Need opinions on a light for seedlings

• Thread starter TSD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TSD

TSD

Ok, so usually I just use a fluorescent shop light to start my seeds... but my circumstances have changed and the space I have available does not accommodate my 4 ft shop light. I have a light that will fit, but I'm worried it may be too much for them. It is a light therapy light box and I will post some pics. It claims 10000 Lux at 24 inches, which is high for seedlings right? Would it be OK if I put it up a bit higher, like 3 feet? Or should I just try to find a fluorescent that will fit in my closet? I'm already behind schedule and my seeds are soaking as I type so need to get this sorted. Thanks for any help. Gonna tag some of y'all in hopes of more attention 😁 @Aqua Man @GNick55 Thanks guys!

Need opinions on a light for seedlings
Need opinions on a light for seedlings 2
Need opinions on a light for seedlings 3
quirk

quirk

That appears to be for people not plants. In that price range and size, I went with a Mars TS1000 to grow young plants. On a side note the Mars did wonders for my depression and mood disorders, if you get my drift.

Day 30
growsince79

growsince79

Ok, so usually I just use a fluorescent shop light to start my seeds... but my circumstances have changed and the space I have available does not accommodate my 4 ft shop light. I have a light that will fit, but I'm worried it may be too much for them. It is a light therapy light box and I will post some pics. It claims 10000 Lux at 24 inches, which is high for seedlings right? Would it be OK if I put it up a bit higher, like 3 feet? Or should I just try to find a fluorescent that will fit in my closet? I'm already behind schedule and my seeds are soaking as I type so need to get this sorted. Thanks for any help. Gonna tag some of y'all in hopes of more attention 😁 @Aqua Man @GNick55 Thanks guys!
LOL rip off. Cheap florescent lights are the best light you can use for seedlings.

TSD

TSD

That appears to be for people not plants. In that price range and size, I went with a Mars TS1000 to grow young plants. On a side note the Mars did wonders for my depression and mood disorders, if you get my drift.
Yeah I know it's for people. I'm just wanting to use it for a week or so until they can go under the grow light, I don't want to fry them. I used that light in addition to my MarsHydro last year once the girls got bigger, they loved it... but on seedlings I've always used fluorescent for about a week because it's so easy to fry seedlings. I guess if I raise that up high enough it's the same difference, the Mars I mean... bud led is so strong for delicate babies.

TSD

TSD

LOL rip off. Cheap florescent lights are the best light you can use for seedlings.
I know... that's what I usually do, but my space does not accommodate the fluorescent I have. I didn't buy that btw, it was given to me, and it actually helps the seasonal affective disorder, I close my eyes and imagine I'm somewhere warm and sunny lol. I'm just wanting to use it for babies then switch to my actual grow light cause I don't wanna burn em... probably just try to find a short fluorescent, but my town is lame lol. Trying to work with what I've got.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Yeah I know it's for people. I'm just wanting to use it for a week or so until they can go under the grow light, I don't want to fry them. I used that light in addition to my MarsHydro last year once the girls got bigger, they loved it... but on seedlings I've always used fluorescent for about a week because it's so easy to fry seedlings. I guess if I raise that up high enough it's the same difference, the Mars I mean... bud led is so strong for delicate babies.
a week? ok than really any light that the plant can sense for day time hours is good enough for a week only!! and keep it high, seedlings shouldn’t stretch if temp is 75.,

TSD

TSD

a week? ok than really any light that the plant can sense for day time hours is good enough for a week only!! and keep it high, seedlings shouldn’t stretch if temp is 75.,
Yeah... it's just scary to use the grow light in a small space for seedlings... I fear they will fry.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Yeah... it's just scary to use the grow light in a small space for seedlings... I fear they will fry.
t5’s come as a single light or as 4 in 2 ft or 4 ft lengths.. great for seedlings also..
if you do put in grow area early than obviously light as high as it goes and maybe put some sort of shading material between seedlings and light for even a few hours a day.. that type of thing also

TSD

TSD

t5’s come as a single light or as 4 in 2 ft or 4 ft lengths.. great for seedlings also..
if you do put in grow area early than obviously light as high as it goes and maybe put some sort of shading material between seedlings and light for even a few hours a day.. that type of thing also
Yeah I was thinking that, I've done that for clones.

Ponky

Ponky

Go to the electrical supply store. Grab a 70 watt HPS. Tiny foot print. Lots of light. 10 bucks.

Blastfact

Blastfact

I use a HLG 100 V2 4000k for seedlings up to two weeks then add another 100 V2 at 30" and start vegging like a machine until late veg and flower are at hand and will go dual 260 Rspec with UV.... We ain't playin... LMFAO!! I need more cheap wine........

growsince79

growsince79

I know... that's what I usually do, but my space does not accommodate the fluorescent I have. I didn't buy that btw, it was given to me, and it actually helps the seasonal affective disorder, I close my eyes and imagine I'm somewhere warm and sunny lol. I'm just wanting to use it for babies then switch to my actual grow light cause I don't wanna burn em... probably just try to find a short fluorescent, but my town is lame lol. Trying to work with what I've got.
Spiral cfl work perfect.

steamroller

steamroller

Biax bulbs are CFLs .
You should be fine with that light, especially with the diffuser still installed .
Remove the diffuser and take pic of the bulbs .

growsince79

growsince79

Go to the electrical supply store. Grab a 70 watt HPS. Tiny foot print. Lots of light. 10 bucks.
Hps is the worst light for seedlings, and those $10 bulbs still need a $40 fixture/ballast. 150w hps for $70 is a much better deal, but they suck for seedlings too.

Ponky

Ponky

Hps is the worst light for seedlings, and those $10 bulbs still need a $40 fixture/ballast. 150w hps for $70 is a much better deal, but they suck for seedlings too.
It's a standard E26 base. Just need 110. No Ballast. Use a ceramic socket. Or spend a few bucks more and get a compact CFL. The HPS isn't the best. Just the cheapest option I can think of.

growsince79

growsince79

It's a standard E26 base. Just need 110. No Ballast. Use a ceramic socket. Or spend a few bucks more and get a compact CFL. The HPS isn't the best. Just the cheapest option I can think of.
Are you sure? My 70w hps E26 needs a ballast. I'm pretty sure they all do. I never even heard of one that didn't.
Post a link to a self ballasted hps

Blastfact

Blastfact

Why not find something like this. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Amazon-TOP-Seller-2019-50W-COB_62191106648.html

I bought two of these for $4.00 each in 2019 and next day Amazon Prime shipping. Yeah there burbles. But both of mine pull 52 watts when warm on the Kill-A-Watt and far better than any,,, and I mean any florescent or CFL. I took the plastic protector off for the cheapy cob and put real thermal transfer paste between the back of the knock off cob and the back metal housing of the light. I've used them for seedlings, 1 gal and coffee cup challenge grows and even side lighting. I still have them and will use them at the drop of a hat if needed. The light is awful but they work! They will keep your seedlings short with no stretch issues, wont burn and will last for years if you remove a tad of the cheap china from them.

IMG 6067

Top Bottom