New grower pH questions

• Thread starter TinkTHC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TinkTHC

TinkTHC

Hello! I am having issues getting my seeds going and after everything it's pH!!!!! The pH meter I have is broke and I need a new one......after compare testing it....duh that was the problem!!! I need a new one and I need suggestions please! What do meter do others use? Do you test the water pH or the soil pH or both? What meter is most accurate? I would prefer to have a digital meter to test the water and the soil, what two would you buy? And finally what chemicals would you use to adjust the pH? I would love to hear what everyone thinks about this. The marijuana plant is 90% or more water, so the pH is crucial. I also read that pH of 6 is perfect for the plant, is that correct? Opinions please!!! Thanks to everyone

TinkTHC

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
heres my suggestion get some ph indicator a test vial and a few pippets.. Old school chemical testing is the most accurate way to go, These meters are shit..from the cheap to the 50$ one i just returned to amazon, there shit.

Chemical testing is accurate as long as your not color blind :D

Ph indicator is all you need.

TinkTHC

TinkTHC

heres my suggestion get some ph indicator a test vial and a few pippets.. Old school chemical testing is the most accurate way to go, These meters are shit..from the cheap to the 50$ one i just returned to amazon, there shit.

Chemical testing is accurate as long as your not color blind :D

Ph indicator is all you need.
The paper pH strips? Leave me a link please, not color blind :D! Thanks!!

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Hello! I am having issues getting my seeds going and after everything it's pH!!!!! The pH meter I have is broke and I need a new one......after compare testing it....duh that was the problem!!! I need a new one and I need suggestions please! What do meter do others use? Do you test the water pH or the soil pH or both? What meter is most accurate? I would prefer to have a digital meter to test the water and the soil, what two would you buy? And finally what chemicals would you use to adjust the pH? I would love to hear what everyone thinks about this. The marijuana plant is 90% or more water, so the pH is crucial. I also read that pH of 6 is perfect for the plant, is that correct? Opinions please!!! Thanks to everyone

TinkTHC
proper pH depends on your medium. I use drops because metres don't last, got a drawer full of dead ones out there, I don't trust them anymore
Screenshot 20200315 174958 Chrome

TinkTHC

TinkTHC

How do you test the pH of the soil with these kits? After supplements, minerals, vitamins, etc. are added to the water the pH will change how do you adjust it before you add it to the medium? How do you test the pH of the medium? I know I am getting detailed here but everything matters when it's MJ!!:D

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

How do you test the pH of the soil with these kits? After supplements, minerals, vitamins, etc. are added to the water the pH will change how do you adjust it before you add it to the medium? How do you test the pH of the medium? I know I am getting detailed here but everything matters when it's MJ!!:D
I can only tell you what I do: I test the soil with a slurry test when a runoff test doesn't seem to be accurate enough

I use citric acid in a solution to reduce the pH of my water & nutrients, baking soda will work to raise it

TinkTHC

TinkTHC

I can only tell you what I do: I test the soil with a slurry test when a runoff test doesn't seem to be accurate enough

I use citric acid in a solution to reduce the pH of my water & nutrients, baking soda will work to raise it
What citric acid solution & nutrients do you use? I like picking your brain :D Great knowledge!

Tech4523

Tech4523

if you want to use a PH pen the good ones are not cheap...drops or chemical type testing would be cheaper for accuracy.

these are 2 good PH pens..you can order the probe which In theory you could probe the soil but I'd do the slurry test my self either way

20200627 092447
20200627 092431
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

What citric acid solution & nutrients do you use? I like picking your brain :D Great knowledge!

Will hydrated Lime work to decrease pH?
if you want to use a PH pen the good ones are not cheap...drops or chemical type testing would be cheaper for accuracy.

these are 2 good PH pens..you can order the probe which In theory you could probe the soil but I'd do the slurry test my self either way
I personally would never buy anything from Apera; I have two of their meters out there dead right now, but all metres die, however the reason I wouldn't buy from them is they didn't honour their warranty.

Food grade citric acid, mix into a solution, use to lower pH

I add Dolomite lime to my new soil-based mix, and I also use it to add calcium & magnesium and to raise the soil PH if I find it dropping below 6.0

Tech4523

Tech4523

I personally would never buy anything from Apera; I have two of their meters out there dead right now, but all metres die, however the reason I wouldn't buy from them is they didn't honour their warranty.

Food grade citric acid, mix into a solution, use to lower pH

I add Dolomite lime to my new soil-based mix, and I also use it to add calcium & magnesium and to raise the soil PH if I find it dropping below 6.0
Good to know about Apera I use the Bluelabs my self atm.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

TinkTHC

Ph of the water would not likely affect seed germination.

Proper ph is different for different mediums. 6.5 is what ocean forest is set at with oyster shell. And pro mix hp is about 6.2 ph and uses dolomite and calcitic line to stay there.

Read about alkalinity in water and gardening to learn how ph is affected.

In purchased potting soil i think ec (ppm) is much more important to monitor. The ph range plants can take up nutrients is actually much wider than the common (incorrect) chart posted on the internet. The original was provided by general hydroponics to sell ph up and down to gardeners who dont understand alkalinity.

Hope this helps. Micromanaging ph can cause problems.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Will hydrated Lime work to decrease pH?
I’m sure beachwalker will be back , but no it will not it can be added to your medium as a buffer to help RAISE ph. But it’s slow acting and usually don’t see right away

As beachwalker stated citrus acid is used to lower ph such as lemon juice or lime juice.
To raise the ph baking soda is a greAt non chemical way

Moshmen

Moshmen

Thanks for your kind words! Missed the second half of your question, I use Masterblend, very inexpensive and it's my fave of the few products I've tried

Told ya he would be back to explain ! How you doin today @Beachwalker

Moshmen

Moshmen

Wow sorry ya all I missed half the conversation! Sticking my nose in ! Lol
Sorry tech

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I’m sure beachwalker will be back , but no it will not it can be added to your medium as a buffer to help RAISE ph. But it’s slow acting and usually don’t see right away

As beachwalker stated citrus acid is used to lower ph such as lemon juice or lime juice.
To raise the ph baking soda is a greAt non chemical way

Just to add to this. Hydrated lime is not recommended as it is easy to over lime and it works very fast. Powdered calcitic and dolomite lime is preferred.

And baking soda is salt. I wouldnt add too much.

If ph adjustment is needed and it usually is not proper ph up and down are reasonably priced and work better.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Just to add to this. Hydrated lime is not recommended as it is easy to over lime and it works very fast. Powdered calcitic and dolomite lime is preferred.

And baking soda is salt. I wouldnt add too much.

If ph adjustment is needed and it usually is not proper ph up and down are reasonably priced and work better.
I would disagree with "better" I've used the GH product and some other bottled brand and I wouldn't give up my citric acid for anything! It's a fraction of the price of the pre-bottled products and seems to hold pH just as long too (not recommended for hydro)
20190818 115524

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I would disagree with "better" I've used the GH product and some other bottled brand and I wouldn't give up my citric acid for anything! It's a fraction of the price of the pre-bottled products and I think it holds pH longer too
View attachment 992469

Fair enough. Thats a pure acid. I really meant lemon juice, vinegar and the like. They dont work for long and break right down.

Top Bottom