New grow room I’m building

• Thread starter elusiveshame
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

elusiveshame

When I bought my house, the previous owner had started building a room (I believe he said a 2nd bathroom), but he never finished. 3 walls were up, and the 4th was half framed.

Here’s a pic as it was when I bought (though I did put the pegboards up the other day):
New grow room im building 2

I had already started finishing the framing here.

2 pieces of drywall later:
New grow room im building

I ended up getting 3 sheets of drywall as I wasn’t sure how much I was going to need + it’s good to have extra just in case.

The previous owner put on a door in the inward facing wall, but he was terrible at keeping things squared and the door didn’t close and latch. I readjusted the catch plate and now it shuts, though it’s a bit janky. Oh well.

New grow room im building 3

I think some weather stripping will take care of those light leaks.

As you can see, the rafters let through a ton of light, so I needed to either block them off, or put a ceiling up. Since I had an extra piece of drywall, and 2 quarter sheets left from the wall, I figured why not.

New grow room im building 4

I didn’t have quite enough to fill the ceiling space length wise (had a gap about 3” wide).

After that, I cleaned it out, and here’s what it looks like now:

New grow room im building 5

(The tiling was actually done earlier this year as this side was just cement and the other sides tile was crumbling and old)

Tomorrow I’m going to tape and mud the drywall, get some weather stripping, and finish off the grunt work. Once that’s all dried, I’ll bleach the walls, floor, and ceiling.

I ordered a 400w light off Amazon that specified it was good for a 5x5’ tent, another timer, another hygrometer outlet, a 6” exhaust fan / carbon filter kit (will get it out the left wall), and some Mylar sheets that I’ll be stapling to the walls. The package I got should cover all 4 walls, but not enough for the ceiling. I’m not sure that’s needed anyway. These will also help with any light leaks as I don’t plan on finishing the drywall for the walls anytime soon.

I’m planning on growing 4-5 autos in here to start off. Once I see everything in transit and estimated delivery dates, I’ll sow the seeds :)

E

elusiveshame

Got some materials in today, so I started setting up the Mylar:
942BE4F4 D316 4584 88AE 756A6B5C3668

972EF0CC 769A 438B ADD4 1C1DAC1C5C70

This was just one sheet. It’s kind of a pain to work with as it’s very flimsy and easy to tear. I’m trying to get it as tight/taut as possible to reduce noise from the fan. I’ll only be able to do about 2/3rds of the room as I want to get the exhaust fan in first and figure out where I’m going to mount it and have it exit the room.

I also tossed some hooks in the ceiling so I knew where the studs were to mount the light, and then I tossed up a sock hanger that I plan on using to hang the plants as they dry.

I also started working on getting the doors light leaks squared away, but that might be a headache due to the incorrect framing of the door. I might just get some blackout curtains and hang it over the entrance on the inside if I can’t get a satisfactory seal.

E

elusiveshame

There's something about growing in a room instead of a tent...it just nice. Tents are nice too, easier.

Yeah, I really like the ability to just walk into a space and not have to bend and lean around things. Looking forward to this room being finished.

I would paint the walls white with layers of kilz, forget the mylar.

The problem is I've run out of drywall, and the only way I can get it is either renting a truck, or having it delivered as my little car can't fit any in. So do I pay $120 for 2 sheets of drywall, or $8 for some Mylar lol. The only reason why I got some the other day is I had enough to warrant paying $80 in shipping costs.

Maybe next year I’ll finish it up properly as I really don’t expect the Mylar to last

flowerdave

flowerdave

Yeah, I really like the ability to just walk into a space and not have to bend and lean around things. Looking forward to this room being finished.

The problem is I've run out of drywall, and the only way I can get it is either renting a truck, or having it delivered as my little car can't fit any in. So do I pay $120 for 2 sheets of drywall, or $8 for some Mylar lol. The only reason why I got some the other day is I had enough to warrant paying $80 in shipping costs.

Maybe next year I’ll finish it up properly as I really don’t expect the Mylar to last
if you or someone you can trust have tractor supply rewards they might have a free trailer rental deal. Here i get a coupon once a quarter for an all day rental, that solved alot of my build problems. Good luck with the build.

