New Farmer: have questions - flowering, sexing.

• Thread starter Poof1234
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Poof1234

I've got a pretty ghetto situation right now.

Just learning. I am saving up for a hydro grow box kit system I've had my eyes on.

I am only interested in small to medium sized gardening. for private enjoyment.

I love gardening and have much experience in growing various ornamental plants, flowers, bushes, trees, grasses, fruits, and vegetables, and managing their individual stresses.

This has been my first indoor gardening experience and I really enjoy learning.

Currently, I have a 10 plant set up, in soil. They were started outdoors (which led to an early insect problem that has long since been handled with insecticidal soap), and moved in ater attaining about 3 nodes each.

They were introduced to 4 40W flourescent tubes running 24 hrs hanging about 6 inches from the tops. After a few weeks, I transplanted them into larger sioil/sand containing pots. I flushed them with water and some liquid fertilizer and they took off. I would have begun flowering sooner, but some scheduling prevented me from attending to them as I would have liked, so they got light, water, and air circulation via small fan set below the plants and circulating upward for a couple extra weeks.

For ventillation, I have a small attic fan with a filter.

I only water when the top of the soil is dry.

So... which brings me to my question.....

I began the flowering phase a few days ago (switching to 12 light and 12 total darkness). I know that I won't be watering as frequently. it's too early to tell what I've got. I am growing from several varieties (unknown), but from a reputable seed bank. they look pretty different already. One is bushy with long dark leaves and one is bright green, almost glowing with reddish purple hues on the leaves. The rest vary some as well, just less notebly. I have a couple of retarded looking plants (not counted in my original count of 10). they're growing alright, but appear quite abnormal. One is clearly cannabis, but displays a single unusually large non radial leaf at each node. I'm just watching it for fun. Another has abnormal leaf shapes, otherwise, they appear healthy. I've been pruning off some of the lower leaves that turn yellow or brown and begin to curl .

Some have begun to grow secondary sets of leaves out of the lower nodes, I have like 6 leaves coming off each node on one.

How long should I wait until I can see evidence of flowering, sex traits (for male extermination)???

other advice welcome ... other than ragging on my ghetto system and telling me what kind of system works best. I have done my research, I'm just dealing with what I got going on now. Tips?

L

LEBDOG

other advice welcome ... other than ragging on my ghetto system and telling me what kind of system works best. I have done my research, I'm just dealing with what I got going on now. Tips?

When it gets time for really veging and flowering those suckers, and if this is your first grow. I would advise running a 1/4 to 1/3 strength nutrient schedule.

Since you are running soil I really toss a bit of guano in there just so they can kinda pick and choose their nutrients without getting too much!

That's my advice. I see so many farmers getting started running way too strong of nutrients, constantly stressing their plants (as I did too). The next thing I see happening too much is way too much Calcium Magnesium additives being added, again stressing the plants. Just error on the side of less is more with everything other than light and you will be good!

Much Luck! You system isn't nearly as ghetto as you think it is. I have seen way worse... Christmas tree lights running a grow once.

P

Poof1234

thanks. I have been easy on the nutes for a number of reasons. I think hydro systems are really the only way to beef up on nutrients without burning the plant or destroying it due to the ability to change solutions and effectively wash the roots off so easily. Budget is another concern and lack of experience. I really appreciate the advice. Interestingly, I just ordered some bat guano on the advice of an article I read. I'll let you see how it works out...

A couple of males showed up already and I culled them immediately and rearranged everything for a more optimal set-up. Several are now obviously female. Been dealing with some top-wilt issues....? the leaves on the tops are wilted? I think they are getting adequately watered. They are a good 7-9 inches from the lights and don't feel too hot. Ideas?

A few weeks ago, I had rearranged things a bit one day and left for a while. I came back and one of my lights had fallen a bit (thank God there wasn't a fire...) (I have since secured the lights soundly) and burned one of the tops of the plants. I was disappointed, but did the only logical thing and cut it off. I have read about topping plants before, but was a little scared about what would happen. It's too bad that I didn't do it to all of my plants. That thing is getting big. I haven't had to do much pruning lately or really anything. Watching is exciting though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom