Need recommendations for LED and tent

• Thread starter SchwiftyGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

OK now it's time to take issue with you. I never suggested high power. That is your take on it. I never suggested it. It's what I do and how I do it. It gives me control to help with temps summer and winter. I never have to tax my lights at all. I never have issues controlling environment. I never have to use Aux heating or cooling. And I always have near perfect ppfd across the canopy front to back, side to side and corner to corner. Every square foot of the tent is viable grow space if I chose to use it. I know exactly how much power my lights are consuming in watts and amps. There is nothing wasteful about how there ran. I have NEVER told a new grower to go high power.... So you best check yourself from on Grandpa to another. I would no more tell a new grower to go high power than a new motorcycle rider to go get that 200 hp Super Bike to learn on. But in your world is that what I'm saying to a new rider because I have a 250 hp Super Bike or $30k Goldwing? WTF is wrong with you?
Ah, but you did just that ... dual 260w rspecs? The OP is asking what he should do and you're suggesting that a single 260w board is underpowered in a 3 x 3. That's not so. It would fit pretty well.

Have issue with me all you want ... maybe it's the way you posted it. You can certainly have too much light with current LEDs. Your words above said you couldn't. If you meant something different than that. Clarify it. Otherwise, yes you can give your plants too much light and 520w would be too much light in a 3 x 3. In a 3 x 5 it's a pretty good fit.

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
I know some of y’all are against Mars, but I think this is the only one I can get that’s within my price range. I’m in Mexico so import fees are insane. Every name brand LED, is through the roof unless I want to buy a cheap off brand version from Alibaba

116A14C1 8596 4FFB A7A8 CC92B15D5CF7
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I know some of y’all are against Mars, but I think this is the only one I can get that’s within my price range. I’m in Mexico so import fees are insane. Every name brand LED, is through the roof unless I want to buy a cheap off brand version from Alibaba
How about this: https://www.amazon.com/Phlizon-Coverage-Spectrum-Dimmable-1728pcs/dp/B08S6RQF63?ref_=ast_sto_dp

or

This:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08SPXD8JX/ref=twister_B0B6Z478K9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 (I guess you have to toggle between the lights on Amazon)

Edit: I don't know much about Phlizon lights, but they are a sponsor on THCFarmer so getting help with issues might not really be much of an issue at all.

Last edited:
SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
How about this: https://www.amazon.com/Phlizon-Coverage-Spectrum-Dimmable-1728pcs/dp/B08S6RQF63?ref_=ast_sto_dp

or

This: https://www.amazon.com/Phlizon-Coverage-Spectrum-Dimmable-1728pcs/dp/B08S6RQF63?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Edit: I don't know much about Phlizon lights, but they are a sponsor on THCFarmer so getting help with issues might not really be much of an issue at all.
HELLLLL YEAH!!!! That one is great price with cheaper import fees! I think we may have found the winner!!

Edit:
What is the second option? Both links send me to the same light

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I believe what the other poster was suggesting now is if you buy more light than you need, you can upgrade to a larger space without upgrading your lights. In your case, the FD6500 light would fit that. Otherwise if there's no chance you upgrade your space, then the FD4500 would be fine.

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
I believe what the other poster was suggesting now is if you buy more light than you need, you can upgrade to a larger space without upgrading your lights. In your case, the FD6500 light would fit that. Otherwise if there's no chance you upgrade your space, then the FD4500 would be fine.
I have the option to make the room itself an all around grow room, but I don’t see myself using all of the space. I only have a permit to grow 6 plants at once and I’ll only be flowering 4 at a time with 2 mothers

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I have the option to make the room itself an all around grow room, but I don’t see myself using all of the space. I only have a permit to grow 6 plants at once and I’ll only be flowering 4 at a time with 2 mothers
Can you tweak that space out to 4' x 5'? If you can, get the larger light. Four flowering plants will be happier with the extra room. Otherwise, you'll have to flip them fairly small to give all 4 room.

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Can you tweak that space out to 4' x 5'? If you can, get the larger light. Four flowering plants will be happier with the extra room. Otherwise, you'll have to flip them fairly small to give all 4 room.
Yup it shouldn’t be an issue, will just take a little extra liner and add an extra foot but I should be able to make it work. I’d like to get 4 plants about the size I’m growing right now

3AE3852F 1832 453C A83E 0862FE32DFD8
SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Thank you @MIGrampaUSA and everyone for their help and insight on everything. This has been a huge help and I feel more confident in my purchase now!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Yup it shouldn’t be an issue, will just take a little extra liner and add an extra foot but I should be able to make it work. I’d like to get 4 plants about the size I’m growing right now
You'd probably be fine with the 3 x 5 at that size. I grow mine from seeds and they finish a little larger both in diameter and in heights. I was running 4-5 flowering plants in a 5 x 5. I've upgraded tent size since then.

pilto

pilto

I have a Mars Hydro SP3000 that I am putting in my 2x4 over 3 Blue Gelato 41's from Barney's Farm. I have no problem with Mars Hydro!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I have a Mars Hydro SP3000 that I am putting in my 2x4 over 3 Blue Gelato 41's from Barney's Farm. I have no problem with Mars Hydro!
Mars used to be a sponsor on this site. There are lots of people here who have them. Most of those have been set aside to either being veg lights or are gathering dust on a shelf. The most common issue people have had is getting problems resolved when the lights not working and the product is still under warranty.