E

elusiveshame

You have no top plate on the studs for wall. Your building a half ass grow closet. You are still going to want to paint the walls with killz or another mold prevention product. You should educate yourself before you burn your house down..I see your right next to your furnace 😒

I don’t have a furnace. You should educate yourself on basic home equipment before making silly comments and assumptions.

Electric water heater bud, but ill keep my other comments to myself...... if you read the entire post, this room was already 3/4 done when the guy moved in. He took advantage of what he had.

Its just a grow closet not the tajmahal...

Exactly. It’s something that cost me less than $100 to build (not including shipping costs or grow room equipment).

The start a fire comment is funny, especially since people grow in tents with material just as flammable. 🤷‍♂️

if you or someone you can trust have tractor supply rewards they might have a free trailer rental deal. Here i get a coupon once a quarter for an all day rental, that solved alot of my build problems. Good luck with the build.

I have a buddy who will come with me to pick up the stuff, but the main issue is it’s 1.5 hours round trip to the nearest place that sells drywall, and our schedules often conflict. It’ll be something I do next year when I do a few more projects in the yard in the spring time for my non-cannabis plants :)

D

dean1963

if the mylar rips you should try flash grow.
same idea just really tough.
that the last owner should have all his tools taken away from him. lol
not sure how the bottom plate is attached to the floor ( probably not ) but if you can knock the bottom plate in an inch or so, that should help the door close proper

E

elusiveshame

You might be able to get a tent for that space. Sometimes they're under 100 bucks.
Can't believed I missed this. Yeah, that might not be a bad solution as well.
if the mylar rips you should try flash grow.
same idea just really tough.
that the last owner should have all his tools taken away from him. lol
not sure how the bottom plate is attached to the floor ( probably not ) but if you can knock the bottom plate in an inch or so, that should help the door close proper
Good to know! I'll check it out if I have any issues with this.

And yeah, I agree 100%. It's not attached to the floor, but everything was already drywall'd and painted, so I'd basically be starting over at that point. As for the previous owner... ugh. The backsplash in the kitchen was linoleum, all of the crown molding was spliced together from left over pieces + edges weren't butted correctly, they didn't replace the toilet wax ring (nor disclosed that so it caused some water damage my first day in the house), amongst other silly things. Take his tools away indeed!

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Exactly. It’s something that cost me less than $100 to build (not including shipping costs or grow room equipment).

The start a fire comment is funny, especially since people grow in tents with material just as flammable. 🤷‍♂️
It really gets under my skin when people bash other peoples stuff they are proud of and happy with. Its no ones room but yours, if you like the way its set up, and itll work for you to grow some killer meds, so be it!! Idk why so many people wanna be trolls.

E

elusiveshame

you don't waste time do you
I don’t :p I wasn’t anticipating seeing prices on tents go low until sometime after January and since I’m nearing the end of my first grow, I want to have a solid place to dry them, while starting my next plants. Since my 2x4 can only realistically hold 2 plants, I wanted to expand anyway. Now I can start 6 or so plants, then by the time the drying has finished on the first crop, I can move the photos to the 2x4 tent.

Kraken.headz

Kraken.headz

Doesn't seem like it's relevant any more, but for others moving forward, I really like this type of material in place of mylar

I'm building out a basement grow using Trusscore PVC panels, which are certainly not inexpensive.

Last edited:
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Doesn't seem like it's relevant any more, but for others moving forward, I really like this type of material in place of mylar

I'm building out a basement grow using Trusscore PVC panels, which are certainly not inexpensive.
R-Tech would have been a good material to use too. Insulated with a foil backing for light reflectivity.

E

elusiveshame

The tent and components all arrived early (everything was supposed to show up tomorrow and Monday), so I got right to work.

45630690 14C7 42F4 923A 30792C6E36E0

I had to build the tent in the room, which wasn’t nearly as much of a challenge as I thought it would be.

I ran a mid weight extension cord from the outlet behind the tent, and is rated for 1850W, so plenty for everything to safely run.

Now the fun part comes - having to figure out where the fan is going to be mounted and which wall I’m cutting through.

Blunt break first, though 😎💨💨💨

Top Bottom