Natural silica?

• Thread starter GirlCarny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GirlCarny

If you used some diatomaceus earth in your soil Would the plants uptake the silica from it?

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

No idea. I was gonna ask if you could brew an ACT with silica in it? Maybe add the silica first?

C

cymbaline

I don't know about the DE but you can use horsetail and it works.

T

tonto

horse tail works fantastically
i believe you can also use bamboo leaves and wheat/barley(?) stems

phenotyper

phenotyper

Motherlode, I use silica with my soil mixtures with great results. I notice bigger stalks, stems leaves and more bud weight. I use both ProTekt and Green Sand.

Green Sand contains high about of silica and potassium. I use it in my super soil mix.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
shit mang - learn something new everyday - lol

G

GirlCarny

Thank you for all the replies Looks like Im off to try something different than what I have been.

Rice hulls? never thought of them they leech silica? I can get that at the feed store really cheap they are so slimy when they get wet though

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Mine feel like shrimp shells when they're wet. Yes, rice hulls. I can't say that they "leach" silica as I don't know that for a fact, but I'm sure that at the very least it can be released via microbial activity.

S

Shredder

No idea. I was gonna ask if you could brew an ACT with silica in it? Maybe add the silica first?

I don't see why not, although some products have some nutrient value as well, I think the dyna gro product is something like 0-0-3, and they could raise ph, just something to keep in mind.......shredder

crom

crom

Cannobi Genetics
Supporter
I like silica blast from botanicare...bottled product, but works great none-the-less.

I use Silica Blast as well. It seems to work. Although I never did a side by side. Is Silica Blast from Botanicare considered organic?

"Botanicare Silica Blast Plant Bio-mass Yield Enhancer stengthens plant tissue so they can flourish in adverse environmental conditions such as heat, drought, and frost.

Derived from Sodium Silicate and Potassium Silicate, this nutrient supplement also enhances bloom and fruiting yields!

Especially useful for cloning as Silica Blast acts as a transpirant to prevent wilting in plant cuttings.

Silica Blast works well with both potted plants and hydroponic gardens. Simply add it to your existing fertilizer program."

Now Silica Blast is, as underlined above, Sodium Silicate and Potassium Silicate.

Potassium Silicate has been used in organic programs-interesting link:

Sodium Silicate has a place in organics, intersting link

Is there anything in it that will kill or harm beneficial s in the rhizosphere? Curious is all

Cheers,
Crom

S

sidewing

no DE will not work.. and silica blast is just a waste of money.. get a 40LB bag of azomite (since we r organic soil im assuming) which will cost u like 20 bux.. and will last forever.. mix some azomite in with your soil.. it has nearly all the micronutrients u need including silica. if u are already running, try adding a teaspoon to a tablespoon in a gallon of water.

H

headiemeddie420

there have been some great responses. I would suggest organic bamboo extract(70+% soluble silica),horsetail (equisetum powder), diatoms (crushed micronized and soakedin mild citric acid solution.) rice hulls are a great source as well,or look into the organic silicate minerals (ex kaolinite) and just break these down with organic acids and water and bacteria (lactobacillus enzyme digestion) hope this helps.

C

claudacio

All the organic responses are great to know, I've been using dynagro protekt silica, I'm not sure but its said its better than the botanicare silica blast, do I know for sure no I do not, but I do know adding the protekt @ 1ml per gallon doesnt hurt the microherd, not sure if higher doses will effect anything in the soil but I like the organic ideas a little better myself and will be trying a few of them, the green sand as well as the azomite, and the rice hulls not only for its silica content but its similar to perlite and can be used as perlite would, not sure how much to use though or if it will have an effect.

hashrip

hashrip

While we are talking about silica i wanted to ask a question about it even though it's a little off topic. I've read Ed Rosenthal's marijuana handbook and he mentioned a single nutrient that had direct corolation to the plant's expandability when smoked. I believe he mentioned silica but it's been so long that I dont remember. Does anyone know for sure if silica effects the expandability of the smoke?

Latest posts

Top Bottom