sweet, grapey and really strong. Like open the jar and smell it across the room strong. But it was the lowest yield, smallest plants with the most leaf damage and nutrient burn from a couple underwatering incidents, my bad lol. And it only tested at 23% thc, low for that strain, and was a little harsher on the lungs. But it tastes like grape candy on the aftertaste :D

Those buds likely just have different levels of the same terpenes. Because they interact with each other, enhance or cancel each other out.

Unfortunately, i have a feeling some commercial growers just pop some seeds of strain x, keep the ones with the highest yield/cannabinoid levels, and then try to pass off their bud as being a top cultivar representative of that strain. But its not, its not the strain x that won the emerald or cannabis cup that year. That bud was from a specially selected cultivar that might not be the best yielding, best colors while growing or even the healthiest plant. Those cultivars get culled by commercial growers because lack of yield and midrange cannabinoids and because they might not yield enough to be profitable or might not have the same bag appeal. And so what they do in some cases is infuse badly or no smelling product with synthetic terpenes. Or just try to pass off some bullshit to the dispos, its about the high right? Which is another reason i think they push the extracts so much, because they can cover up their less than stellar cultivars with infused terpenes a lot easier.

Just my opinion, though, its all up for debate.

ninjadip

ninjadip

I'm an absolute amateur when it comes to oil and edibles. But I will say that the last time I tried I followed an instruction guide using my instant pot/pressure cooker. The bud decarbed perfectly and was a set-it-forget-it kinda deal. If you got one of these kicking around give it a shot.

View attachment 1328357
YES!! i forgot!! thank you @Shaded_One

I remember seeing a recipe using the insta pot a while ago, but i didn't have the time it required to do the recipe before this party i was going to. now party's been long over, and i forgot about it!!

I have an insta pot that collects mad dust, i'll def pull it out to try a batch out

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

YES!! i forgot!! thank you @Shaded_One

I remember seeing a recipe using the insta pot a while ago, but i didn't have the time it required to do the recipe before this party i was going to. now party's been long over, and i forgot about it!!

I have an insta pot that collects mad dust, i'll def pull it out to try a batch out

I've never seen a dusty insta-pot, lol ... we have 2. Both get plenty of use.

ninjadip

ninjadip

I've never seen a dusty insta-pot, lol ... we have 2. Both get plenty of use.
i got one for christmas that i had no need for. i usually cook for myself. I don't do soups, roasts, boiled eggs, etc... i should try another recipe, but the few that i tried i wasn't impressed with, and the majority of the recipes don't appeal to me. i just hate having to pull some appliance out of the cupboard to use for cooking when my stove top is already out and taking up space.

The one thing that doesn't get dust in my kitchen is my deep cast iron skillet i've been using for over 20 years.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

We've got 2 insta-pots, a rice cooker, and a fleet of crock pots. My wife has a beautiful oven with all the bells and whistles. Santa got it for her one Christmas season. She even has a polish for it and keeps it in top condition.

Its the crock pots that have the dust on them. lol

steamroller

steamroller

Pretty pleased with my Levo C..
I like you can set exact temp and time beyond the decarb feature which is real nice.
Decarbing in my oven stunk up the house, but not in the levo..

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

We've got 2 insta-pots, a rice cooker, and a fleet of crock pots. My wife has a beautiful oven with all the bells and whistles. Santa got it for her one Christmas season. She even has a polish for it and keeps it in top condition.

Its the crock pots that have the dust on them. lol

Instant pot is on a weekly basis, rice cooker is pretty much used daily. Brb gotta go check on my rice

SweetLeafGrow

SweetLeafGrow

Pretty pleased with my Levo C..
Took a look at that bro, looks awesome, great tip. I couldn't make RSO with it but could certainly use it for all the trim that I have stacking up, I only use the buds themselves for my oil. This would be great to have some edibles around and/or use for my CBD stuff.

Top Bottom