Need some Help and Guidance for my new babies

• Thread starter JohnC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JohnC

JohnC

Good evening all my new friends! First time grower who started just to try it and now would like to get serious. I started my seedlings several weeks ago outside and then broke down and bought a metal halide and converted my small closet into a grow room. I have a small fan and and humidifier that keeps it between 50-65% humidity pretty consistently. I planted the seeds in miracle grow potting mix which I see might have been my biggest rookie mistake. They have been under 18 hours now for almost two weeks now. We almost lost one during the transfer from the small cup I started with but it is still holding on. The two that started out the fastest have both developed yellow leaves that look almost burned on the tips of them. The last two are very happy despite accidentally dropping two seeds in one of my starters.
I have sooo many questions and no one to answer them.
What could be causing my yellow burning on the leaves(I planted them I pots that have a little watering trough on the bottom and have been putting water in every day and every day it is dry by same time next day)
How close should my light be
What fertilizer should I be using now if any
Why do some of their stems seem so thin
Any other guidance would be welcome and appreciated.

Need some help and guidance for my new babies
Need some help and guidance for my new babies 2
Need some help and guidance for my new babies 3
Need some help and guidance for my new babies 4
Need some help and guidance for my new babies 5
Need some help and guidance for my new babies 6
Need some help and guidance for my new babies 7
JohnC

JohnC

It could possibly be the miracle grow soil, it contains timed release nutrients.. You should also post the distance of your lights now, I am sure some the MH guys can give you some guidance there.
Gotcha. The lights were approx 18-22 inches away. I have since moved the 2 burned ones a little further away from the light for the past 2 days and they have not gotten better or worse

Madhatter1971

Madhatter1971

Miracle Grow soil or potting mix? Is it the organic MG or standard time release?

Madhatter1971

Madhatter1971

Everyone has an opinion on the MG. Most pretty harsh, The MG yellow bag is high in Nitrogen and depending on how much water you run through can leave a lot of the stuff still in during bloom. That being said if you keep plant going about 4 to 6 weeks in a pot that size and flush a lil xtra water through then let plant get dry. It will not be an issue.

Madhatter1971

Madhatter1971

Looks like light burn to me. I run CMH for veg and have a 630DE in bloom between two thousand watt hps for spectrum at that size 24 to 30 inches and let the plant grow up to your light. If plant seems to stretch toward light bring it down gradually. You might want to try a 105 watt 6500 k cfl off Amazon two for 24$ or something like that. For photography. Works great up to about 10 or 12 inches of plant. Then switch to your CMH and start 24 and adjust from there

jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
Looks like light burn to me. I run CMH for veg and have a 630DE in bloom between two thousand watt hps for spectrum at that size 24 to 30 inches and let the plant grow up to your light. If plant seems to stretch toward light bring it down gradually. You might want to try a 105 watt 6500 k cfl off Amazon two for 24$ or something like that. For photography. Works great up to about 10 or 12 inches of plant. Then switch to your CMH and start 24 and adjust from there
leaves do look crispy.. I think some better pics would tell the story.

Madbud

Madbud

The trough is dry but you need the soil to dry, wait an extra day or two. Dry wilt good, wet wilt bad.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Bro its the miricle grow, bc miricle grow adds food to there mix evertime you water you feed overwhelming your seedlings, they allso put sodium (salt) in your mix, miricle grow is not suited for cannabis, i recommend fox farms ocean forest just add pearlite for airation and clay for good drainage, i use it exclusively.

20200215 193610
JohnC

JohnC

Bro its the miricle grow, bc miricle grow adds food to there mix evertime you water you feed overwhelming your seedlings, they allso put sodium (salt) in your mix, miricle grow is not suited for cannabis, i recommend fox farms ocean forest just add pearlite for airation and clay for good drainage, i use it exclusively.
Heard, so just water minimally? Try and replant?

Madbud

Madbud

Miraclegro is miraclegro, all kinds of plants grow really well in it, even cannabis just not the way you want it to. You gotta let the soil dry, try working a probe around the edge to aerate and be patient. The plant will tell you when its thirsty again.

jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
Miraclegro is miraclegro, all kinds of plants grow really well in it, even cannabis just not the way you want it to. You gotta let the soil dry, try working a probe around the edge to aerate and be patient. The plant will tell you when its thirsty again.

Yeaaaa I’d be willing to bet you would see a turn around if you got your water timing corrected.

The brown growth on your perlite is a sign of overwatering.

Last edited:
JohnC

JohnC

Pics any better?

920B2838 9989 4970 95F0 395588B8C800
F00DB04D 7D9F 4EA2 B9C2 589BB7101FAA
jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
yea youre drowning her...an easy little trick...stick your finger in the soil before you water, the top half should be totally dry before you water again.

also are those plant spa pots???? Where they feed the roots water from underneath? Do not leave your runoff in the dish.

JohnC

JohnC

Yeaaaa I’d be willing to bet you would see a turn around if you got your water timing corrected.

The brown growth on your perlite is a sign of overwatering.
yea youre drowning her...an easy little trick...stick your finger in the soil before you water, the top half should be totally dry before you water again.

also are those plant spa pots???? Where they feed the roots water from underneath? Do not leave your runoff in the dish.

yes spa pots. Not recommended? I had been filling them daily and they were dry again every day when I got home so I fill it again, duh! Lesson learned!!! I knew overwatering was the biggest rookie mistake and still did it anyway.
[/QUO

Jesshaslostit

Jesshaslostit

Miracle grow soil isn’t the best that is probably your issue. Also if it’s been a few days and your soil is wet that’s not good. Marijuana need the soil to dry between waterings for the roots to grow. Try watering once every three days. The soil shouldn’t be wet still. I would get them out of that and into something better. Fox farms ocean Forrest is good for beginners. I add extra vermiculite so it will dry faster and the roots get better oxygen. As for the light I use led so I got nothing on that sorry. Best of luck!

jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
I wouldnt say that, I would just make sure to not leave water in that reservoir after watering. If you have run off dump it.I like the bags better tbh... I do think they are interesting if you are going to repot though, just of because the way my roots grew out.

Roots
Edinburgh

Edinburgh

My rh is so low i have to water dayley, but only very lighley, every 4 days i give a proper watering, you would think the plant would be messed up, i dont know plant is healthy at 33 days a female starting to flower, but it has been so dry i consider it at least a week behind, allso plants leaves all have five nodes and branches are growing very slowly, i used a 5gal pot so its definitely behind, but autos do not keel over and die at day 70, so until we can get some humidity i just do what i do and let her do what she wants, here is pic

Top Bottom