Need recommendations for LED and tent

• Thread starter SchwiftyGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lockebox

Lockebox

Sorry I missed this. I have 2 of the SF2000s. I run them with a Mars Hydro SP3000 in a 5x5 tent. I am about to switch a Horticulture Lighting Group kit with the Mars Hydro. (https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/collections/kits/products/320w-xl-qb-v2-led-kit) and put the Mars SF3000 in a 2x4 to run a couple Blue Gelato 41 from Barney's Farm. I ran two of the SF2000s in a 4x4 for my first run. It was fine. Not sure if it's quite enough for a 3x3 space but it should be fine.
HLG is running a really good sale and this light kit (https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/collections/kits/products/260w-qb-v2-rspec-led-kit) would be perfect for your space and with the sale price, might be comparable to the Spider Farmer light with a little more wattage. I have 2 of the same kits but in the larger side heat sink that I used in my 4x4 now.
I've got the hlg 260 v2 rspec kit in my 2x4 and it kicks ass 👍

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I've got the hlg 260 v2 rspec kit in my 2x4 and it kicks ass 👍
Let's go back to the 30watt per foot square standard for determining lighting needs. In the example that @Lockebox is using with his 2 x 4 we have 8 ft square. Multiplied by 30 will give you 240w for your light needs. In the situation with the HLG 260 v2 rspec, it has just a bit more power than needed to adequately light the 2 x 4 space. The OP has done pretty well matching the grow light to lighting needs. Likewise 2 SF2000 would light a 4 x 4 space. It would probably do well but the extra 60 watts offered per light by the HLG 260rspec could lead to increased yield. A grower would probably want 2 of the HLG lights to fill a 4 x 4 space though.

In a 4 x 4 you're looking at 480w of total light needs to hit the 30w per ft sq target. Some of these manufacturers are stating their lights cover more than they really do. Don't fall for this.

The 30w per ft sq rule makes it much easier to know exactly how much light you need for your space.

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Let's go back to the 30watt per foot square standard for determining lighting needs. In the example that @Lockebox is using with his 2 x 4 we have 8 ft square. Multiplied by 30 will give you 240w for your light needs. In the situation with the HLG 260 v2 rspec, it has just a bit more power than needed to adequately light the 2 x 4 space. The OP has done pretty well matching the grow light to lighting needs. Likewise 2 SF2000 would light a 4 x 4 space. It would probably do well but the extra 60 watts offered per light by the HLG 260rspec could lead to increased yield. A grower would probably want 2 of the HLG lights to fill a 4 x 4 space though.

In a 4 x 4 you're looking at 480w of total light needs to hit the 30w per ft sq target. Some of these manufacturers are stating their lights cover more than they really do. Don't fall for this.

The 30w per ft sq rule makes it much easier to know exactly how much light you need for your space.
Thank you!!! This helps more than you know!

Blastfact

Blastfact

I'm running dual HLG 260 Rspec w/uva in my 3 x 3 and getting ready to upgrade them to Diablo Boards and drivers and put them in my 2 x 4 with a end x end configuration. Then put the dual 350r w/uva in the 3 x 3. Then wait for the next gen HLG and do it all again. :)

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I'm running dual HLG 260 Rspec w/uva in my 3 x 3 and getting ready to upgrade them to Diablo Boards and drivers and put them in my 2 x 4 with a end x end configuration. Then put the dual 350r w/uva in the 3 x 3. Then wait for the next gen HLG and do it all again. :)
That is way more light than needed in a 3 x 3. While you may indeed be running that kind of power, please don't try to suggest that a new grower needs that much light. It's over-kill and the potential for a new grower to fry their plants is too great.

growsince79

growsince79

LMFAO!!!! OOOOOO,,,, 😂🤣😂🤣,,, Had to catch my breath,,,, thanks for the laugh...
Whats so funny about too much light? I don't get it. Maybe you should turn your light to 100% @ 4" and show us what you say is true.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

100% BS.

@SchwiftyGrower don't pay attention to him. He'll lead you down the wrong path. You don't need 520w in a 3 x 3. In fact, when speaking of high end LED grow lights like the ones that are currently being sold that 30w per square foot recommendation has a bit of extra light built into the equation. If you add CO2, you can boost light intensity ... but you won't be boosting it near 100%. 520w/9 = 57.78 watts per square foot. I guess you could run that much with a 36" space between the lights and the canopy, but why ... it's wasteful. All the extra electricity spent on the lighting and then even more to cool it because its way too hot in the space to keep plants happy.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I currently have 2 of the HLG RSPEC 260 XL kits in my 4x4 and it is PERFECT. Exactly right amount of light.
I won't argue with you there. It's only slightly more light than required and the extra you have is enough for some flexibility and that can be nice to have. A 4 x 4 has 7 square foot more than a 3 x 3 ... it's close to double the amount of space. It's not really an equal comparison.

pilto

pilto

I won't argue with you there. It's only slightly more light than required and the extra you have is enough for some flexibility and that can be nice to have. A 4 x 4 has 7 square foot more than a 3 x 3 ... it's close to double the amount of space. It's not really an equal comparison.
I suggested that the OP get a single HLG RSPEC for his 3x3 in my comment.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I suggested that the OP get a single HLG RSPEC for his 3x3 in my comment.
You're not the poster that was suggesting 520w in a 3 x 3 either. Everything you've posted is sound ... has logic ... A single 260w HLG Rspec would work just fine in a 3 x 3. It's a very good light ... there's been nothing wrong with the suggestions you've made.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I retrofitted my space for a 5x3x8. What would you recommend around for around $400-$500 range?
Two 260w Rspecs would work well in 15 sq ft of space ... although I don't know about fitting your budget with HLG. Fortunately there's many options that would fit. My preference is bar lighting. Better spread with less heat. You'll want at least 450 watts of quality lighting but 520 watts isn't out to lunch.

Last edited:
Blastfact

Blastfact

100% BS.

@SchwiftyGrower don't pay attention to him. He'll lead you down the wrong path. You don't need 520w in a 3 x 3. In fact, when speaking of high end LED grow lights like the ones that are currently being sold that 30w per square foot recommendation has a bit of extra light built into the equation. If you add CO2, you can boost light intensity ... but you won't be boosting it near 100%. 520w/9 = 57.78 watts per square foot. I guess you could run that much with a 36" space between the lights and the canopy, but why ... it's wasteful. All the extra electricity spent on the lighting and then even more to cool it because its way too hot in the space to keep plant

You're not the poster that was suggesting 520w in a 3 x 3 either. Everything you've posted is sound ... has logic ... A single 260w HLG Rspec would work just fine in a 3 x 3. It's a very good light ... there's been nothing wrong with the suggestions you've made.
OK now it's time to take issue with you. I never suggested high power. That is your take on it. I never suggested it. It's what I do and how I do it. It gives me control to help with temps summer and winter. I never have to tax my lights at all. I never have issues controlling environment. I never have to use Aux heating or cooling. And I always have near perfect ppfd across the canopy front to back, side to side and corner to corner. Every square foot of the tent is viable grow space if I chose to use it. I know exactly how much power my lights are consuming in watts and amps. There is nothing wasteful about how there ran. I have NEVER told a new grower to go high power.... So you best check yourself from on Grandpa to another. I would no more tell a new grower to go high power than a new motorcycle rider to go get that 200 hp Super Bike to learn on. But in your world is that what I'm saying to a new rider because I have a 250 hp Super Bike or $30k Goldwing? WTF is wrong with you?

Top Bottom