Mysterious Illness or obvious deficiency?

• Thread starter Trotsky
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Trotsky

Howdy fellow farmers. Long time lurker - second time poster

Attached are a few pics from my Black Domina photoperiod.

20230725 120543

Shes sitting in a 40L container of Biobizz All Mix Soil. I stopped using Biobizz Bio Grow and Biobizz Bio Bloom about two months ago which is when the first leaves started getting speckled. I suspected it was nute burn (was only doing half recommended doses, i.e 1ml/2L water, sometimes even less) and light stress. Therefore, I stopped using ferts all together, reduced the LEDs to 30% (its a 23w LED, I think comparable to a 110w fluorescent) and moved the lights significantly higher. I will say that the speckling seemed to stop and the speckled leaves below are ones that have been there since they first got burned. But the yellowing, mutated, and crunchy looking fellas are an evolving problem.

Despite these measures, she sadly still seems to grow these mutated and discolored leaves. I mean, she is beautiful on the inside, but externally she looks rather frightening.

Some things to know: I live in the city and the water is very hard here. I also flushed it already once about two weeks ago. She normally gets 100ml water every 3 days. She has been getting ONLY distilled water for the last two months, no ferts, and the lights are on easy mode and moved higher above (about 16in) from nearest leaf. I prune once in a month, perhaps less. Checked soil PH, it was solid around neutral. I've been trying out some stuff with LST and this girl has a fun little bonsai aspect to her. She was never topped, rather laid down straight to the perimeter of the container and the lead along the outside using rubber bands to fastener to the container. I also train her by tying down growthtips with soil stakes and rubber bands to spread them out along the area of the container. Its been fun, this is only my third plant. The genetics are solid too (sensi seeds). It also started off as a very normal looking ganja plant.

I have noticed that SOME but not all of the new growth is looking more natural and with fewer mutations. However, I believe over time the normal looking leaves will get this weird cupping and discoloration as well. Some growth tips on the other hand are looking very strange.
20230725 120530

20230725 120514

Even stranger, I just pulled and harvested her sister about a month ago. She was an autoflower Purple Skunk #3. She received the same nutes and was in the same soil mix, size container and was watered at the same time with the same amount as the Black Domina. She finished with about 13g dry weight. Only a few of her leaves were lightly speckled and none of them were mutated. Unlike the Black Domina.

20230725 120535

So, any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

20230725 120612

20230725 120537

20230725 120509

20230725 120519

20230725 120559

20230725 120553

20230725 120603

T

Trotsky

Well since I have attracted no help yet, I have ordered Cal Mag from Biobizz and will see how this affects my baby here. Hoping to turn her around to her healthy self since I plan on flowering her in the coming month. Wish me luck!

If the CalMag doesn't work, I'm really at a loss. The joy of farming I suppose.

T

Trotsky

You have tmv and some nutrition issues. But that plant definitely has TOBACCO MOSIAC VIRUS.

My biggest fear here. Although I don't really understand how that can be because it is kept indoors and in a controlled environment with fresh outta the bag all star quality soil. I will try the Cal-mag anyways since I just ordered it but if that fails then TMV is the only alternative. Process of elimination I suppose. We will know in about two weeks.

I really don't want to believe its that, but time will tell.

I had a second plant (Autoflower Purple Skunk) growing right next to this one, often the leaves touched or rubbed. It never developed symptoms like my Black Domina here in the pics. Harvested her no problem. Had the exact same setup in everyway, even got watered the same time with the same amount (I have an auto watering pump which I put in both containers).

Edit: Reading abit more about TMV I realize the only unaccounted variable here is the scissors I use to trim my plants. I have not sterilized them recently and use them about once a month to prune. fingers crossed its still Calmag but the pics from the TMV post are way too spot on I think. Big bummer because this is my only photoperiod plant and I have put a lot of work into her

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
Captspaulding

Captspaulding

What’s the matter? Don’t like clowns? 🤡
Supporter
My biggest fear here. Although I don't really understand how that can be because it is kept indoors and in a controlled environment with fresh outta the bag all star quality soil. I will try the Cal-mag anyways since I just ordered it but if that fails then TMV is the only alternative. Process of elimination I suppose. We will know in about two weeks.

I really don't want to believe its that, but time will tell.

I had a second plant (Autoflower Purple Skunk) growing right next to this one, often the leaves touched or rubbed. It never developed symptoms like my Black Domina here in the pics. Harvested her no problem. Had the exact same setup in everyway, even got watered the same time with the same amount (I have an auto watering pump which I put in both containers).

Edit: Reading abit more about TMV I realize the only unaccounted variable here is the scissors I use to trim my plants. I have not sterilized them recently and use them about once a month to prune. fingers crossed its still Calmag but the pics from the TMV post are way too spot on I think. Big bummer because this is my only photoperiod plant and I have put a lot of work into her
Yeah, it’s definitely tmv buddy, there are nutritional issues as well, now, I have had plants with it, it can be genetically imprinted In seed too, not just transfer from non sterile tools, though that is a large component. I just kept growing it, it doesn’t spread to other plants as long as you practice cleaning tools in between so I figured let it roll, it threw some odd nuggets, but threw some fire too, I just thought of the plant as the comic book character two face 🤣. Cal mag isn’t a bad start with that plant, but I will say, if you are using only half of what your nutrients call for, I doubt it’s toxicity. I’m pretty sure your deficient.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Mostly fine it seems, never been an issue with staying too wet. I frequently finger the soil to gauge it and also lift the pot, plenty of drainage holes in the container.
Whether or not tobacco mosaic virus actually infects cannabis or not aside, where you got just 13 g. dry from your previous harvest I would reassess my entire operation from go because something's not right friend, and some of the things you're doing like distilled water and not feeding and this and that that's not really going to be conducive to a healthy grow. These are fundamentals that you might want to go back and reassess, including your grow setup, there might be some easy changes that will help your grow along, like improved light a more fundamental approach to nutrients and other basics along those lines. Best wishes

Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Multiple problems at once going around that plant, damn, sad little girl.

What's you tap water EC?
Drop using RO water if your tap has aceptable EC, Ro water can be a bitch for some setups/styles and line of nutrients.

I'm not sure but biobizz isn't made for softwater as far I remember.

And don't be afraid of biobizz it's virtually impossible to fry plants with that line of nutrients under normal feeding strength really.

T

Trotsky

Whether or not tobacco mosaic virus actually infects cannabis or not aside, where you got just 13 g. dry from your previous harvest I would reassess my entire operation from go because something's not right friend, and some of the things you're doing like distilled water and not feeding and this and that that's not really going to be conducive to a healthy grow. These are fundamentals that you might want to go back and reassess, including your grow setup, there might be some easy changes that will help your grow along, like improved light a more fundamental approach to nutrients and other basics along those lines. Best wishes
Yeah I definitely made a few errors along the way. Namely, I kept uppotting it instead of plopping her directly into the finishing pot. This definitely delayed some growth I think. The Autoflower that gave me 13g was also only my second plant ever harvested, so I'm definitely living and learning here.

Just dropped the CalMag in today. Gonna give it a few weeks and see how it affects her. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the help!

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Yeah I definitely made a few errors along the way. Namely, I kept uppotting it instead of plopping her directly into the finishing pot. This definitely delayed some growth I think. The Autoflower that gave me 13g was also only my second plant ever harvested, so I'm definitely living and learning here.

Just dropped the CalMag in today. Gonna give it a few weeks and see how it affects her. Keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the help!
Up-potting, if done properly, will enhance growth rather than hinder. It can be tricky to master it but if done right the plants will love you for it.. I progress from tiny fabric pots about the size of a soda can, to 1 gallon to 3 gallon to 5 or 7 gallon, and then to outdoors or a 25-30 gallon final pot. I usually transplant once I start to see roots come out the bottom of the pot (I mostly run oldschool hard pots). At that point it's usually roots all the way from top to bottom and the dirt and roots slide right out of the pot without even trying. I then fill the next size up pot with my growing media, apply some root fungi and bacteria inoculant powder, stick the plant in, and then fill in the sides and pack it in all the way around the outer walls as hard as I can with my knuckles, packing in the dirt/growing media as much as I can, and then water it in to saturation. Pretty simple process, but you have to be careful handling the roots and know when it's time to up-pot.

Usually, I get zero transplant shock and the plants just keep on truckin'.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Up-potting, if done properly, will enhance growth rather than hinder. It can be tricky to master it but if done right the plants will love you for it.. I progress from tiny fabric pots about the size of a soda can, to 1 gallon to 3 gallon to 5 or 7 gallon, and then to outdoors or a 25-30 gallon final pot. I usually transplant once I start to see roots come out the bottom of the pot (I mostly run oldschool hard pots). At that point it's usually roots all the way from top to bottom and the dirt and roots slide right out of the pot without even trying. I then fill the next size up pot with my growing media, apply some root fungi and bacteria inoculant powder, stick the plant in, and then fill in the sides and pack it in all the way around the outer walls as hard as I can with my knuckles, packing in the dirt/growing media as much as I can, and then water it in to saturation. Pretty simple process, but you have to be careful handling the roots and know when it's time to up-pot.

This 100% I go from about 1/2 cup size to about a 1 pint (2weeks) , then to a 1 gal (2 weeks) then 5 gal for the final pot here’s a root ball from a 5 gal I just pulled the other day (bottom side up there’s metal screen on the bottom) each of the first 3 pots root balls look like this as well after the 2 week stints in the pots normally I don’t even notice a difference in growth speed as long as you don’t let them get completely rootbound before transplanting

IMG 7439
T

Trotsky

Oh for sure and I up pot the plants when necessary. I have a rather large balcony garden, so the concept isn't necessarily foreign, though you've certainly raised some new points here and I will definitely now invest in some root fungi (and particular brand you'd recommend?). My method is somewhat similar, I pop the plant outta the old pot and plop her into a new one that I've already filled and then wet the soil with some Biobizz Root Juice boosted water. I've found many times they go nuts and most of my gals don't even seem to notice the transplant at all. I like to bury them a bit deeper in every up pot though because the height of the plant is a major constraining factor in my setup. Trying to keep it low.

The thing is that I've read that Autoflowers should be exposed to as little shock as possible, because they have such a short timer in general before flowering. This I did not consider prior to up potting it. To avoid this problem, I just dropped my latest autoflower into the final pot that she'll be harvested in (just under 9gal at 40L), whereas in the past I up-potted my autoflower several times like you described (tiny fabric pot then small plastic, medium, large, final and even once right before flowering which I read was a bit of a gamble).

Ultimately I now believe the 13g autoflower I harvested may have also been falling victim to a calmag issue as some of the foilage began turning a bit spotty towards the end, though nothing as intense and outwardly expressed as this Black Domina photoperiod. It was also hard to distinguish between that and the process of senescence since it lasted about 110 days.

Anyways, we'll see when it comes to the Black Domina photoperiod here. I've sunk a lot of hours into her and for her to simply have contracted some crazy uncureable illness will be super sucky.

Last edited:
T

Trotsky

Multiple problems at once going around that plant, damn, sad little girl.

What's you tap water EC?
Drop using RO water if your tap has aceptable EC, Ro water can be a bitch for some setups/styles and line of nutrients.

I'm not sure but biobizz isn't made for softwater as far I remember.

And don't be afraid of biobizz it's virtually impossible to fry plants with that line of nutrients under normal feeding strength really.
Not entirely sure. Here is the analysis from the local water authority:

T

Trotsky

Yeah, it’s definitely tmv buddy, there are nutritional issues as well, now, I have had plants with it, it can be genetically imprinted In seed too, not just transfer from non sterile tools, though that is a large component. I just kept growing it, it doesn’t spread to other plants as long as you practice cleaning tools in between so I figured let it roll, it threw some odd nuggets, but threw some fire too, I just thought of the plant as the comic book character two face 🤣. Cal mag isn’t a bad start with that plant, but I will say, if you are using only half of what your nutrients call for, I doubt it’s toxicity. I’m pretty sure your deficient.
Hm I would hope not with the imprinted seeds, because I got these seeds from a reputable seed bank (sensi seeds) and the plant started off rather normally for the first few months. Then I left for a few days on vacation in May and came back to find little spots all over it which is when the calmag issue started I think. Overtime, its foliage stopped being normal, it stopped growing at speed by most accounts, but recently it has grown some more normal looking foliage after the flush.

Take a peek here, nothing too crazy happening with these leaves yet for example, though I admit it may progress more over time. You can see the first few spots of failed chlorophyll on two of them, but the 1st pic displays a rather normal leaf. Looking closer though, you can already see that one half of the center arm is growing lopsided, meaning it will eventually look like the other leaves from previous pics in the thread.

After 2 months of basically zero nutrients, I do believe it is deficient at this point. I will being using nutes again in the coming waterings and see what happens. At this point it is just an experiment. A case study if you will.

Sad because this was going to be my big summer bonsai project but she has had one too many hiccups to become the monster bush I dreamed about when I planted her in feb. oh well.

363496919 627612249351519 4263981471915457551 n
359041925 638658548236097 571367586891010801 n
363512611 2164205957109622 2367373516576989664 n
Trash_2002

Trash_2002

Yep it's pretty hard water 1.0ec is a lot.
Use RO, but, you have to buffer it with potassium silicate and/or calmag before adding nutrients.

Top Bottom