Need assistance running extra breaker/wire/outlet

• Thread starter Cashmeh
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I would like to run the entire 4x8 off one breaker if possible. I will be adding it to the left pole on my breaker. I know just enough about electricity get my myself killed atm. I had a buddy tell me what to do, hes an electrician. Yet hes busy and im not trying to give him all my details anyways or have him come over and check it out if ya know what I mean. Anyways. . I have 2 - 1000w HIDS, 1 window unit, 1 magnet air pump, one water pump and 2-8 inch fans, one inlet and out outlet. I dont have to have fans inside the tent, there will be plenty of air circulation and im scrogging and having long vegs.

My buddy told me just for the lights and window unit to run 10awg and a 30amp breaker. I only need like 25 ft of the cable, yet lowes has so many choices. Hes working so i figured id type it all out here. Im going to run the line under the floor and up to the room. Half of the wall outlets in that room do not work and I dont know why. There was a house fire a few years ago and im pretty sure something is still capped off, plus when i bought the place half of this bedroom being used didnt have working outlets. . .and half of the attached bathrooms outlets and ceiling fan have no power.
The 2x4 grow room is currently on the SE 15 amp breaker. When i add all this to it. . lol it tripss both grow rooms. I want both systems on separate breakers just encase one system fails im dont lose everything.

My panel has a slot on the left available, ill throw the main outside, and the main inside, take the front panel off, Install the Breaker from any lowes that you all tell me to buy, and then ill run the wire under the floor, because attic has no access(modular), pull it to the room and mount it up high away from my hydro system lol. .

If i didnt have 240 this would be easier for me, meaning i get it all if its one wire and 120v, i can calculate the amps, and understand how a single breaker works. yet when the breakers are linked together and theres 4 wires, or just one 3 strand wire linking them. . idk, i just want it to be simple for me. I dont want to be wiring up something I dont understand.

So how would I do this with one wire and one outlet, possible 2 outlets if needed. Im seeing i can use a 4 cable cord, a dual breaker, run it how though. .as 240 lol? idk what series or parallel is yet. . I just know positive, negative, ground, amps, watts, volts :\ help?. . please help??? I only need 25ft of cord, what should i get at lowes thats the cheapest? Im poor always.

Need assistance running extra breakerwireoutlet
Need assistance running extra breakerwireoutlet 2
CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

Do u have room on the panel for an additional circuit?

running a full 4x8 on one circuit it’s going to happen…..or chur out it’s full potential

I have a 30 ish amps and don’t even have ac.
Lights, pumps, fans, dehumidifiers, chiller

What do u do for hvac? I have to imagine your in a basement

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

No basement just partitioned off a room making the grow space bigger.

I havnt taken the cover off yet, but as in the picture. I'd say the lights, and ac need 15 amps. The fans need 5, and the pumps need 2.

Which is why I say I need a 30 Amp. I can run a 3 wire 10 Guage line.. And then what.. Idk what kind of recepticles to buy. I know I need around 10 plug-ins lol.. I'm so confused..

I know I am a quick learner and have the majority understood. I tried searching YouTube for tutorials but all I get are the basic shit I already know. Anyone wanna point me in the right direction?

My dad passed a year ago. He was an automation engineer. I've never had to ask for real help.. He always came and just did it all. Now I'm trying to save money and do it all myself lol..

Right now I have extension cords through the house. One for each light.. Lol... It's because the back half. Of the house doesn't us any amps really.

20210806 180638
CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

I have 2 buddies, one who can run so and whip (builds grow setups really) and the other whose a real electrician.

I only have my buddy who does it for a living doing my stuff. U can have things go wrong, I sold wire for 9 years but adding circuits to a panel is the real deal.

please tell me u don’t plan to run bare wire?

Ponky

Ponky

I don't think that would be legal. 30 amp circuits are for dedicated appliances. I don't think you can hook up a run of sockets to it.

"You are not allowed to split a high current 30A or 50A line, or many other lines such as microwaves. That's against code. The line must be from a single outlet to breaker panel. You cannot have a 30A 2 pole breaker powering two 30A outlets."

But depends where you live I guess.

Cbdfool

Cbdfool

Call an electrician. Your buddy doesn’t sound like he really knows what’s going on. 30A single pole or double, for what? The 2 lights are 16 amps. That’s one 20 amp circuit. The rest can be on another 20A. You have 3 spaces for breakers. That’s 2 12/2 NM-B cables. But there’s more to it. Don’t burn the house down. Call a electrician.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Call an electrician. Your buddy doesn’t sound like he really knows what’s going on. 30A single pole or double, for what? The 2 lights are 16 amps. That’s one 20 amp circuit. The rest can be on another 20A. You have 3 spaces for breakers. That’s 2 12/2 NM-B cables. But there’s more to it. Don’t burn the house down. Call a electrician.
Yea I gotta 200$ quote. But as with the hydro, if I can understand it.. I'll be fine. Atm, I don't lol.. So of course I'm not going to do anything.

