Mylar Vs White Paint Vs Emergency Blankets

• Thread starter mauiinfinity
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mauiinfinity

mauiinfinity

Just wanted a few peoples opinion on which is best for reflectivity... I have been usi

straincreation

straincreation

Black and white panda imo is the best. Sturdy reusable easy clean and when you tear down its like you were never there.
Happy farmin;)

J

jinxjj

Quite honestly i think the reflectivity difference is so small it really doesn't matter. Paint is better if you are building a permanent spot, black/white poly and mylar are better for temporary or "non destructive" setups which can be taken down.

Since i dont have the luxury of a permanent spot where i can throw up walls and paint, i am using a tent made with panda poly and i have another area just with mylar blankets hanging from the ceiling like a wall so i can remove it later and leave no marks.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Mylar and emergency blakets are one same thing except for the emergency blankets being dirty cheap. It's not all about percentage of reflectivity but reflection pattern. Smooth surfaces reflect light in single direction where orange peel patterned surfaces reflect ligth in multiple directions. If you have single light source there's better to use orca like surfaces but with multiple light sources it doesn't really matter that much (LEDs for example).

Keep it green!

mauiinfinity

mauiinfinity

ok cool thanks for the responses everyone.. I was arguing with a friend about reflectivity and he was saying the emergency blankets were bad because of the creases in it which doesnt reflect the light it eats it up he was saying... I have led in this room though and it was reflecting nicely especially for 10 bucks

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Just wanted a few peoples opinion on which is best for reflectivity... I have been usi
White paint, flat, or white rigid styrofoam is the best in my experience. I've done the emergency blankets and they'll do, in a pinch, but they are definitely *not* the best.

mauiinfinity

mauiinfinity

just ordered some of that black and white panda film... gonna do some light meter tests when i get it..... I will use a flat white wall, a emergency blanket, and the panda film. I will test it with HPS and LED... results coming soon!

J

jinxjj

Only thing that sucks about the mylar/e-blankets is that they are really thin so if you are tacking them up somewhere have to put chunks of tape on it and then secure it thru the tape so it wont tear.

But they seem to hold in heat better than the black/white poly even though they are 10 times thinner, i can feel my body heat reflecting back off it when i stand too close.

Toaster79

Toaster79

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
just ordered some of that black and white panda film... gonna do some light meter tests when i get it..... I will use a flat white wall, a emergency blanket, and the panda film. I will test it with HPS and LED... results coming soon!
Seriously, the rigid Styro is cheap. You might wanna pick up a board of that and try it for another comparison. It also happens to come Mylar-backed (but, I still prefer the white).

Bones69

Bones69

hard for me to tell because I use a combo of mylar but panda does clean up real easy
But I think if mylar is put up correctly with absolutely no wrinkles, is the best reflective material. Panda is real good and very sturdy and the black side is a barrier that keeps light out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom