New grower needs help with small closet grow

• Thread starter Homegrownky77
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
comes down to do you want big yeilds with nice quality or do you just want some bud to smoke when ya bored?

you can get away with paying lots long term if you buy better equiptment to start. so i go 600w hps its cheap to buy upfront but cost a bucket in the long run but a 470w spider farmer led cost alot more to start up but will cost alot less long term and put out even larger bud to watt ratio :)
it isn’t any cheaper it’s just about choice.. and the bud ratio thing
comes down to do you want big yeilds with nice quality or do you just want some bud to smoke when ya bored?

you can get away with paying lots long term if you buy better equiptment to start. so i go 600w hps its cheap to buy upfront but cost a bucket in the long run but a 470w spider farmer led cost alot more to start up but will cost alot less long term and put out even larger bud to watt ratio :)
that is still not true..

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
anything i’ve researched currently says only premium high quality full spectrum LED lights compare with HID lights..
led’s are not cheaper to use.. don’t get fooled by what you read by how words are used/read..
we’re still a ways away from led’s becoming the best light for growing..
maybe the highest quality led lights from KIND or HLG.. but other than that i’m still a HID guy..

Derbudd420

Derbudd420

anything i’ve researched currently says only premium high quality full spectrum LED lights compare with HID lights..
led’s are not cheaper to use.. don’t get fooled by what you read by how words are used/read..
maybe the highest quality led lights from KIND or HLG.. but other than that i’m still a HID guy..
Been runnin315 cmh for years. Luv the penetration from those. Hate buying bulbs. Just completed first run under spider farmer bar style led. Gotta say I'm not disappointed. No hot spots or dim center spots just nice even light. About to start second run under em. Looking forward to posting pics.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Been runnin315 cmh for years. Luv the penetration from those. Hate buying bulbs. Just completed first run under spider farmer bar style led. Gotta say I'm not disappointed. No hot spots or dim center spots just nice even light. About to start second run under em. Looking forward to posting pics.
it’s not about looks?..
in the end it’s about terpenes and cannabiniods..
most every common name brand led light might pull off a 2% terpene content, top of the line full spectrum led’s are pushing into high 3% ranges like HID lights..

Derbudd420

Derbudd420

it’s not about looks?..
in the end it’s about terpenes and cannabiniods..
most every common name brand led light might pull off a 2% terpene content, top of the line full spectrum led’s are pushing into high 3% ranges like HID lights..
I did run a few strains new to me, so not a good comparison at all. All three as terpy as I am used to tho. The 301b and 301evo might be my go to . A few more runs under the led bars will tell the story. I only have a 7 foot ceiling height so I like the low profile too.

jdog22

jdog22

hmm i found online the 470w spider farmer is equivalent apprently to a 1000w hps and will yeild around the same yeild ? less wattage being the cost factor is all im saying. i dont know crap about leds but was something online i found through fourms.

What LED grow light is equivalent to 1000W HPS?

400W LED Grow Light Can Replace A 1000W HPS…27 Jan 2018

like i said i really dont know alot about it but so much evidence on both sides T.T all i can say is im happy with what im getting with my 600w hps she does fine just cost can be abit shaky.

hope your doing well man be keen to see what your growing now :)
i took a fair bit of your advice with my second grow with the same seeds, no shit the buds have doubled ill be sure to pop a post up

quick edit i live in australia and led price difference against a hps is crazy for 2x 600w hps it made my bill get to 1500$

Last edited:
B

Bdubs

I have deleted 5 times. Your setup will need to ensure a lot of things. Back to the basics comes to mind. Environment stability is #1. Light intensity, type and quality is #2. Nutrients and feeding/watering habits is #3. What are your goals? This reminds me of when I first started and was correcting a lot at the same time. I went fast in my discoveries and killed a lot.

What’s the goal and what’s the budget? The closet tells me low budget. Light is critical and LED is the way to go in a confined space for low heat emitted for limited temp control.

When you switch lights when or if you get them, introduce them to low intensity first if you purchase a variable or adjustable intensity light. I mean low. Because your plants are going to freak out if you throw high intensity and a different light spectrum all at once.

