Mystery Mites?

• Thread starter AKFrost
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AKFrost

AKFrost

Hello everyone, I am new here and have come across a problem with my grow. I have been experiencing slowed growth, seems like a constant cal/ mag def, nutrient, humidity, and temp sensitivities in all my strains. I believe I have Bulb Mites but it seems there are eggs on the undersides of my leaves (only visible with a scope). So it leaves me baffled as to what the hell this bug is. I can visually see these tiny bugs on top off my rockwool cubes and don't think they are soil mites. They move slow and when sprayed with anything they dig in and vanish in the rockwool. I have NOT been able to find a bug anywhere on the plant itself including new or old growth. I have been checking them everyday for about 2 weeks with a 20x-100x scope and still haven't been able to find bugs on the plant, night or day. I have posted these pics and questions on other websites without a solid answer as to what it is and how to deal with them. If they are bulb mites I have been told predatory insects are pretty much the only way to get rid of them, but no one has had to deal with them personally. To start the war on these bugs. I have started new clones and plan on clearing and sanitizing everything in my rooms. At the very least I know it will be easier to get rid these bugs with smaller plant sizes and numbers. Thank you for any insite as to what these are and how to get rid of them.

Mystery mites
Mystery mites 2
Mystery mites 3
Mystery mites 4
Mystery mites 5
Mystery mites 6
DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
Looks like maybe spider mites, look under spotted leaves for pearl looking egg sacks and two spotted spider mites chilling. Never seen em retreat into rockwool but those dont have two spots so they may just be young ones getting ready to climb up and start spinning webs...

gravekat303

gravekat303

Premium Member
Supporter
Do root aphids lay eggs on the leaves like that?
I looked up pics of root aphids and they looked different than those.
The dots on the leaves look like spider mite eggs to me.
No but those almost look like dust or something I figured root aphid because of where they are and how when he sprays them they dig in an hide

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
phytoline.png

I dont think spider mites get their spots until they are adults.

Dunge

Dunge

I'd like to see how they like a soak of Azamax.
You are doing a great job of observation and recording the pest, now lets see how they react to some chemical assaults.

AKFrost

AKFrost

I meant to say root afids not root mites, sorry about that. They don't really look similar I think. I don't think they are russet mites either. I found a video on YouTube for identifying russet mites. Already ahead of you on that one Dunge...lol. Yesterday I went and got some Azamax and bomb to try and for when I clean my rooms. Also a friend of mine gave me some floramite sc and another friend of mine has some other stuff he said he is going to bring me. I'll give the azamax a try today. I have tried spraying them with mighty wash and it had no effect on them.They just dug in the rockwool and came back out after it resided. Same thing happened with neem oil. I got a new strain of orange banana kush a while ago. I put it in dirt and it has surpassed my hydro plants. Maybe I keep the dirt too dry for them to thrive. But I have noticed the egg looking things on that plant too just not as many of them. I know they are there cause that plant has started to slow down on growth now too. Also I'm going to put some Vaseline on the base of a stem and see if I can catch em trying to go up the plants. If all that doesn't work I'm going to keep trying to see what will kill them. I did find a hot water dunk (122 F) for 15 min seemed to work for killing them. About 4 days went by and then they started coming back on that plant. Even after keeping it isolated. I kept my plants in veg until my clones root. Until they do. I have time to experiment on these little bastards and find out how to get rid/ kill em. Thanks for all the feedback everyone

AKFrost

AKFrost

I think they are bulb mites or could be mould mites. I posted more info on what's going on in another thread I found on bulb mites in the cannabis infirmary section. But since I use H2O2 at every res change. I don't think that's what they would be. They do seem to like the alge on top of the rockwool as that's where I find the majority of them. I'll start more experimenting today

guymandude

guymandude

http://www.everwoodfarm.com/Pest_Insect_Cross_Listing/Bulb_Mites

after reading the above article, my advice to to burn your plants, clean out your rooms , and i mean clean the rooms - absolutely no plant material, dead buds, nothing should remain. Spray everything down with bleach and let the rooms sit empty for 3 months.

no i am not kidding. That's how i finally got rid of the broad mites i fought for 3 years. Make sure the fresh air intakes into your rooms are filtered too. I use cloth pots i believe a 2 gallon cloth pot fits perfectly over an 8 inch inline fan and works great for pollen and bugs.

