New EYE Hortilux Ballast

• Thread starter MissyGreen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MissyGreen

Anyone seen these for sale yet somewhere?:

Quite a high MSRP, but you get a free bulb. Part of the Platinum Series....only the finest, marketing makes me laugh. :)

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
owch you could buy 2 ballasts for that price

or ballast, 2 bulbs and a raptor hood

they sure are coming late to the game especialy with that msrp

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Yeah for sure, late and the design where both plugs are on the same side of ballasts was an earlier design from other companies and proved problematic for some...who knows, seems odd, weird bracket for it, although I could see how it stays cooler with that bracket design but again they gotta compete with the other's msrp.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Interesting how they specify the ballast conforms to ANSI standards, and that it runs at a low frequency.

They are late to the game, but it does look like good gear. I agree about spreadign the plugs out a bit, that looks like a potential pain in the ass to wire.

I seriously doubt if the low freq. is worth the price. Maybe they're just carving out margin to lower the price with later? Someone will buy them at this price, must be nice to have markup like that!

M

MissyGreen

Yeah, I was kind of disappointed to see the open air vent too instead of some big heatsink fins.

TrichromeFan

TrichromeFan

The Hortilux doesn't look worth the money for me. If you're gonna pay extra, I think the solis tek is the shiznit. This one has a remote control system, so you need no timers or relay box for a bunch of lights. Just 220v outlets. If you have multiples they even turn on in sequence so you don't have power spikes. It msrp's for 399. Remote that controls them is 20. No remote basic version that still sequence startups is 349. Seems like you actually get something for the money with these guys.

Matrix

-TF

BCrocker

BCrocker

doesn't the AN 'Badass ballast' also run a low freq?

Not sure about these.. if they are as 'good' as their "Badass Blade" fans.. then they are complete shit. Local store only had the Badass fans in stock so I tried them out, 60% fail rate.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Not sure about these.. if they are as 'good' as their "Badass Blade" fans.. then they are complete shit. Local store only had the Badass fans in stock so I tried them out, 60% fail rate.

Ouch. The A.N. profit machine strikes again!

You'd think they would have learned their lesson by now- and it's not as if they won't partner up with good mfrs- their 'bad bass fans' are actually sourced from Ostbreg, top quality.

ttystikk

ttystikk

The Hortilux doesn't look worth the money for me. If you're gonna pay extra, I think the solis tek is the shiznit. This one has a remote control system, so you need no timers or relay box for a bunch of lights. Just 220v outlets. If you have multiples they even turn on in sequence so you don't have power spikes. It msrp's for 399. Remote that controls them is 20. No remote basic version that still sequence startups is 349. Seems like you actually get something for the money with these guys.
-TF

Soooo... wait a minute. Can someone please tell me wtf I need a REMOTE to run my ballasts for??

That makes as much sense as lipstick on an airliner.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
bro, I change my ballasts from the couch, keeping the plants guessing...lol
I don't see the need for a remote unless your ballasts are actually out of reach but I hope these ballasts can do all the configuring on the ballast itself versus a remote....Be a shame if you could only set timer with this remote and then it breaks or you run out of batteries for it the day you need to change the hour cycle...lol
Does seem gimicky, 20bucks so I can use the ballast without touching it...
I mean honestly, I touch my ballasts when I plug them in at beg of a cycle and that is only time I touch them that cycle....

baba G

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
just another remote for me to lose - wonder if my universal would work?

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Bad ass ballasts, why buy from Advanced???

Ouch. The A.N. profit machine strikes again!

You'd think they would have learned their lesson by now- and it's not as if they won't partner up with good mfrs- their 'bad bass fans' are actually sourced from Ostbreg, top quality.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/426509786/Low_frequency_dimmable_digital_electronic_Ballast.html

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/51458236/mini_portable_Washing_Machine.html

You see the angle there....These companies sometimes don't come up with anything but they buy and resale...

Top Bottom