This is complicated to Recommend. Because we need to recommend a lot. But to succeed you need the light and you need low heat emission. Which is LED and Spider Farmer won’t let you down in all regards.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
hey when it comes to having some extra extra money than i’ll be changing to something, but it would be of top quality.. though i’m in no rush as i believe they are just starting to really understand led technology and plant light requirements and need to incorporate it together, hence full spectrum led..

Cmurda48

Cmurda48

I believe I have auto flowers don't know what strain 2 females and one male I have small closet grow and only 3 plants so I was trying to see if I could do something with male with out hurting females so at the first hint of male starting sacks I been deballing it aggressively and cut out top of bud tip that has some pads that start in them I went surgical on it haven't left a ball one what are chances of male doing anything and would it be any good I've heard so much I don't know if I should keep working at it or pull him up I've heard of a chemical that says it can reverse it IDK WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK WILL HAPPEN AND ANY TIPS THAT ARE PROVEN View attachment 2073962
What's proven is the second your male plant starts producing pollen it will turn the other 2 plants make. Pull that fucker. Quickly.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
hmm i found online the 470w spider farmer is equivalent apprently to a 1000w hps and will yeild around the same yeild ? less wattage being the cost factor is all im saying. i dont know crap about leds but was something online i found through fourms.

What LED grow light is equivalent to 1000W HPS?

400W LED Grow Light Can Replace A 1000W HPS…27 Jan 2018

like i said i really dont know alot about it but so much evidence on both sides T.T all i can say is im happy with what im getting with my 600w hps she does fine just cost can be abit shaky.

hope your doing well man be keen to see what your growing now :)
i took a fair bit of your advice with my second grow with the same seeds, no shit the buds have doubled ill be sure to pop a post up

quick edit i live in australia and led price difference against a hps is crazy for 2x 600w hps it made my bill get to 1500$
bullshit.. here’s new tech..
IMG 9529
IMG 9530

B

Bdubs

Yes to all on the make plant. Any one Open stick and ball will pollinate nearby plants. Just the signal of pollen in the air will cause them to stop everything and try to be pollinated.

Scour for stick and ball, smashed looking calyx, premature browning bud hairs and bananas. Like, from here on out.

Greenadian

Greenadian

Supporter
Whats up Homegrownky77 I would say......spend the money on the garage and addition!! Before these two unknown ladies are finish, you'll come across a good deal on a much better light. Then you can sell off the 3 blurples to someone. Next round, you'll be laughing!!
Any chance of some pictures that aren't purple??
Cheers!!

H

Homegrownky77

I appreciated the advice you gave me last time the girls started doing good I've got a problem with little black bugs and pretty much plants just looking stringy thin and a little yellowing at the bottom leaves I've looked at charts and I can't tell what kind of deficiency it might be or if it even is if it ain't the bugs doing it I got some good information from you last time I was wondering if you had any advice on it now
20231202 200339
20231202 200325
20231202 195211
20231202 195001
20231202 194903
20231202 195125

H

Homegrownky77

Whats up Homegrownky77 I would say......spend the money on the garage and addition!! Before these two unknown ladies are finish, you'll come across a good deal on a much better light. Then you can sell off the 3 blurples to someone. Next round, you'll be laughing!!
Any chance of some pictures that aren't purple??
Cheers!!

20231202 200339
20231202 200325
20231202 195844
20231202 195816
20231202 195211
20231202 195125
20231202 195101
Gmix

Gmix

Supporter
Refer to your other thread bud as you have spider mites sadly I added some help on that thread to help you out

Y

yourtreeshugger

Regarding used gear.. I've had great used purchases this last year. Right now I can bet there are people selling their gear cheap as well, due to holiday sales and what not.. heck I got a 720w 8bar Volt grow fl-1 and two ac infinity 6" inlines with controller for only $300... Only used for two grows and is a 5yr warranty light, plus AC infinity..

Volt grows holiday sale has them at $500 shipped which is still a great deal for the light, on par with the progrow 1800 everyone is waiting to get in January due to back order... If you ask me.
Just be smart with used gear. Be thorough when buying stuff, ask questions, clean it well etc..

Top Bottom