Need some life advice on growing...

• Thread starter jimbobthe3rd
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tank333

Tank333

PB&J's at work every day for 3 months. Just finished setting up our 3kw flower room. Man, the satisfaction of looking in there and seeing all 25 of those bitches and knowing its all ours was worth every soggy bite.

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

No partners.

And I hate to tell ya...but life is long...and making even a large sum is gonna only take you through a short time when kids and homes and real >>>>>responsibility<<<<<< comes into play. RENTING someone else's house to grow in is a different story than owning the house yerself....especially if you are in a non-med state (and you must be if there's any REAL money left in this game for you)

I don't laugh all that much thes days...but I DO laugh everythime I hear a 20-30-40-50 year old taking abou growin enough to never have to work a real job.

And who is paying to retain the attorney? Bes' get on that one either way.....

stay small....get a real job and do this on the side. If you are gonna have a fam it's time to grow up....

Been there, done that.......was STILL broke and didn't sleep for years....

s h

Yep, what Sky High says. Fly under the radar bro. You're talking about 72 lights man. What kind of electric bill and FLIR footprint are you trying to broadcast. Plus that's way over 99.

Never gamble more than you can afford to lose bro. Considering the certainty of asset forfeiture on a bust, you'll lose your new house and maybe your girl. That shit is way too risky. Just dumb.

budfriend

budfriend

open all those credit cards with 0% for one year you get in the mail. Buy everything you can with that and use the cash for the grow. It should give you an extra 5-10 k

Are you in norcal where you can run all that power out of a house?? Only place i would do that much unless you steal it but thats a whole nother risk

ttystikk

ttystikk

Start small, and keep your plant count low. Nothing is worth risking oyur home for, nevermind your child.

No partners also means not telling anyone about your grow, or even that you ever have... Never know when someone looking for a 'quick score' might want to follow you home just to see what might be goin' on... and then come back with their buddies, some ski masks and guns.

I survived riding a motorcycle for one reason and one reason only; I rode like everyone was out to get me- and it saved my ass. This business isn't yet safe or legal and it's time to start thinking paranoid...

Want an example? Now that you've had this conversation with the guy who wants to be your partner, if I were you, I'd tell him that you decided that it was too great a risk, you got a job and aren't gonna grow at all. Then, get all your gear somewhere else.

Reactions: mal
S

Smok3y

Don't do it with the guy. Obviously if hes the type to screw you over you simply can't trust him. I would only do a grow with someone I can trust and I know they won't ever screw me over or take advantage of me which this guy is doing. You might have a slow start up but its less headache when your doing it solo

ftwendy

ftwendy

Both sides of the partnership are incredibly stressful positions to find oneself in. It simply is not worth the risk to lend a massive chunk of cash, or invest months of work into a project as risky as a 72 light grow (med state or not). The cash return on a massive partnership sounds huge initially, but thats while you're on the outside looking in, and this doesn't take into account the price of your stress: working, problem solving, losing sleep, waiting for money, greed, and even boredom.

Man... when you work alone, there's nobody to be upset with, nobody to measure yourself against except your former self. And that is the only person you should ever measure yourself against. Also, the satisfaction of completing your goal alone is worth more than the dollars you might collect from any partnership. If you really trust this guy, hire him when you want a vacation next year... :) Stay safe, Ftw

ftwendy

ftwendy

I'm kidding about hiring the investor/store owner while you vacation, btw.... I think most agree that he's not on your side in the long run, and he represents long-term commitment to a liability to you cannot control. The simple fact is that he is not a hard working grower like yourself; he's a merchant (for now), and since becoming one, he has begun to get used to things making money all by themselves. Keep sweating alone, under the radar (ie: keeping your electric bill less than $1k monthly, and thats if ur rural), unencumbered by the laziness and greed of someone used to money popping out of thin air. Create. Alone.

If I were in your position, I would find ways to make a sacrifice in quality of life for a short time while you save money to reinvest on a smaller scale rather than splitting your efforts with anyone other than your loved ones.

