New DOJ Memo on MMJ 7-1-2011

• Thread starter canaguy27
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RMCG

I am not jealous of an MMC owner, operator, landlord or license holder...

A

Angus

"Those who engage in transactions involving the proceeds of such activity may also be in violation of federal money laundering statutes and other federal financing laws"

I read this to mean that the crooked greedy politicians that were behind this disaster are now liable.
OOps, there goes any political support. and see ya later dispensary clowns.

This letter pretty much is vague and ambiguous so they can legally prosecute anyone.
Just as it always has been no protection whatsoever from the ogden memo.

They say small caregivers aren't targeted

Yeah I believe that. Why do you think all of a sudden caregivers must register the grow.
great timing.

sky high

sky high

Kinda makes ya wonder if the MMC's were given a monopoly on sales...

or a monopoly on cells??

It's all formal today. After this it's not gonna take anything more than a form letter to take it all down and put a buncha lawyers to work.

the only constant is change...and that staying small guarantees you will be under the radar >for now<.

s h

Jarofunk

Jarofunk

This doesn't seem to give us any new information. It leaves us where we have been for a while now. Even since the Holder memo there have been raids at the same rate as before. They are not saying, "We are coming for ya" to anyone. They basically maintain their stance that herb is still illegal and that anyone involved may be prosecuted.

Funny thing is, they don't have enough $$$ to run around prosecuting folks these days. I've heard multiple stories of Feds showing up and just robbing people. No charges pressed, they just take EVERYTHING of value and leave.

It's like the gov't and their 55 license-holding friends just need a little more time to setup their takeover...

C

canaguy27

This doesn't seem to give us any new information.

Funny thing is, they don't have enough $$$ to run around prosecuting folks these days. I've heard multiple stories of Feds showing up and just robbing people. No charges pressed, they just take EVERYTHING of value and leave.

It's like the gov't and their 55 license-holding friends just need a little more time to setup their takeover...

TOTALLY AGREE. My friend got popped with 40lbs going across state lines several years ago. The DEA wouldn't touch it bc it was under 100lbs. They did however raid his house and steal $35k in cash.

Those 55 companies can't grow, but can work with cannabinoids.

Tripsick

Tripsick

POSTED: 07/01/2011 11:41:21 AM MDT
UPDATED: 07/01/2011 02:01:21 PM MDT

The Obama Administration has taken its strongest stance yet in declaring that medical-marijuana dispensaries are legitimate targets of prosecution.

In a memo written earlier this week, Deputy Attorney General James M. Cole wrote that people, "who are in the business of cultivating, selling or distributing marijuana, and those who knowingly facilitate such activities" are in violation of federal law regardless of their state laws.

"Such persons are subject to federal enforcement action, including potential prosecution," Cole wrote.

The memo comes nearly two years after a memo by another Justice Department official was seen as giving the green light for medical-marijuana businesses to open. That memo, from then-Deputy

Attorney General David Ogden, declared that federal law-enforcement officials shouldn't expend resources going after people who are in "clear and unambiguous compliance" with their state's medical-marijuana laws.
Since then, federal officials have periodically re-asserted their authority to prosecute federal crimes, including marijuana distribution, regardless of state law. But Cole's memo is the clearest statement to date that the Obama Administration does not believe dispensaries should have legal shelter.

The memo clarifies that Ogden was referring to "individuals with cancer or other serious illnesses," not to dispensaries or other commercial marijuana businesses.

"The Department's view of the efficient use of limited federal resources as articulated in the Ogden Memorandum has not changed," Cole wrote. "There has, however, been an increase in the scope of commercial cultivation, sale, distribution and use of marijuana for purported medical purposes."

Colorado U.S. Attorney John Walsh forwarded Cole's memo to state Attorney General John Suthers this morning, on the same day that sweeping new rules for the state's medical-marijuana industry go into effect. After two legislative sessions of

feverish work, Colorado now has the nation's most comprehensive system for creating and regulating cannabis businesses.
Suthers said today that change hasn't gone unnoticed by federal officials.

"The Department of Justice," Suthers said, "is saying, 'This is not what we had in mind.'"

Meanwhile today, medical-marijuana advocates announced they have filed a lawsuit in state court challenging the new rules for dispensaries. The advocates argue the rules restrict patient rights and violate the state constitution's medical-marijuana provisions.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_18391545

I hope they start with the people that made it for profit.

Dorje

Dorje

It is new information, they specifically said that small caregivers and patients are not targets for federal prosecution but large commercial operations ARE, as well as anyone knowingly involved with supporting them, such as their landlords, gov't licensing dept's, tax collectors (DOR), etc...

It will be interesting to hear CO's response to this, as they will be putting their own employees at risk of prosecution by allowing MMCs.

Denver Post just put up an article:

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_18391545

Jarofunk

Jarofunk

"small caregivers" and patients have never been targets. I have never heard of any such people having trouble with Feds.

It was interesting how in the memo they brought up how much $$$ these large commercial grows could bring in. That piece of information could have easily been left out. Maybe they are trying to let us know exactly what bothers them about the whole thing.

We wouldn't want any type of middle-class job market to develop, now would we?

Dorje

Dorje

It was interesting how in the memo they brought up how much $$$ these large commercial grows could bring in. That piece of information could have easily been left out. Maybe they are trying to let us know exactly what bothers them about the whole thing.

We wouldn't want any type of middle-class job market to develop, now would we?

I agree, this is what pisses cops off the most... off course they still buy their Coors. The Coors family aren't rich, are they? How about the bankers they pay their interest to?...

Jarofunk

Jarofunk

speaking of Coors, Ima go grab some. nothin like some Rocky Mt H20 on a hot day

Lots of big fish in the sea... The way I see it, there are so many folks goin' huge, shipping out of state, etc., the Feds don't have time for you unless you are a big dog. If you fall in this category, I would be worried. The people I worry about most are those who had high patient counts a couple years back and now have less, or aren't doing the registry thing period. All the while running the same 8-12k at their house and sending it East.

true grit

true grit

Alright well how long is it gonna take Big Pharma to get this shit re-scheduled? Ready for the hoopla to subside already...

C

canaguy27

Now it is payback time for the small time caregivers. We have this memo and now the patient lawsuit... interesting times.

D

diffrentstrains

All the big utility bills us "felon marijuana cultivators" are paying are making those same bourgeois statesmen filthy rich. Think they will notice?

R

RMCG

Some of your 'Hope' served up with a side dish of 'Change'....

Enjoy...

Dorje

Dorje

Alright well how long is it gonna take Big Pharma to get this shit re-scheduled? Ready for the hoopla to subside already...

I heard the fed govt licensed 55 huge grows for pharmies to make generic marinol. Apparently this didn't require rescheduling. :sign0065:

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

55 companies are federally liscensed to do research on canabanoids.

Meanwhile in Texas they have passed a law that states that it is illeagle to sell or distribute any substance that has an effect on canabanoid receptor sites similar to they way cannabis does (this law aimed at the bs stuff they sell at the headshops that is "leagle weed" or whatever that shit is). This law effectively makes it against the law to sell Tylenol because it acts via a mechanism on receptor sites for canabanoids. The whole thing is laughable!

I think the moral of the story is: WHen you privatize prisions, more laws + stiffer sentences = more profit!!!:hi Everyone is running around saying "I just dont understand why they wont leagalize it...its just a plant....big pharma kills tens of thousands a year on their pills and MMJ kills none....Well untill we have $25+ billion in revenues annually (like the largest prision company...yes that is the revenue of the largest privatized prison company, yes a single company!) we will never be able to afford equal representation on the hill and guess what...those douchebags will be locking our asses up all the way to the bank!!! :banana1sv6:

true grit

true grit

I heard the fed govt licensed 55 huge grows for pharmies to make generic marinol. Apparently this didn't require rescheduling. :sign0065:

I believe they received licensing on a Mon/Tues and had already appealed by Thurs to re-schedule....assuming its just a matter of $$ and time now. And they have plenty of $$.

Mr.Sputnik

Mr.Sputnik

If you're thinking about upgrading your grow room or expanding your grow, there are going to be some really good deals on used equipment in the near future.

Well, anyone involved in the commercial MMJ industry is FUCKED. If I had an MMC I would be packing it up about now. Whatever bullshit the CO attorneys are feeding folks isn't going to stand up in a federal court of law.

I think this memo is pretty blatant, and it's no coincidence it was released on July 1, 2011.

Does THIS mean prices are going back up? :banana1sv6:

Top Bottom