New grower pH questions

• Thread starter TinkTHC
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

suggested the moist paper towel in sandwich bag. never measured the pH of the water at this stage/phase myself (no need to, for me), this paper towel technique for me is as close to 'guaranteed' germination.

others place the seeds into tepid water, those that sink is a good sign - then after soaking in water for a while, then sow the seed directly into grow medium.

some even treat the seeds in some 'special' solution, some score the seed lightly with a knife...etc

i'm sure that there are other methods....but the fundamentals are the same, no?

TinkTHC

TinkTHC

yup, point of saturation, information overload. this is where I'm saying slow down.

don't ya do some basic botanics at home - tending to some household plants? we got some flowering plants, grow some herbs, in our city apartment. used to have a vegie patch and huge front & back yards before. most ppl would have this basic botanic experience.

treat it like a vegetative or fruit plant - you don't have to get too scientific about it all. nice soil or grow medium, good light, good warmth/humidity, watering/feeding regime and you probably got most of it on the correct path. it's where i'm saying keep it simple.

main aim is to get the grow going & get some results early, then you can get into fine tuning with all this science. tackle issues as they arise, though always good prevention to avoid issues in the first place.

what's the condition of your tap water? have you used the water to grow plants (other household plants even)? how does your plants react to such watering?

just get the seeds popped, and whack into some commercial potting mix, mixed with some more perlite, into a small pot. it's a good start....
I have a regular outdoor garden with flowers and shrubs but no herbs or flowering plants. I have indoor plants that do fine with my water and I do have basic botanic experience. My downfall is I have a bachelors degree in Science/Biology. I learned a lot about organic, general, and biochemistry as well as plant biology so I over analyze. This is my first experience with indoor mj growing. I am so excited so I have built my own lab, stocked it with lights, tent, equipment, etc. I don't have the everyday knowledge that I have found here but only what I have learned from College. I am very grateful to have others help me with things like using canning products(citric acid) from the grocery store to adjust pH because I automatically go to Amazon for pH up and down. I don't know the ins and outs of gardening old school, I use what I learned in college and that is not helping me. I do need help learning old fashion gardening because I was never taught how I only know what I learned out of a book. And it sucks also it is more expensive:D!!!! I appreciate all your advice and opinions and at this point I wish I grew up on a farm:D!!!!!!

TinkTHC

TinkTHC

suggested the moist paper towel in sandwich bag. never measured the pH of the water at this stage/phase myself (no need to, for me), this paper towel technique for me is as close to 'guaranteed' germination.

others place the seeds into tepid water, those that sink is a good sign - then after soaking in water for a while, then sow the seed directly into grow medium.

some even treat the seeds in some 'special' solution, some score the seed lightly with a knife...etc

i'm sure that there are other methods....but the fundamentals are the same, no?
Got it !! :D!!

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

I have a regular outdoor garden with flowers and shrubs but no herbs or flowering plants. I have indoor plants that do fine with my water and I do have basic botanic experience. My downfall is I have a bachelors degree in Science/Biology. I learned a lot about organic, general, and biochemistry as well as plant biology so I over analyze. This is my first experience with indoor mj growing. I am so excited so I have built my own lab, stocked it with lights, tent, equipment, etc. I don't have the everyday knowledge that I have found here but only what I have learned from College. I am very grateful to have others help me with things like using canning products(citric acid) from the grocery store to adjust pH because I automatically go to Amazon for pH up and down. I don't know the ins and outs of gardening old school, I use what I learned in college and that is not helping me. I do need help learning old fashion gardening because I was never taught how I only know what I learned out of a book. And it sucks also it is more expensive:D!!!! I appreciate all your advice and opinions and at this point I wish I grew up on a farm:D!!!!!!

fair enuff.

okay, put this into its perspective - i bought 250 ml bottle of pH Up and pH Down maybe $20 AUD - and i dilute 1 ml of these solutions into 1 litre of water, and bottle it (this diluted pH Up/Down solution) to use it to make the adjustments. I think in 6 months I used maybe 2 mls of each solution in making the diluted pH Up/Down solutions. I won't be buying another bottle of these pH Up/Down solutions for a long time, as long as they keep

one solution is far stronger than the other - these 250 mls bottles is like commercial volume for me! i've got 9 plants growing in this 6 months.

my downfall is that i have an economics and arts degree.

Last edited:
TinkTHC

TinkTHC

fair enuff.

okay, put this into its perspective - i bought 250 ml bottle of pH Up and pH Down maybe $20 AUD - and i dilute 1 ml of these solutions into 1 litre of water, and bottle it (this diluted pH Up/Down solution) to use it to make the adjustments. I think in 6 months I used maybe 2 mls of each solution in making the diluted pH Up/Down solutions. I won't be buying another bottle of these pH Up/Down solutions for a long time, as long as they keep

one solution is far stronger than the other - these 250 mls bottles is like commercial volume for me!
What do you keep your pH at?

TinkTHC

TinkTHC

fair enuff.

one solution is far stronger than the other - these 250 mls bottles is like commercial volume for me! i've got 9 plants growing in this 6 months.

my downfall is that i have an economics and arts degree.
What's wrong with economics and art? You my friend can grow!!!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

What do you think is causing my germination problem if it's not the pH of the water? I have tried the paper towel method with distilled water, tap water, and bottled water. I ordered the seeds from Amsterdam and they are female seeds. Anyone see something I don't?

I use a moist with unadjusted well water coffee filter in a plastic sandwich baggie left open and inside a dark box on a heat mat set to 78 degrees farenheight.

Anytime i have trouble germinating it is always because of cold temps or too wet coffee filter.

There is no need for distilled or ro water.

You say you got seeds from amsterdam. What company?

TinkTHC

TinkTHC

I use a moist with unadjusted well water coffee filter in a plastic sandwich baggie left open and inside a dark box on a heat mat set to 78 degrees farenheight.

Anytime i have trouble germinating it is always because of cold temps or too wet coffee filter.

There is no need for distilled or ro water.

You say you got seeds from amsterdam. What company?
Coffee filter! Multi purpose....LOL!!! Love it!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Coffee filter! Multi purpose....LOL!!! Love it!

Paper towels and cotton pads tend to stick to the roots. Coffee filter does not. But be careful the tap rooted seed can roll right off.

Here is my hack germination station.

E1ECE1DE CE2D 4B9F 83BE FFEFAC04D903

Yes its a tortilla warmer I stole from Mrs. MMG’s kitchen.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

yes, the roots sometimes does get into the paper towel. i haven't lost a tap root yet, knock on wood - but i can see that danger.

any seed is precious, but especially ones bought. a hard lesson for beginners, including myself, is burning some precious seeds.

again, you get better at not doing things badly.

Top Bottom