Mycostop Anyone Using It?

• Thread starter slimjimham
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
slimjimham

slimjimham

I called cch2o about my veg issue, every time I res change I get root slime, throw in a bunch of uc roots and it clears it up but I keep getting it.

Anyways they are now pushing a new product called mycostop, looks like the products been around they just started pushing it because it works well with the systems.

They say you can use it with uc roots and it just eats up anything bad in the system, and lasts for a month...

I just ordered someanyways

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
yeah it really isnt new - but it can work well

a homie of mine about 4 years ago swapped his rockwool top feed setup to a flood type system but didnt realize that they wouldnt need to be watered as many times per day

when he called me to come have a look his cubes looked like sod and I could smell the algae and root rot - set him up with the mycostop and they bounced back really quick and he got a decent harvest from plants that

you also need to correct the issue that is causing the slime to begin with though - what is the temp or your water in the system - if it is 72 degrees or higher you will likely have issues no matter what you add to the res - the warmer the water the less dissolved o2 is available to the roots which creates an environment that pythium thrives in

good luck

slimjimham

slimjimham

I'm putting water in at like 65-68*... Fucking kills me, I don't want to do regular res changes like I should in veg because I know after I do one it's problems.

Weird because no issues at all in flower. And the roots are bleach white until I do the res change. Uc roots always clears up the issue after 5/7 days but it's not ideal obv

Fucking haunts me

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What about adding a UV sterilizer somewhere in the line? Would that be helpful in this scenario, @motherlode ?

slimjimham

slimjimham

Yeah I should do the ro thing, I just don't get why it's only in veg it happens. I have a chiller ready to go but haven't needed it so it's in standby

Saguaro

Saguaro

.1 gram per gallon or 1 gram per 10 gallons …every two weeks until harvest.

wouldn't grow without it

slimjimham

slimjimham

Is there a good source to get them cheep? I just picked up a 5g pack to try it, all together my systems have around 200-250gallins, I was thinking I could use it like I used to use greatwhite with soil grows back in the day, just use a scoop and close the jar but reading the mycostop directions it says to use full packet, and after it's open it's use it or lose it....

I also saw another site that says you can freeze remains in air tight container...

Also do you use uc roots out anything else with it?

slimjimham

slimjimham

And to the uv sterilizer, I'd be all about it to assure things are extra clean but I'm pretty sure it makes some nutrients drop out or some shit... I think that's what I heard ha otherwise I feel you'd see everyone running an online uv filter

Saguaro

Saguaro

I'll PM you the source where I get mine from since I usually buy the 25g pouches.

The way I was taught to use it…..and works best in my set up since I have to feed every watering is to mix my nutrients first.

Then, instead of just dumping the Mycostop directly into the rez after the nutes are mixed, I get an empty quart sized bottle (gatorade bottle works well) and fill it up with RO (Not Tap) and then add the Mycostop to the bottle of RO. Close the cap and shake really well until it completely devolves and there is no more powder or clumps left.

Then add that to the rez….then water that into the plants.

slimjimham

slimjimham

Cool but do you find it stays good after opening... It makes it seem like once it's opened it's "activated" and only has a month shelf life...

Saguaro

Saguaro

And No thats Not true…… Once you open it, you can store it and re-use it later.

All you need to do is be sure to store it in the fridge at all times in a sealed container when not in use.

It stays viable for upto a year if stored right….. I spoke to the suppliers themselves abut this as I too was also concerned.

As I mentioned, I buy the 25g pouches and they last for at least 6-8 months for me with my set up but has a shelf life of up to a year after opening.

slimjimham

slimjimham

Sweet, good to know. Not trying to ask to many questions but have you ever had root issues using this stuff?

And I don't think you answered, do you use uc roots out anything else to sterilize in conjunction?

And last question, do you use like a tuperware sealed container, or like a Ziploc inside tuperware? Or the suplied container that it comes in?

Thanks again, I'm not finding much info on this and uc so your insight is huge for me

slimjimham

slimjimham

... And hydrobuilder says 2 grams for 200 gallons, you're saying you use 2 grams on 20 gallons?

DapperDon

DapperDon

And to the uv sterilizer, I'd be all about it to assure things are extra clean but I'm pretty sure it makes some nutrients drop out or some shit... I think that's what I heard ha otherwise I feel you'd see everyone running an online uv filter

UV Sterilization will work only on water that has not been mixed with any form of nutrient solution. Treating your incoming water is the best preventative method I can think of to date. Adding it inline with a nutrient mix will give you a very bad time.

Saguaro

Saguaro

... And hydrobuilder says 2 grams for 200 gallons, you're saying you use 2 grams on 20 gallons?

I love how i still learn something new everyday! :)

I remember EcoGreen Warehouse, where I purchase my Mycostop from, told me a while back to use it at .1gram per gallon ….. so i assumed this was correct.

Well after speaking to Hydrobuilder and their distributor for Mycostop, it looks like that I was OVER feeding my plants this stuff for quite a while now and had NO idea.

So now I'll be purchasing the smaller 2 gram pouches instead of the 25 gram pouches which should still last me just as long since Im using waaaaay less.

I'll still buy my Mycostop from EcoGreen Warehouse since it literally half the price as Hydrobuilder.

Hydrobuilder = 2grams / $35

Eco Green = 2grams / $16 after shipping!!!!

slimjimham

slimjimham

Sweet, I'll buy from then next time, think I paid like 30/35 for 5g online. Shoots be here any day

slimjimham

slimjimham

Gotta say, I just used it again, now the second time. Just put it in my veg tasks but looks like the roots are loving it. Bright white and seems to be good insurance. Gonna see if I can get away without using my chiller this summer with water right around 70-74°

slimjimham

slimjimham

Yeah just harvested some plants I used it on and the roots were bright white when at the end of flower they usually have a light offwhite color.

This stuff deff works. I just wish I could get done sort of discount on what they're charging. Looks like it'll add another expense to the grow

Latest posts

Top Bottom