AKFrost

AKFrost

I think you maybe right with that post guymandude. Sucks cause I won't be able to get all my strains back. After my experiments yesterday I found these pests are most likely bulb mites due to there resistance and sight. I tested floramite sc, azamax, neem oil, 70% iso alcohol mixed at 50/50 and mighty wash on these things. Let them soak for about 5 min each. Than I grabed some small plastic cups I use for airbrushing. Filled them with the above mentioned remedies and two infested rockwool grow cubes each. Pulled them out and let them sit in there own new cups over night. Just checked the cubes and found them still crawling around this morning under the scope like nothing happened at all. I did apply some Vaseline to the stocks and found no bugs stuck this morning. Doesn't mean that those egg looking spheres are not from them though. I still have the one option of heat drenches for 10 min at 122F. I will more than likely not be trying much more than the hot water treatments. I'm not a huge fan of pesticides in any form. But did want to test some of the stuff I already had or was given to me to try besides the azamax. I found another article on them and it says dicofol (Kelthane) is the most effective.
"The University of Minnesota showed that Avid applied as a drench or bulb soak and Vendex drenches provided SOME bulb mite control. Neither of these products is registered for use as a drench or soak. DuraGuard, Avid, Hexygon and Kelthane were the best treatments in a drench experiment on Easter lilies at Ohio State University's OARDC." Don't think I want to go down that road. So I'll probably wait on my clones and see if I can save some of them with the hot water treatments. Pray that the spheres are not eggs. If not I will do as stated. Walk away from my favorite hobby/personal supplier for about 3-4 months after clearing and cleaning everything.

guymandude

guymandude

I think you maybe right with that post guymandude. Sucks cause I won't be able to get all my strains back. After my experiments yesterday I found these pests are most likely bulb mites due to there resistance and sight. I tested floramite sc, azamax, neem oil, 70% iso alcohol mixed at 50/50 and mighty wash on these things. Let them soak for about 5 min each. Than I grabed some small plastic cups I use for airbrushing. Filled them with the above mentioned remedies and two infested rockwool grow cubes each. Pulled them out and let them sit in there own new cups over night. Just checked the cubes and found them still crawling around this morning under the scope like nothing happened at all. I did apply some Vaseline to the stocks and found no bugs stuck this morning. Doesn't mean that those egg looking spheres are not from them though. I still have the one option of heat drenches for 10 min at 122F. I will more than likely not be trying much more than the hot water treatments. I'm not a huge fan of pesticides in any form. But did want to test some of the stuff I already had or was given to me to try besides the azamax. I found another article on them and it says dicofol (Kelthane) is the most effective.
"The University of Minnesota showed that Avid applied as a drench or bulb soak and Vendex drenches provided SOME bulb mite control. Neither of these products is registered for use as a drench or soak. DuraGuard, Avid, Hexygon and Kelthane were the best treatments in a drench experiment on Easter lilies at Ohio State University's OARDC." Don't think I want to go down that road. So I'll probably wait on my clones and see if I can save some of them with the hot water treatments. Pray that the spheres are not eggs. If not I will do as stated. Walk away from my favorite hobby/personal supplier for about 3-4 months after clearing and cleaning everything.

there's lots of genetics available. AFter my cleanout I was ale to tap friends and get most of what I wanted back now I'm swimming with trains - too many actually. Karma is a great thing.

Fox Farms

Fox Farms

I need help. I recently had an unknown infestation that may force me to throw away a big crop. It looks like tan dust that is only on the tops of the leaves and comes off if I touch it. I need some advice from an experienced grower. What is this?

20170630 170408
20170630 170330
guymandude

guymandude

I need help. I recently had an unknown infestation that may force me to throw away a big crop. It looks like tan dust that is only on the tops of the leaves and comes off if I touch it. I need some advice from an experienced grower. What is this?

if it is Russet Mite or Broad mites, good luck. I fought them for 3 years and finally did a total cleanout, bruned everythig, bleached everything and let my roos sit empty for 3 months. Happy to report i am bug free and have been since i did the clean out

Fox Farms

Fox Farms

The advise us much appreciated guymandude do you know if neem can do the trick? I am to small scale to invest in fumagation... if it's not a mite though what else could it be?

Latest posts

Top Bottom