need help planning a grow 8x4x6.5 grow tent

• Thread starter greenguy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
greenguy

greenguy

ok so I'm planning a grow in a 8x4x6.5 grow tent and was hoping to get some help planning. Planning on running 2 1000w hps w 6inch cooltubes in this space with a 400cfm blower pulling through the two lights and a filter on the end of the first light. The interior will also be cooled by ac. My question is is that too much light? and is a 400cfm big enough?

greenguy

greenguy

I'm thinking I will need a bigger blower than 400 vfm...what do you think?

oregongreener

oregongreener

What is the goal of the fan? To cool the hoods or the entire tent?

Since you stated you're using AC inside the tent, I presume you do not intend to use the fan to draw air passively into the tent?

In my 4x4x6.5 tent I run 1 x1000watt light in a cool tube. I have my 435CFM centrifugal fan connected to the cool tube with the intake side left open. I have an intake port for my tent that this fan draws air thru passively. This cools the light and the tent. However, this is a LOT of air moving thru my small tent and presents its own host of challenges. I'm not so sure you need a huge fan if all you're looking to do is cool the hoods. I would think a 200CFM inline booster fan would do what you need. But hey, I'm no expert, so please, continue to seek other advice.

-greener

D

dgrow

You will want to take into account the position of the fan. If there are any bends (45 degree, 90 degree etc) in the ducting attached to the fan you will loose considerable suction. You want to avoid extreme bends to keep suction up. Typically when sizing your fan you need to calculate the total cubic feet. In your case 8'x4'x6.5' = 208 Cubic Feet. Your fan moves 400 cubic feet/minute. This means you will exchange the air in the tent approx. 2 times every minute. That should be sufficient. Please remember these numbers apply only if the ducting is in a straight line, or close to it. Once you start bending, you're losing suction dramatically.

So depending on your setup, you may need a stronger fan. I would suggest getting it in place and seeing if it will work. It wouldn't be too hard to switch it out if it isn't cutting it.

Good Luck

SmokeS

SmokeS

I think it could work if your only cooling the lights and you AC the whole tent. might want to oversize or add a booster if it gets too hot. I'd run a 1/2hp chill king at the end of the lights to get rid of all that heat. Good luck with your project

N

NorCalGrower

I have a 2000 watt tent. Both lights are cooled nicly with a 450 cfm fan

Top Bottom