New farmer needs help pls

• Thread starter minster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

minster

Hi all, could some of your experienced peeps have a look at my seedling please. My first grow, this is a test bag seed I have a few more seedlings from purchased beans that are few days behind this one in Gold Label Special mix. My new seedlings are in Canna COCO - hoping I wont make the same mistake with them.

Here are my details

1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
- Seed
2. How old are your plants?
- 9 days from popping out of root riot cube
3. How tall are your plants?
- 2 inches
4. What type of hydro system are you using?
- handwatered Gold Label special mix 60/40 clay pebbles and coco
5. What brand/type of nutrients are you using?
- Canna Coco
6. What is the Ph of your nutrient solution?
7. What is the PPM/EC of your tap water?
8. What is the PPM/EC of your nutrient solution?

- for questions 6,7 and 8 above : Using RO water

- 1st water PH 5.8 / EC 0.0 - run off PH 5.9 / EC 0.3
- 2nd water Ph 5.8 / EC 0.0 - run off 6.1 / EC 0.0
- 3rd Water PH 6.1 / EC 0.5 - run off 6.5 / EC 0.5
- 4th water PH 5.8 / EC 0.0 - run off 6.5 / EC 0.3

9. What is the temperature of your nutrient solution?
18c handwatered
10. Does your PPM/EC show a rise or fall when you do your daily PPM check?
- differs, see above
11. Does your pH show a rise or fall when you do your daily check?
- differs, see above
12. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?
- no
13. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")
- small 4 way T5
14. How close are your lights to the plants?
- 3 inches
15. What size is your grow space in square feet?
seed cupboard : 80cm x80cm x 4ft

16. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?

- Temps mostly 23-26 : Has dropped to 18 and risen to 29 on occasions
- humidity mainly 60-70% : Has dropped to 35%, no more than 85%
17. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
- none
18. How much experience do you have growing

- none, am a grow idiot

New farmer needs help pls

The bottom leaves are a bit droopy and it a very squat plant. The leaves were touching the coco. I thought maybe this was due to watering and the leaves hanging but it started to appear on upper leaves too.

The leaves are light in colour to me, the photo is a good match

any inputs would be welcome.

thank you

minster

H

Hylife

I'd say it looks fine right now... just keep your ppm's real low for these little guys till there about 10' tall then you can use full str. feed.

I'd say just be patient let them all grow up a little, they look like they will grow out just fine

cocoJoe

cocoJoe

Did you rinse your coco?
If you did, the plants need nutes. Mildly fertilize and bring it up slowly.

I don't like coco mixed with anything but more coco. That's just me.

Peace cocoJoe

M

minster

I'd say it looks fine right now... just keep your ppm's real low for these little guys till there about 10' tall then you can use full str. feed.

I'd say just be patient let them all grow up a little, they look like they will grow out just fine

thanks Hylife, I do seem to be like a new parent....need to relax a bit. Are you saying the brown tip is nothing to worry about?

M

minster

Did you rinse your coco?
If you did, the plants need nutes. Mildly fertilize and bring it up slowly.

I don't like coco mixed with anything but more coco. That's just me.

Peace cocoJoe

funny you should say that Joe, I debated with myself on this and read somewhere I didnt need to flush Canna Coco.....have taken the low ppm advice, thank you - just concerned about the brown leaf tip.

S

swisscheese

You probably need to relax and let the plant grow. I am running canna coco with the full line of nutes and had some funky seedlings like that. Don't over water and don't be afraid of giving the plant nutes. I also do frequent foliar sprays of the rhizotonic on all my plants and they seem to be loving it.

M

minster

Cheers Swiss Cheese - are you using RO water ? Think your right re relaxing....will do my best ;)

How much Rhizotonic do you add to your spray? At what age did you start applying it?

thanks mate.

S

swisscheese

Regular tap water. I just follow the dilution rates on the bottle and use it on everything.

M

minster

new pics - pls help save my Blue cheese seedlings

Hi all, could some of your experienced peeps have a look at my seedling please. My first grow, this is a test bag seed I have a few more seedlings from purchased beans that are few days behind this one in Gold Label Special mix. My new seedlings are in Canna COCO - hoping I wont make the same mistake with them.

Here are my details

1. Are you growing from seed or clones?
- Seed
2. How old are your plants?
- 9 days from popping out of root riot cube
3. How tall are your plants?
- 2 inches
4. What type of hydro system are you using?
- handwatered Gold Label special mix 60/40 clay pebbles and coco
5. What brand/type of nutrients are you using?
- Canna Coco
6. What is the Ph of your nutrient solution?
7. What is the PPM/EC of your tap water?
8. What is the PPM/EC of your nutrient solution?

- for questions 6,7 and 8 above : Using RO water

- 1st water PH 5.8 / EC 0.0 - run off PH 5.9 / EC 0.3
- 2nd water Ph 5.8 / EC 0.0 - run off 6.1 / EC 0.0
- 3rd Water PH 6.1 / EC 0.5 - run off 6.5 / EC 0.5
- 4th water PH 5.8 / EC 0.0 - run off 6.5 / EC 0.3

9. What is the temperature of your nutrient solution?
18c handwatered
10. Does your PPM/EC show a rise or fall when you do your daily PPM check?
- differs, see above
11. Does your pH show a rise or fall when you do your daily check?
- differs, see above
12. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything?
- no
13. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights")
- small 4 way T5
14. How close are your lights to the plants?
- 3 inches
15. What size is your grow space in square feet?
seed cupboard : 80cm x80cm x 4ft

16. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space?