I hope you never have problems with yours.

Greenjourneyman

Greenjourneyman

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it,
but I would seriously recommend a first tent be a 3 chamber one. You can get all life stages going at once,

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I don’t know if anyone has mentioned it,
but I would seriously recommend a first tent be a 3 chamber one. You can get all life stages going at once,
I use 3 different tents. I had one of those 3 in 1. Mine was a vivosun. I didn't like it. The divider between the chambers didn't seal well so there was always a lot of light leaks. I never did use it for anything more than a flower tent.

If you have one in mind that light leakage isn't a problem with, then of course I would feel differently.

Lockebox

Lockebox

I use 3 different tents. I had one of those 3 in 1. Mine was a vivosun. I didn't like it. The divider between the chambers didn't seal well so there was always a lot of light leaks. I never did use it for anything more than a flower tent.

If you have one in mind that light leakage isn't a problem with, then of course I would feel differently.
My 2x4 tent is vivo Sun and it's got a few more light leaks than I would like...

Nothing major and hasn't caused any issues but light pokes through the threads here and there

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

My 2x4 tent is vivo Sun and it's got a few more light leaks than I would like...

Nothing major and hasn't caused any issues but light pokes through the threads here and there
That sums up a lot of the cheaper tents I've tried. Light leaks through the threads and/or the dreaded low quality zipper. If your tent is in an area where lights never come on (like a basement) a cheaper tent will work. If your tent is in the living room, those light leaks might not work.

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
Found a place I can get this shipped pretty fast to me. How’d this one versus getting 2? I think this may be good for now and in the future when I want to expand

714CB303 E1E2 49CD 9EA4 FBEB5EE0FDC6
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Found a place I can get this shipped pretty fast to me. How’d this one versus getting 2? I think this may be good for now and in the future when I want to expand
There's no question HLG makes a good light. It's still not cheap even refurbished though. $600 stretches your budget too. You'll love the light but I'm not sure it's the best move. I struggle with the idea of $600 for a used quantum board even if its an HLG.

Here's the thing. Pretty much all grow lights will grow plants. What are the dimensions of that board? Length and width. The LEDs are surface mounted and are pointed straight down. Yes, there's 120 degree lens but the intensity is straight down. I find that especially with the larger boards 450w and up, they are too hot in the middle. In a space significantly larger than the light, one large light doesn't completely penetrate the edge of your garden. Almost always, 2 lights will work better for you than one. Anyway, the RSPEC is a fantastic light, but is it the right light for your space? That part is up to you to decide based on your personal setup.

My preference are bar lights. I ran quantum boards last year for a couple of grows because one of the lights was a gift from our sponsors. I'm sticking with my ROI-E720 going forward. It just works better for me for a lot of reasons starting with a pretty evenly distributed lighting, covers a whole 5 x 5 in flower, does not need much overhead space, and I can bring my light down very close to the plants.

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
There's no question HLG makes a good light. It's still not cheap even refurbished though. $600 stretches your budget too. You'll love the light but I'm not sure it's the best move. I struggle with the idea of $600 for a used quantum board even if its an HLG.

Here's the thing. Pretty much all grow lights will grow plants. What are the dimensions of that board? Length and width. The LEDs are surface mounted and are pointed straight down. Yes, there's 120 degree lens but the intensity is straight down. I find that especially with the larger boards 450w and up, they are too hot in the middle. In a space significantly larger than the light, one large light doesn't completely penetrate the edge of your garden. Almost always, 2 lights will work better for you than one. Anyway, the RSPEC is a fantastic light, but is it the right light for your space? That part is up to you to decide based on your personal setup.

My preference are bar lights. I ran quantum boards last year for a couple of grows because one of the lights was a gift from our sponsors. I'm sticking with my ROI-E720 going forward. It just works better for me for a lot of reasons starting with a pretty evenly distributed lighting, covers a whole 5 x 5 in flower, does not need much overhead space, and I can bring my light down very close to the plants.
Your advice is always golden!! You are 100% right and after I looked at shipping, I don’t think it’s a better fit than your previous suggestion. I think I’ll get the one you mentioned, the price and shipping plus with what I need for the space I think it’s a perfect fit.

Thanks again! You are a great voice of reason

WeedIsMySpinach

WeedIsMySpinach

@SchwiftyGrower i have a discount code for Phlizon lights..

They’re good and also cheap with good PPFD.

DM If u want it…..

Top Bottom