New grower! First clone!- need advice plz!!

• Thread starter GivingTree
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GivingTree

I have a 7-8 week old plant that i wanted to clone to see if its male or female before i flower it. i cut a cliping and stuck it in water. just water... no chemicals or nothing. i am limited on money and heard this is a fool proof ancient way to clone. i just dont know how much heat i have, or need so i put the lights really close to it since they r CFL's they dont produce enough heat to really burn the leaves unless they touch. also.. do i leave it in with my other plants? i got them on 24/0 for veg. i asume thats wut i need for my clone until it roots then i plant it and do 12/12 to flower. right? any help or constructive criticism is welcome and much appreciated! thank you!

New grower first clone  need advice plz
New grower first clone  need advice plz 2
New grower first clone  need advice plz 3
New grower first clone  need advice plz 4
New grower first clone  need advice plz 5
New grower first clone  need advice plz 6
G

GivingTree

i just had to raise the lights cause 1 of the leaves started to wilt and i sprayed it wit a light mist. i also put a sanwich bag over it that i misted water into then rubber banded it to the bottle to seal it.( i have a fan in my closet so its kinda dry.) is this a good idea? or do u need pics to understand better?

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

If you're trying to clone BEFORE you sex it, skip what I said about putting it on 12/12. Keep it on 24hrs til rooted, then switch. Make sure the fan doesnt blow directly on your cut while your trying to root it. It needs moisture and heat. Unless bubble cloning.

G

GivingTree

im really just trying to sex the "mother plant". but if i can get a sample bud out of this baby then im down to try that out too.. but main reason is for sexing.

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Here's Some Help

You need to change the water daily with this method, you may lose some leaves but as long as the clone looks healthy your good. You can also put some damp soil in a cup stick a tooth pick in the middle and waller a little hole deep enough to plant the clone. Then insert the clone into the hole and gently press the soil around the little plant stem. Plant it deep enough so it will stand on its own maybe 1 1/2" or 2 to be safe. Keep the soil moist for a week or so then let it dry out a little before each watering. This will help make the roots grow. When you see new growth your on your way, take care

mal

G

GivingTree

You need to change the water daily with this method, you may lose some leaves but as long as the clone looks healthy your good.

mal

so i have to dump the whole thing out and refill it completely with new water everyday? only once? and im using tap water but i dont know how to control the ph. i have a simple pool ph tester that works well. my ph is way too high. wut should i add tomorrow to lower it?

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

if you stick the stem in your butt this will act as a good rooting indicator

Did you have your head in the same place when that idea rooted? LOL

I second the root hormone idea but nice touch with the plastic bag over your cut. It might root but that much water could cause rot on the stem. Change the water if it gets funky (I didn't do it everyday and I had a few cuts root in water) and keep that cut warm. No need to have the light super close, it may cook your clone.

Onespark

Onespark

Did you have your head in the same place when that idea rooted? LOL

I second the root hormone idea but nice touch with the plastic bag over your cut. It might root but that much water could cause rot on the stem. Change the water if it gets funky (I didn't do it everyday and I had a few cuts root in water) and keep that cut warm. No need to have the light super close, it may cook your clone.

Does anyone else think the cut would root waaay better in a cup of soil? The water method is less than ideal.

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
Does anyone else think the cut would root waaay better in a cup of soil? The water method is less than ideal.

yes need to block light for better root growth rooting powder helps too keep soil moist till you see new growth on the clone in soil it takes like 12 to 18 days to root

how old is the mother ? they usualy sex in 6 to 8 weeks without flip to 12/12 hope this helped

G

GivingTree

how old is the mother ? they usualy sex in 6 to 8 weeks without flip to 12/12 hope this helped

the mother is 8 weeks, but i dont see signs of male or female. and im gonna go get a rooting hormone tomorrow. and again i need help lowering my PH. can anyone suggest something to put in the water to lower the PH.

freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
white vinegar small amounts then test till you get it to where you need it
( applecider vinegar will work but its a light fertilizer so if you use it account for this)
Im gonna bet you get sex on mother before you get roots 2 weeks and you will know

G

GivingTree

so it will actually show sex before i change it to 12/12? cause my other plant just has baby leaves where the stems meet(nodes i think they r called) as apposed to new branches growin in to cut clones from. i think its male. any thoughts? ill post pics like always lol

G

GivingTree

pictures

ok here r pics of the other plant that i think is male. .see in the second picture it looks like it has balls but idk if thats just new growth.u tell me what u think. ill put more pics of the clone up next

DSCN0558
DSCN0559
G

GivingTree

clone update

new pics of clone. leaves that burned yesterday r brown now but otherwise looks green and healthy.

DSCN0553
DSCN0555
G

GivingTree

mother plant

this is a pic of the mother plant i want to know where u think it will show sex first. i diagrammed it to make it easier. green is the main stem, red is the leaves that grow first, then blue is the branches that sprout next, and pink is the leaves that sprout from the branch. i thought it would sex in the black circle first but i think i see some kind of pistils where pink and blue meet but im not sure (could just b new growth or leaves commin in.).. maybe u can zoom in enough to see for me. but any info or advice u can give would b appreciated..

DSCN0561
Diagram
freegrow

freegrow

Premium Member
Supporter
new pics of clone. leaves that burned yesterday r brown now but otherwise looks green and healthy.
get that clone in soil light is a bad thing for roots .......keep that bag over it .....keep it moist keep the roots dark and warm 78* to 85*

ok here r pics of the other plant that i think is male. .see in the second picture it looks like it has balls but idk if thats just new growth.u tell me what u think. ill put more pics of the clone up next

to early give it 3 -4 days and you will be sure

this is a pic of the mother plant i want to know where u think it will show sex first. i diagrammed it to make it easier. green is the main stem, red is the leaves that grow first, then blue is the branches that sprout next, and pink is the leaves that sprout from the branch. i thought it would sex in the black circle first but i think i see some kind of pistils where pink and blue meet but im not sure (could just b new growth or leaves commin in.).. maybe u can zoom in enough to see for me. but any info or advice u can give would b appreciated..

the first place they usualy show sex is from the 3 node down from the top and up the plant in the pic with little starting pre flowers is proly showing on the topp if you look close

G

GivingTree

thank u soo much uve been great help!! ill put pics up of the clone wen i plant it.. any specific instructions or hints to doin this?

N

Ne Obliviscaris

As Freegrow mentioned, light is the enemy of roots, I suggest using an opaque cup (like a coffee mug, and using a piece of cardboard with a wedge cut out (or anything that works) as a lid.

S

Sixth Alchemist

foil

what you need to do is remove the aluminium foil. thats your major reason for the heat burn. that one plant has balls. get apiece of white card bored to cover your wooen panel.

Top Bottom