I'm a keep studying

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I just bought a large commercial building with multiple breaker panels, bad wiring that's unhooked, and branded new wiring ran. They spliced into old lines with new lines. It's a strait cobbled mess. Combine that with my house wiring issues...

Well it will cost me over 30g to get all my electrical work done if I pay someone else. If I do it all myself it will prolly cost me 1 grand in parts as I have all the tools already.

I can run 120 fine. I can branch off of 220 and aquire 120. I understand max loads and how to calculate amps. I do not understand series/parallel, dual breaker wiring.

I have powered my house with 2 generators by plugging them strait into the wall outlets with my main off.

Like I said, I won't be paying anyone, I'm a quick learner.. I just dont know what to buy and run.

Seems like I should run 10g 4 wire dual 20amp breaker. With 4 20amp dual outlets. I would just have to study the wiring a bit before I did it.

Thats technically 40 amps available if I wire it correctly right?

@LexLuthor what do u think? What wiring technique do I need to use and study.. Series.. Parallel.. 220 conversion? Like everything I search brings up dryer wiring lol

Kidkaos70

Kidkaos70

Household wiring is parallel. Series wiring is like the old type of Christmas tree lights one burns out the rest down the line don’t work.
2 /20amp breakers One hot one common/White on each to each bank of outlets 12 gauge wire would be sufficient unless it’s a long run. I would plug one light into each circuit since they pull the most power divide the rest up accordingly.
220v two hot wires no common but needs a ground either through the conduit Or a separate green wire in some cases if conduit is not used. Hope this helps you out a little.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Household wiring is parallel. Series wiring is like the old type of Christmas tree lights one burns out the rest down the line don’t work.
2 /20amp breakers One hot one common/White on each to each bank of outlets 12 gauge wire would be sufficient unless it’s a long run. I would plug one light into each circuit since they pull the most power divide the rest up accordingly.
220v two hot wires no common but needs a ground either through the conduit Or a separate green wire in some cases if conduit is not used. Hope this helps you out a little.
Yes.. I will study today to understand what you said lol.. I somewhat get it.. But I'm a stoner so I need assistance.... I'm sure I'll ask more tonight or tomorrow. Thanks so much man

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Hey cash, so first of all I am not a certified electrician, I do have experience wiring houses during remodeling jobs and I feel comfortable doing some basic grow room wiring. If I don't know something I will tell you I don't know and I wouldn't tell you to do something that I wouldn't feel comfortable doing myself. You seem like you understand enough about electrical to get by on this job.

IMO, I would run the lights on 240v and everything else 120v. I don't know if you would need to get new cords for your lights, but if you want to keep everything 120v that would work too.

If you run the 30 amp line, like ponky said, you cannot run it to multiple receptacles, not that I know of anyways. So what you can do is wire in 1 30 amp receptacle and buy a 30 amp power box that has multiple 15 amp outlets on it at 120v. That would be enough for both the lights and maybe the window a/c unit, but it depends on what the BTU of the a/c unit is. A 6000 BTU is about 500-600 watts, so about 5 amps give or take.

To play it safe, especially since the HID lights have a big surge upon startup, you could put both the lights on the power box, and thats it. That would be the safest bet. Then have the window unit on another circuit with the pump and fans. Unless the a/c is really big, like 15000+ BTU, which would require 240v I think.

If any certified electricians are here please correct me if I am wrong, I don't want bad info getting out and people blowing up there houses lol

@Cashmeh You mentioned running 10 gauge wire with dual 20 amp breakers, to get 40 amps, but the 10g wire is rated for 30 amps I think, so double check that first.

CBDfutute4

CBDfutute4

I have a 60 amp sub panel in my garage

I use 40/50 amps of it for the room + accessories

get a real electrician to do the job, don’t run 240 yourself

Pondracer

Pondracer

Its hard to imagine a scenario that more accurately portrays why someone should not do this. You have already described mulitple things you want to do that can potentially burn your house down.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

Its hard to imagine a scenario that more accurately portrays why someone should not do this. You have already described mulitple things you want to do that can potentially burn your house down.
Lol yea.. But I havnt done any of it... Huge difference in pondering and asking questions VS installing low rated equipment.

I find it ironic that people are so afraid to learn electrical, and so hesitant to give electrical advice.

Like I understand your alls fear, but I will not install parts until it's verified they work by multiple sources.

Let me say it this way, without trying to be rude.

It will be easy to do this once I understand it. I am not one of those people whom should never have their hands in an electrical box. Learning how to install a dual breaker and understanding the max load the lines and outlet can handle.. Would by far be one of the easiest things I've ever had to learn...

Some of yall should just give the person the info they need instead of discouraging them.