- Temps mostly 23-26 : Has dropped to 18 and risen to 29 on occasions
- humidity mainly 60-70% : Has dropped to 35%, no more than 85%
17. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space?
- none
18. How much experience do you have growing

- none, am a grow idiot

View attachment 119979

The bottom leaves are a bit droopy and it a very squat plant. The leaves were touching the coco. I thought maybe this was due to watering and the leaves hanging but it started to appear on upper leaves too.

The leaves are light in colour to me, the photo is a good match

any inputs would be welcome.

thank you

minster

Well, its becoming a miserable xmas as the problem above is now starting to happen to my blue cheese seedlings in canna coco, ro water and canna coco nutes.

I have looked through the infirmary but I am just too new to ascertain whats wrong - deficiency, overdose, nute burn....I seem only to be able to grow confusion... :(

any experienced peeps got any ideas they can share ??? the yellowing on the sides has started to show on the newer leaves too :(

They have had two feeds, was planning to flush next - in ML/per liter
Canna Coco, from seed

watered with Ro water (no calmag)

1st feed - Canna A (0.3) Canna B (0.3) Rhitz (1) Cal ( 0.8) mag (0) PH (6.0) EC (0.7)

2nd feed Canna A (0.3) Canna B (0.3) Rhitz (1) Cal ( 0.3) mag (3.0) PH (6.0) EC (0.7)

any inputs very welcome

Mini

IMG 0422
IMG 0421
IMG 0416
M

minster

Pineapple sick and getting sicker :(

Throw up some ppm's bro.

Thanks Ronvmpc - certainly did the Blue Cheese the world of good - gave them a good boost with calmag, nutes and some silca...EC at 1.0, they are
now steaming along - big thanks :)

The pineapple chunk havent responded at all and look worse. I am wondering if they need a flush....

here is a pics, almost yellow marble, purple stems, poor thing

- does anyone know/guess whats going on here?

IMG 0425
mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

How often u watering are u letting the coco dry out? It is impotant! I run the canna absolutly no problems. If those were my babies they would be getting 2mls coco a and 2 mls coco b per 5mls rhizotonic 2mls calmag per gallon ro ph5.8 water till run off then they wouldn't see water till dry app. 5-7 days with straight canna coco. Fill one container with whavever coco perlite mix u want. Feel how heavy it is then water it through. Feel the diff this will give you a good idea of when to water. Works well for me a lot of people overwater coco and soil.

M

minster

thanks for the reply mittenmedgrow - they are in small pots (1 litre I think) and are definately dry by the end of two days - very light to pick up. My last feed for them per litre - 1ml A+B, 1ML Cal Mag, 1,5 ML Rhitz, 2ML Budlink Silica...Ro water 5.8....I am gutted I cant get to grips with this problem

do you think the yellowing is overwatering then? If anything I think I ahve let them get too dry at times....They seem really dry when I water them, cant imagine getting to 5 days unless they were in much bigger pots?

Any idea what is causing the yellow streaks?....they did have 10 days from seed without any Calmag, just RO...., I then used light nutes and I tried Epsom salts, then mono calcium, mono mg as foliar spray while I sourced the calmag...no effect either...nothing seems to be helping them....thats why I wonder if they have nute lock out

the yellow streaks are on all leafs, new and old, stems seem very purple....

any thoughts pls people?

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

I reread this thread and I'm no sure on your conversion but 0.7 ec sounds high for a first feeding. After 9 days of nothing maybe to much. In my experience they don't need alot at that phase. When my seedlings first sprout I start feeding at low ppms 200 tops gradually raising over next two weeks,but still im at probably 400ppm end of week 2.

M

minster

Problem 2 : Pineapple chunk

I reread this thread and I'm no sure on your conversion but 0.7 ec sounds high for a first feeding. After 9 days of nothing maybe to much. In my experience they don't need alot at that phase. When my seedlings first sprout I start feeding at low ppms 200 tops gradually raising over next two weeks,but still im at probably 400ppm end of week 2.

mmm, now the blue cheese is doing well...Perhaps I should have started a new thread for this pineapple chunk problem as it would have made things clearer...

Yeap have definately gone for more nutes than I would have liked but it seemed to sort out my other problems with the blue cheese - they are coming along nicely now. However, as you can see in the earlier picture - the pineapple chunk are suffering, question is what to do next. This is their feed schedule to date.

I dont understand what is happening to this plant and what to do next - is the plant overfeed, locked out? Do I flush with plain RO or add calmag to the flush, flush and then add lower nutes....am lost,

any help would be appreciated :(

Pineapple feed
mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

So how many happy plants are there and how many sad ones. What did u do diff.

M

minster

Hi mate, I have five pineapple chunk , only two of them dont have this yellow marble effect On their leafs - although a couple of brown spots have appeared, since I got aggressive with the nutes . All have had the same feed schedule . I also have 5 blue cheese that followed the same feeding but I stopped them going beyond EC 1.0. - they are all doing well now

The yellowing on the pineapple has been there for quite a few days, gradually getting worse and appearing on new growth . I thought the problem would sort itself out when I started to introduce Calmag - but sadly no. I cant find a picture that shows the same 'yellow marble' effect . .... I don't have a clue , I was thinking that it maybe water burnt on the leafs but don't think I have sprayed the new growth at all .....

mittenmedgrow

mittenmedgrow

Ok this is confusing all the pinapples in the same coco same nutes nothing eating on them closer to the light spill something on them gotta be something

M

minster

Ok this is confusing all the pinapples in the same coco same nutes nothing eating on them closer to the light spill something on them gotta be something

Wierd eh! you can see why I am pulling my hair out - lack of any practical experience hurting me here. I have moved them around in my room in case of environmental factors.......lights, fans etc. Been seaching again tonight to find any pics that look the same but no luck :(

Top Bottom