Need help identifying what's happening with my plant

• Thread starter reinserkmo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

reinserkmo

Greetings,

I really need some help to identify what's wrong with my plant!

I've been growing with Biobizz products using the recommended amounts, 50W LED lights, Sphagnum and perlyte, trying to water only when i poke my finger into soil and feel it lightly dry ( roughly every 2 days), trying to control the humidity to about 60 % and temperature to max 28 celsius (kinda hard as it is very hot lately here), PH my feed solutions to about 6.2. My plant is about 3 weeks old, and it started showing yellowing leaves and very slow growth.

Need help identifying whats happening with my plant
Need help identifying whats happening with my plant 2
Need help identifying whats happening with my plant 3
Need help identifying whats happening with my plant 4
ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

It looks over-watered to me, based on the texture and thickness of the leaves, and miniaturization. Do you have a lot of drainage holes in the bottom of the cup? I don't trust the "finger test" for water content. In soil, I water to run-off, only when the pot is very light. I would expect a plant that size in a cup that size to go 5 days or more between waterings. Over-watering is watering too often, as opposed to giving too much water at once.

R

reinserkmo

It looks over-watered to me, based on the texture and thickness of the leaves, and miniaturization. Do you have a lot of drainage holes in the bottom of the cup? I don't trust the "finger test" for water content. In soil, I water to run-off, only when the pot is very light. I would expect a plant that size in a cup that size to go 5 days or more between waterings. Over-watering is watering too often, as opposed to giving too much water at once.
Yeah, i tought so. I couldn't check myself, as i am travelling atm, but looking at photos my wife sent me these days i could see some green spots at the soil, maybe algae or Moss growing as i feed the plant kelp. We used to Water her with around 150 ml every 2 days (the cup is about 500 ml).

R

reinserkmo

Yeah, i tought so. I couldn't check myself, as i am travelling atm, but looking at photos my wife sent me these days i could see some green spots at the soil, maybe algae or Moss growing as i feed the plant kelp. We used to Water her with around 150 ml every 2 days (the cup is about 500 ml).
Her latest photos, it has been 3 days since the last watering. But the leaves keep yellowing, i think i'll loose the big leaves.

IMG 20231130 WA0195
IMG 20231130 WA0194
R

reinserkmo

Yea looks to wet popcorn dry fart before watering very close to wilting I would toss it in a 2or 3 gallon pot fresh dry dirt top it and you will be fine
I didn't suspect overwatering issues at first as, according to the pics i've seen, the leaves start drooping and the plant looks kinda sad lol, my plant leaves were pointing up just fine and i was watering about 15% of the cups volume. I've suspended watering for now, the bottom leaves dried fully, but the top grow are looking kinda better by now.

Charlie946

Charlie946

Lower leaves yellowing and dying usually means a mobile nute (nitrogen) isn't available and is being pulled from older leaves. It can also be a symptom of over watering. I'm not familiar with those nutrs are you able to check ec both going in and coming out?

R

reinserkmo

Lower leaves yellowing and dying usually means a mobile nute (nitrogen) isn't available and is being pulled from older leaves. It can also be a symptom of over watering. I'm not familiar with those nutrs are you able to check ec both going in and coming out?
I've emailed biobizz regarding EC measurements with their products. What they said makes sense, EC measurements take in account the amount of Ions dissolved in water, thus making the water more conductible. Organic fertilizers (including Biobizz nutes), opposed as mineral ones, contain organic molecules that doesn't ionize as easily in water making the EC measurement irrelevant.

R

reinserkmo

Today is the 5th day after i stopped watering. I will feed her 150 ml of water + nutes as i feel that her appearance is getting worse and the leaves are starting to get dry and crispy.

WhatsApp Image 2023 12 03 at 133720
WhatsApp Image 2023 12 03 at 133741
WhatsApp Image 2023 12 03 at 133749
WhatsApp Image 2023 12 03 at 133755
Charlie946

Charlie946

I've emailed biobizz regarding EC measurements with their products. What they said makes sense, EC measurements take in account the amount of Ions dissolved in water, thus making the water more conductible. Organic fertilizers (including Biobizz nutes), opposed as mineral ones, contain organic molecules that doesn't ionize as easily in water making the EC measurement irrelevant.
Yes, organic fertilizers don't read on the ec meters. What does the packaging say about rates? A seedling like that hardly needs much food at this point. I would still say your light is way to close and the leaves are showing signs of nute burn ( too much n)

Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Oh my from one of extreme to the other.

Firstly when you put your finger in a pot and it feels moist then don’t water.

It’s easy to stunt a young plant by feeding to much

Ok so we are we’re we are and the finger part is as good as irrelevant with such a massive pot.

Unless it’s a automatic witch I really hope it isn’t as autos don’t get time to recover before flowering you should of potted up to a smaller pot nvm that’s done now.

Ok how far away is that light it looks awful close and is that soil ( that contains food ) in there

Also am I reading your meter right 31c aka 87f

R

reinserkmo

Yes, organic fertilizers don't read on the ec meters. What does the packaging say about rates? A seedling like that hardly needs much food at this point. I would still say your light is way to close and the leaves are showing signs of nute burn ( too much n)
I've been using the feeding chart annexed here, currently i'm following the week 2 column, i'll turn to week 3 only when i want to trigger flowering.

Images
R

reinserkmo

Oh my from one of extreme to the other.

Firstly when you put your finger in a pot and it feels moist then don’t water.

It’s easy to stunt a young plant by feeding to much

Ok so we are we’re we are and the finger part is as good as irrelevant with such a massive pot.

Unless it’s a automatic witch I really hope it isn’t as autos don’t get time to recover before flowering you should of potted up to a smaller pot nvm that’s done now.

Ok how far away is that light it looks awful close and is that soil ( that contains food ) in there

Also am I reading your meter right 31c aka 87f
I have some 4 litre felt pots here, but someone suggested to transplant to a 2 gallon pot and the pot i used are about 7 litres, so i figured it'd be ok. The plant is a BCN feminized Sour Diesel, so i hope i'll be able to fix.

Last cycle i tried to grow some auto seeds, but the plants started flowering when they were smaller than this plant. As for the lights, the pic was before i adjusted the height it is about 35 cm from the plant.

The substrate is just sphagnum, all nutrients come from the liquid fertilizers only.

It has been a really hot summer here, there isn't much i could do about the temperature. I try to leave the grow doors open and the fan operating, at night i turn the AC on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom