new grower knows nothing!!! help

• Thread starter alexnewgrowr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
I believe it is working and what i mean by shaded areas are the areas that hardly see the light...ive been at this for a month i think i know what im talking about...lol
I read too this is what was said is a good idea "defoliation" right?

you really need those bulbs as close to the plant as you can get. I practice defoliation in my grows. matter of fact I do it twice in a plants cycle sometimes 3 times. but thats under extreme lighting where the plants have a ton of fans and are way bigger...

A

alexnewgrowr

you really need those bulbs as close to the plant as you can get. I practice defoliation in my grows. matter of fact I do it twice in a plants cycle sometimes 3 times. but thats under extreme lighting where the plants have a ton of fans and are way bigger...
Ok there growing back and its only been two days, on grow weed easy it said to start at veg.
What is topping then?
By the way i found that vanity and i read maylar is good for reflecting light to areas that dont get good light and 2 clip fans one directing air in and one out.

Last edited:
cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
PM sent with link explaining and showing you the different techniques. didnt post here as its for another site

Supergoo

Supergoo

@alexnewgrowr Honestly you dont need to be defoilating anything on your first grow. You especially dont need to be defo'ing at that early of a plants life. Just dont do it. Just let your plant do what it does, get the hang of growing first. Youve come along way from trying to use halogens ( hehe ;)). Just focus on doing the most minimal amount of things to your plants other than just regular feed/water check ph/ppm. Get those lights positioned better to get them about 2-3in away from the tops of your plants and have them horizontal now vertical, which is what it looks like in your pic.

-SG

A

alexnewgrowr

@alexnewgrowr Honestly you dont need to be defoilating anything on your first grow. You especially dont need to be defo'ing at that early of a plants life. Just dont do it. Just let your plant do what it does, get the hang of growing first. Youve come along way from trying to use halogens ( hehe ;)). Just focus on doing the most minimal amount of things to your plants other than just regular feed/water check ph/ppm. Get those lights positioned better to get them about 2-3in away from the tops of your plants and have them horizontal now vertical, which is what it looks like in your pic.

-SG
Yeah i know but if i put the the other way my plant will only see two bulbs(i would have to set it diagonal)and the clip lamp i have pointed right at it right now the vanity is only using 3/4 because the fourth one is below the pot.

Supergoo

Supergoo

Yeah i know but if i put the the other way my plant will only see two bulbs(i would have to set it diagonal)and the clip lamp i have pointed right at it right now the vanity is only using 3/4 because the fourth one is below the pot.

At over 6in from top cfls become almost useless. They lack penetration and lose so many lumens. Check out the "inverse sqaure law" to see what im talking about.

-SG

Supergoo

Supergoo

What is the difference between 24 / 0,18 / 6 is ?

24-0 is what I prefer in veg, the only time I would ever use 18-6 is about a week before flip to 12/12 but personally I would stick with 24-0. More light during veg=better plus less stretch which = good. Only real reason I can see for ever using 18-6 is if you are concerned with your light usage/bill.

-SG

mevius

mevius

24-0 is what I prefer in veg, the only time I would ever use 18-6 is about a week before flip to 12/12 but personally I would stick with 24-0. More light during veg=better plus less stretch which = good. Only real reason I can see for ever using 18-6 is if you are concerned with your light usage/bill.

-SG

I am currently 18/6, the growth rate seems to be very slow, then I can change 24/0?

Supergoo

Supergoo

I am currently 18/6, the growth rate seems to be very slow, then I can change 24/0?

Yes you can switch to 24/0! Rate of growth can have to do with a few different factors not always just light hours although that is a main factor. You should see quicker growth under 24/0.

-SG

mevius

mevius

Nope you will have no problems whatsoever!

-SG

CIMG6386

Already 6-7 weeks, and then suddenly changed 24/0 do not confuse his growth?

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
More light during veg=better plus less stretch which = good. Only real reason I can see for ever using 18-6 is if you are concerned with your light usage/bill.

This has been debated and argued forever lol. I never use anything 24/0 except for cloning. Ive tried 18/6 , 20/4 and 24/0 and always got the best results with 20/4. I'm from the school of thought the magic happens in the roots during darkness. again this has been debated forever so to each their own. 24/0 wont hurt anything for sure. to me its just not natural and Im never in a position where I need the plants to grow asap. Even members I respect have taught me that they have a dark period in their cloning and notice no difference in cloning time compared to 24/0... that blew me away lol. still never tried it yet.

I agree the cfls need to be as close as possible or they wont be effective.

Dunge

Dunge

Check out the "inverse sqaure law" to see what im talking about.
-SG
This seems a good place to point out that the inverse square law requires a point source.
The geometry of a lamp snugged up to a plant does not fit this model.

mevius, nice pic.
Your plant looks perfectly unharmed by your "new farmer" status.
cannapits is likely to suggest a topping, but even this could be considered an advanced technique, and not a requirement.
I believe this thread is getting monster reads because we all remember growing our first plants.
The more you care, the harder it is to sit back and let nature work her wonders.

mevius

mevius

This seems a good place to point out that the inverse square law requires a point source.
The geometry of a lamp snugged up to a plant does not fit this model.

mevius, nice pic.
Your plant looks perfectly unharmed by your "new farmer" status.
cannapits is likely to suggest a topping, but even this could be considered an advanced technique, and not a requirement.
I believe this thread is getting monster reads because we all remember growing our first plants.
The more you care, the harder it is to sit back and let nature work her wonders.

4 weeks topping
CIMG6391

Latest posts

Top Bottom