Neem Cake Meal?

• Thread starter Theoneandonly Z
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Hey Cap, I was wondering what affects neem cake meal (NCM) can have on bennies? If i amend my medium with NCM, will it be an oxymoron if I'm using ur beneficials? I am aware that using a concentrated neem oil as drenches can do extensive damage to beneficial microbial populations, but NCM is not concentrated and is a slow release. From my understanding, it helps out against unwanted nematodes. Im hoping it will act as a repellent for RA and FG. Im also under the impressions that NCM also has other beneficial properties in the soil food web. I picked some up a year ago and used it on two cycles. i did not see any difference and i also didnt have any soil pests. I just dont know if its compatable with OG Biowar? maybe im over thinking it... Just wondering what your thoughts are?

tweedy

tweedy

I'm also interested in hearing this. I have been looking at adding both to the mix but am in the same boat. Thanks for asking!

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
It BETTER be ok, I use it in my mixes and occasionally as top-dressing.
I'm also interested in hearing this. I have been looking at adding both to the mix but am in the same boat. Thanks for asking!
Hey Cap, I was wondering what affects neem cake meal (NCM) can have on bennies? If i amend my medium with NCM, will it be an oxymoron if I'm using ur beneficials? I am aware that using a concentrated neem oil as drenches can do extensive damage to beneficial microbial populations, but NCM is not concentrated and is a slow release. From my understanding, it helps out against unwanted nematodes. Im hoping it will act as a repellent for RA and FG. Im also under the impressions that NCM also has other beneficial properties in the soil food web. I picked some up a year ago and used it on two cycles. i did not see any difference and i also didnt have any soil pests. I just dont know if its compatable with OG Biowar? maybe im over thinking it... Just wondering what your thoughts are?

Found out neem cake will inhibit the growth of all fungi and bacteria. Wait 1 month after using neem cake to introduce bennies. Apparently it won't kill them but it will really slow them down.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Another experiment comes about this year, then. I'll drop it from the mix and see what happens.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Found out neem cake will inhibit the growth of all fungi and bacteria. Wait 1 month after using neem cake to introduce bennies. Apparently it won't kill them but it will really slow them down.
thanks for looking into it Cap. Good info to know.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
If neem is antifungal then it is possible that it is also anti good fungi.

I cannot find any supporting evidence online that shows neem cake does not harm beneficials, other than a few cannabis forums. However, my microbe source is telling me to wait a month after applying neem cake to introduce bennies. This may be because the neem has to break down a bit first to be safe/ineffective on bennies.

There are certainly some bacteria that will feed on neem as this is how decomposition works. Possibly the rhodospirillum species in the packs... but that is not to say that ALL micxrobes in the soil will feed off neem cake.

I am still looking for sources.

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

If neem is antifungal then it is possible that it is also anti good fungi.

I cannot find any supporting evidence online that shows neem cake does not harm beneficials, other than a few cannabis forums. However, my microbe source is telling me to wait a month after applying neem cake to introduce bennies. This may be because the neem has to break down a bit first to be safe/ineffective on bennies.

There are certainly some bacteria that will feed on neem as this is how decomposition works. Possibly the rhodospirillum species in the packs... but that is not to say that ALL micxrobes in the soil will feed off neem cake.

I am still looking for sources.
can you "cook" the neem meal first
aka mix with some dirt, moisten, leave in the closet for a month?

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Right, ive been searching online here and there for the past week. nothing conclusive. thanks again Cappadonna, really got u researchin :bookworm: "Let us milk the cow the best way we know how, Ogbiowar projects chicka-POW"

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

can you "cook" the neem meal first
aka mix with some dirt, moisten, leave in the closet for a month?
damn near read my mind, i was thinking maybe throw it in my compost... but would that throw decomposing bacteria off balance? shit.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
@mastacheeser what is the benefit you are trying to achieve using neem cake? I don't use it, but I think most people use it for it's anti fungal/insect repellent properties. It breaks down fairly quickly, so if you are breaking it down first before applying it, what benefits are you getting?

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

@mastacheeser what is the benefit you are trying to achieve using neem cake? I don't use it, but I think most people use it for it's anti fungal/insect repellent properties. It breaks down fairly quickly, so if you are breaking it down first before applying it, what benefits are you getting?
honestly just trying to wrap my head around it

sounds like it would be great for getting insects out of re used mediums if you have a little while to let it sit

organicozarks

organicozarks

So I'm ok putting it in my mixes, then?

I use it in all of my soil. I also use the OGBIOWAR Foliar spray. I don't know where it is, but there is information out there stating that neem cake does feed the microbes. As far as it's antifungal properties I would suggest an experiment. Mix up some compost, alfalfa, kelp, and neem cake, moisten it, and cover it in a container. It should grow white fuzz. If it doesn't then the neem cake is inhibiting the fungal growth. I have had white fuzz grow on moist mixes with neem in them, so as to what degree it inhibits is the question. If any.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Perhaps the term 'anti-fungal' is the problem here. Normally we're looking *for* anti-bad-fungals, not anti-good-fungals. Maybe the secondary plant metabolites in neem are able to distinguish good from bad, or perhaps affect bad only and not good. I'm just throwin' the thought out there.

organicozarks

organicozarks

Forgot to add that I was getting rid of a 50lb bag of neem cake, and decided to use it in the garden. (this was a few years back) It was in Spring(it smelled like shit), and it rained a lot. There was major fungal activity in and around the neem cake. Not much of an actual science experiment, but it did happen. Smelled like shit for about 2 months though. :)

So again, I think the question is application rates vs. fungal inhibiting properties. I am sure with the right tests we could find a happy medium. Gaining the "good" properties of neem cake without the "bad" properties of fungal inhibiting.

Or I could just be making shit up as I go along. :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom