Need opinions on a light for seedlings

• Thread starter TSD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Edinburgh

Edinburgh

1 week old seedlings 30 Inc under light a 600w 2 cycle reflector, you can tell there all happy bc there reaching for the light not shying away or burning. This is the time u start light lst-ing by bending them back and forth a few times a day there stem will harden faster. There autos you do not transplant but put in pot u intend to do your whole run in. Pic 1&2 4 assed monkey Pic 3 crystal candy or cream carmel not shure bc seeds were in same vial.

20220320 184922
20220320 184946
20220320 184937
TSD

TSD

1 week old seedlings 30 Inc under light a 600w 2 cycle reflector, you can tell there all happy bc there reaching for the light not shying away or burning. This is the time u start light lst-ing by bending them back and forth a few times a day there stem will harden faster. There autos you do not transplant but put in pot u intend to do your whole run in. Pic 1&2 4 assed monkey Pic 3 crystal candy or cream carmel not shure bc seeds were in same vial

1 week old seedlings 30 Inc under light a 600w 2 cycle reflector, you can tell there all happy bc there reaching for the light not shying away or burning. This is the time u start light lst-ing by bending them back and forth a few times a day there stem will harden faster. There autos you do not transplant but put in pot u intend to do your whole run in. Pic 1&2 4 assed monkey Pic 3 crystal candy or cream carmel not shure bc seeds were in same vial.
Thanks, not my first rodeo, I just have to change it up a bit for my new space. They will only be inside for a couple months, I do outdoor. I have a variety of lights, I've just always used a basic fluorescent shop light to start my seeds... but it's 4 ft long and the closet I'm using is like 3 and a half by 2 wide, painted gloss white on the inside... just really don't want to fry seeds that I paid for, so I figured I'd ask the forum. They're not popped yet, just soaking and preparing to go in soil so I have probably a day or so more day to finish my space. I have the Lux app, so I'll hang what I have and get a measurement to get a ballpark. If it's in the death zone I'll try to find some CFL bulbs and rig something till they're strong enough for the LEDs. I always have a fan to strengthen the stem as soon as they have a solid root. I start LST a few weeks in usually.

TSD

TSD

They need a ballast.
Yeah I can't do hps in a tiny space, too hot and I don't have a proper exhaust, I just make sure they get plenty of air during the day and lock them in the dark w thier tiny fan at lights out lol... this is just my start spot till gardening weather, so it doesn't need to be fancy.

TSD

TSD

Biax bulbs are CFLs .
You should be fine with that light, especially with the diffuser still installed .
Remove the diffuser and take pic of the bulbs .
Thank you, that was the answer I was looking for... Glad I took the diffuser off, there was no shortage of ladybug corpses in there lol.

20220321 090052
20220321 090105
20220321 090123
steamroller

steamroller

Good deal .
Those are a little more powerful then the average fluorescent, but should not be a problem .
Corallife [ energy savers way back] used those in a lot of their marine aquarium lights before LEDS .
Those reflectors are very nice !
Looks cool white 4000k .
I see it said 4100k , close enough by eye .

TSD

TSD

Good deal .
Those are a little more powerful then the average fluorescent, but should not be a problem .
Corallife [ energy savers way back] used those in a lot of their marine aquarium lights before LEDS .
Those reflectors are very nice !
Looks cool white 4000k .
I see it said 4100k , close enough by eye .
The Lux app says it's around 6500 where I have it right now, with the diffuser back on, so I'll probably raise it a bit more for the first little while, then when they are ready, I'll hang my Mars and maybe use this one for some side lighting once they start to get bushy. Hope to have them in the ground by mid May. I went a little overboard last year and had to use every light I own lol, but the ladies seemed to like both main lights equally, then again I rotated them just in case.

TSD

TSD

Plain little CFL fluorescent bulbs are perfect.
You'd be surprised how hard they are to come by now that everything is moving towards LED... I almost bought a pack, 20 bucks for 3 of em, but decided to just go w that mood light to start, since they are indeed fluorescent bulbs... just super intense ones lol.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Yeah, I just don't want to buy more stuff if I can work with what I have, which I think I'm good with what I went with.

For seedlings? definitely. They don't need much :)

Top Bottom