Heed the advice of the long post earlier: your immediate need is to work on getting better efficiency out of your efforts; improve your enviro first, then seek out a sat/ind hybrid with lotsa vigor and stretch. The point made earlier about not being paid to veg cannot be overemphasized... you want BIG plants FAST. Rockwool with salt ferts has always brought me the greatest flexibility and ease of use, while providing ridiculously fast growth. The best advice I can give for rockwool is to let it dry considerably between applications of water or nuts... when the plant drinks enough so that it approaches 30-40% of the cube's original saturated weight, it means it's time to water. Otherwise, wait. This simple rule, if stuck to like religion, will make a huge difference in accelerating your veg growth rates. Also, adding new root space every ~3 weeks will ensure vigorous, healthy roots. I like placing my rooted clone cubes into 6" maxi cubes then onto 3"x6"x3' slab cut in half around day 30 of veg...lots of horizontal root space below that maxi cube really packs on the weight in flower. Just be sure not to water too soon after transplanting, at any step of the process!

Instead of moving plants in and out of a tent manually, maybe consider a flipbox or another relay system to run two flowering rooms concurrently (two separate rooms, two sets of bulbs: one room is light while the other is dark, ballasts run constantly). That would shorten your time until return on investment and would allow you to double your yield without having to lay out a ton more cash. Just build a room and ventilate - if you do a bare bulb vertical garden you could save even more.

And finally, I'm not sure your goal of accumulating enough of a nest egg in the next 2-3 years to last the next 10-20 years is attainable, either. Storing and protecting that kind of cash is a pain. Think about gathering enough cash by growing to create a bridge into the next phase of your life: save for education, capital/money maker machine, start-up for a new business, etc. Hell, if you work hard and efficient for a year or two with what you have (saving like a miser), you could open a hydro store yourself. The big distributors want $50-70k cash, and you'll get double that in merchandise for opening day. Have you thought of teaching grow classes to raise capital, too? You can do that now (possibly through the investor's grow store, tho you're breeding competition), and that's cash out of thin air...

I sincerely hope you continue to work for yourself. Based on where you are in life, and how fast you got there, you have little to worry about except managing your ambition. Cheers, Ftw

mikeb437

mikeb437

Don't risk it bro,, it would never be worth it if things go bad.. life isn't easy!!! So don't try to take the easy way or you will get burned!!

G

genEric

Tighten up your belt, cut all expenses, and tough it out alone.

Bringing in a partner that you're not sure of (and you're not or you wouldn't be here asking...) is just asking for trouble.

I'm older than dirt and in my lifetime I have had exactly TWO business partners that didn't stick it in me and break it off just to make sure.

Go it alone and best of luck to you and your family!

Peace,

-genEric

norcal215

norcal215

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
i agree man it happens all to much, its like having a room mate is the fastest way to destroy a friendship, peoples attitudes change when they see nuggetry try to do it all on your dime

st0ne

st0ne

Thanks everyone.

I consider myself a writer. My grandmother once told me to keep a journal, "because when you get old, you forget the intricacies of your thoughts when you were young."
As a child I led a sheltered life, and yet upon hearing stories of travel by my father I aspired to do the same. Innocence was something I set out to kill, and I consider myself successful. I have seen poverty, suffering, exploitation, death even, and yet; I have also experienced unimaginable beauty.

While I have always been leery of posting my thoughts, I am grateful for the positive feedback. We live in volatile times, and I feel blessed to be apart of a community of like minded thinkers. Here is an updated composition of the above, I hope you enjoy it.

Ever have the thought of checking yourself into an insane asylum?
I once read that many who do aren't insane at all, yet are simply unable to cope with reality.
Brilliant, yet perhaps they delve too deep. Unable to return to the role of a functioning member of society.

I often go days without leaving my house, and when I do it is a surreal experience. Hyper aware, yet with an autistic nowhere stare. Smiling and laughing at inappropriate moments. Talking to myself. Paranoid. Seeing beyond the fabric of everyday life, and with it the system for what it really is.

Standing in a lineup at the bank, I absorb the scene from my peripheral vision. The lowly midget who sells crack for a living. The ethnic minority. The pretty girl who notices me, yet pretends not to. Meanwhile behind my groomed appearance and wild eyes, I think of the Rothschilds and their banking dynasty dating back two hundred and fifty years. Yes, lets deposit our hard earned money; allowing them to loan it back to us ten fold with interest. Fractional reserve banking; a complicated scheme of slavery where the few gain from the masses. Brilliant, and yet I wonder if the others see beyond the clean decor and passive music. Do the tellers with their 9 to 5 jobs? Do the patrons who are simply trying to get by?