How about This.. If anyone wants to offer advice that won't help me figure this out.. Dont

Also one I understand it, Just for those in the back, ill do a youtube tutorial video helping others do it lol. . .hows that!!! ;)

Last edited:
Anthem

Anthem

Now I can test amperage :) this should help lol
You could literally kill yourself or burn down a structure. If saving the money is that important to you at least go on you tube and get some illustrated instructions from someone that at least has some knowledge. You can very simply figure out how amperage by taking the total amount of watts you will be using divided by voltage will give you amperage. My understanding is an 80 percent rule for a breaker. Never exceed 80 percent of the rating for a prolonged time. So take your total amount of watts divide by probably 120 volts would be best. And you need 3 wires for 120 volts. Positive, Neutral and Ground. If you want to figure out the gauge of the wire needed you can search the web for the NEC and use the numbers from there. Also you are not going to get a 30k electrical job done with just 1k of materials. The copper and steel have went thru the roof since the beginning of the year. Turn off the main before you start taking the deadmans cover off the panel as well.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

You could literally kill yourself or burn down a structure. If saving the money is that important to you at least go on you tube and get some illustrated instructions from someone that at least has some knowledge. You can very simply figure out how amperage by taking the total amount of watts you will be using divided by voltage will give you amperage. My understanding is an 80 percent rule for a breaker. Never exceed 80 percent of the rating for a prolonged time. So take your total amount of watts divide by probably 120 volts would be best. And you need 3 wires for 120 volts. Positive, Neutral and Ground. If you want to figure out the gauge of the wire needed you can search the web for the NEC and use the numbers from there. Also you are not going to get a 30k electrical job done with just 1k of materials. The copper and steel have went thru the roof since the beginning of the year. Turn off the main before you start taking the deadmans cover off the panel as well.
I hate saying I learn from YouTube but I've been studying main/sub wiring and breaker wiring. I wont be taking the panel off for a while. My home has a main outside I can throw, my building does not, yet my building has a sub and my home does not lol...

I lock out tag out 480 all the time at work for checks. Pretty much everything I do will get me killed lol. So no, I don't take it lightly. Idk how I'm suppose to read amps with the main off though. Anyways I'll get the proper ppe, which no one has mentioned lol.. And I won't do anything I don't understand as usual.

Gotta get there somehow.

I'm in my environment testing phase now and being I'm running extension cords to other circuits in the House, and nothings tripped. I'm sure I know what I need now and how to install it. I'm only using 16amps from other rooms. So if I install a single, 20amp breaker, run 25ft of 12awg to my room, I can then plug both lights into a single 20amp recepticle. And.. I'll leave it wired for a light controller for future upgrades.

I just didn't know if 20amps would have been enough. But now I know it will due to testing.

I am thankful yall are looking out for me. Yet as an avid crotch rocket race junkie, I realize the risks actual living in this world has.

Og_punkgenetics

Og_punkgenetics

I would like to run the entire 4x8 off one breaker if possible. I will be adding it to the left pole on my breaker. I know just enough about electricity get my myself killed atm. I had a buddy tell me what to do, hes an electrician. Yet hes busy and im not trying to give him all my details anyways or have him come over and check it out if ya know what I mean. Anyways. . I have 2 - 1000w HIDS, 1 window unit, 1 magnet air pump, one water pump and 2-8 inch fans, one inlet and out outlet. I dont have to have fans inside the tent, there will be plenty of air circulation and im scrogging and having long vegs.

My buddy told me just for the lights and window unit to run 10awg and a 30amp breaker. I only need like 25 ft of the cable, yet lowes has so many choices. Hes working so i figured id type it all out here. Im going to run the line under the floor and up to the room. Half of the wall outlets in that room do not work and I dont know why. There was a house fire a few years ago and im pretty sure something is still capped off, plus when i bought the place half of this bedroom being used didnt have working outlets. . .and half of the attached bathrooms outlets and ceiling fan have no power.
The 2x4 grow room is currently on the SE 15 amp breaker. When i add all this to it. . lol it tripss both grow rooms. I want both systems on separate breakers just encase one system fails im dont lose everything.

My panel has a slot on the left available, ill throw the main outside, and the main inside, take the front panel off, Install the Breaker from any lowes that you all tell me to buy, and then ill run the wire under the floor, because attic has no access(modular), pull it to the room and mount it up high away from my hydro system lol. .

If i didnt have 240 this would be easier for me, meaning i get it all if its one wire and 120v, i can calculate the amps, and understand how a single breaker works. yet when the breakers are linked together and theres 4 wires, or just one 3 strand wire linking them. . idk, i just want it to be simple for me. I dont want to be wiring up something I dont understand.

So how would I do this with one wire and one outlet, possible 2 outlets if needed. Im seeing i can use a 4 cable cord, a dual breaker, run it how though. .as 240 lol? idk what series or parallel is yet. . I just know positive, negative, ground, amps, watts, volts :\ help?. . please help??? I only need 25ft of cord, what should i get at lowes thats the cheapest? Im poor always.
Do you want to find out what kind of panel you have appropriate breaker, and then just add up your combined amperage get the appropriately sized breaker. Why are you want is Called 10 Awg . Get copper stranded That is in fact what the total combined antthat is in fact what the total combined amps can carry. Everything you have should have either AmbridgEverything you have should have either Amperage minimum circuit ampacity labled on the boiler plates

Latest posts

Top Bottom