Somehow I doubt it, and yet, that is the purpose.
To keep us preoccupied, so we don't ask questions like:

Why am I depressed?
Why is it so hard to survive?
Why does the economy fluctuate like the wind, rendering lifetimes of work invalid?
Why is our environment fucked?
Why do thirty thousand children die from hunger a day, while others cruise around on four hundred million dollar yachts?
Why do we aspire for such?
Why is there rampant violence and crime?
Why doesn't our education system foster individual creativity, wisdom, and growth?
Why do we hold so tightly to segregated classes, races, and religions, when we are all one?
Why are our central bank/corporate sponsored governments trying to control the entire world? Destroying democratic nations and murdering hundreds of thousands of men, women and children, only to impose fascist dictatorships and rape countries of it's resources.

Our resources?

.. oh, because they want what we have, because that's the way it's always been, because they're poor, or they're brown, or they're Muslims! Terrorists!
Who's the terrorist? Have a look. History is an open book, yet propaganda is rife.

I recently watched a documentary of a futurist named Jacque Fresco who tore into our society, stating that we are disgustingly primitive in development.
A society of barbarians that act solely for profit and power.

We have a long way to go,
and yet, I believe in a better world.

Matt SMall Recognition 1

st0ne

st0ne

After Thailand I went into a depression lasting for over two months. Days spent in my underwear; drunk, watching videos of Nicole Scherzinger on repeat.
The memory of beautiful beaches, yachts, gorgeous women, and the freedom of cruising along pristine coastlines on a motorcycle was too much to forget.

It's all brilliant in hindsight, and yet at the time I felt as if my life had suddenly died.

I am all for treating women with respect, and yet, somewhere along the way western women lost seduction and sensuality.
They became men. Equal; opinionated and domineering.

I believe sexes are different; I recently watched a show on Indonesia which believes there are five.
The male, the female, feminine male, the masculine female, and the hermaphrodite which they believe the perfect balance between.

I believe a relationship shouldn't be a business contract, yet should be passionate. There is beauty in a woman's role, as is there beauty in a mans role.
Hell, I'd be content in playing the housewife; if only I found attraction.

I see many women who crave a man, and yet;
they forgot how to be a woman.

Why would I settle for a fat North American bitch, when I could have a Ukrainian supermodel? A Venezuelan, a Filipino, or a Thai girl who feeds me and treats me like a king?
I'll treat her like my queen, yet I'll fucking die before I become a slave to some domineering overweight bitch.

Meow.

SolMannaFest

SolMannaFest

I started writing... but must wait until tomorrow, or thereafter to reach completion with the thoughts and ideas I will try and formulate, as I am far beyond exhausted to articulate my self the way I see fit or is deserving! Ill end this with..."One must endure burning in order to shed light"...Bless up, Stone! Talk to you soon my bredren...

Sol

SativaMan

SativaMan

I have to agree with the other guys, this isn't a fair partnership, you have to take the whole risk for about 2 years and he gets paid for nothing...
I myself have a partnership but it's different....i grow and he sales ....he doesn't know where i do it or how and i don't know where he sales it or something like that, we split the profit and keep it for ourselves.
Cheers!;)

Kyle mccall

Kyle mccall

Alrite mate basically always stay on your own take one thing from sky high you ll never make enough money to sustain your self that is how the world is now a days you have to be rich haha but all that crap about get a job and do it on the side it's modern day slavery bro simple your doing fine with smaller grows 13k mate why don't you focus on bringing your living means down so ur money last you longer.

The richer you get the dearer you're desires become. Live comfortable and happy

half baked

half baked

id stay clear of it, if he's your friend why doesnt he front the equipment for 1 of those rooms then pay him back once done (our local hydro guys hooked me up this way) then from the profits invest in another room and again and again till your where you want to be, ive seen peeps sayin no partners but this wouldnt be a partnership, this is one guy taking you for a ride to make easy money while you take all the risks and do all the work, it just wont work and would you want to be in some1s pocket for 2yrs? what happens if it all goes pete tongue? would you still owe him for the 5 crops? partners do work as long as its a 2way street, both have the same risk involved, better for peace of mind, i know ive got a grow buddy lol

be careful whatever you decide but as you can see, the rest of us say noooooooooooo ;)
hb

sky high

sky high

4 months later......I wonder if jimbob stayed solo and got a grow going on his own or if he partnered up with john boy as described in his first post?

any guesses?

Kyle mccall

Kyle mccall

Greed probably won but may be he really needs the money and that's never to say that his plans together might actually work ;)

Mogrow

Mogrow

as illmind said, he on a solo trip, cause a one sided coin don't flip...

Latest posts

Top Bottom