New grower

• Thread starter ninjadip
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

But how cold is the question, 70 is good enough?
68-70f plant temps not air temps.

Anthocyanins do best below 70f and where photosynthesis is lower. So cutting nitrogen and dropping plant temps is the key to maximizing your color expression

ninjadip

ninjadip

68-70f plant temps not air temps.

Anthocyanins do best below 70f and where photosynthesis is lower. So cutting nitrogen and dropping plant temps is the key to maximizing your color expression
What do you mean by plant temps not air? The water temp?
I'm sorry, I'm not following, I thought the air temp is the plant temp.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What do you mean by plant temps not air? The water temp?
I'm sorry, I'm not following, I thought the air temp is the plant temp.
Use an IR temp gun to check the actual temperature of the plant. Under LED its use 4-5f cooler than air temps but plants temps unlike air temps a couple degrees makes a big difference.

ninjadip

ninjadip

Use an IR temp gun to check the actual temperature of the plant. Under LED its use 4-5f cooler than air temps but plants temps unlike air temps a couple degrees makes a big difference.
oh wow! i thought i had all the tools, but here is another one. Can i just assume that the temp is 5f cooler than the air temp without the gun? or does it vary depending on tent volume/plant ratio?
Interesting, thanks cause I love learning the science of it all!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

oh wow! i thought i had all the tools, but here is another one. Can i just assume that the temp is 5f cooler than the air temp without the gun? or does it vary depending on tent volume/plant ratio?
Interesting, thanks cause I love learning the science of it all!
They are like $30 and should also be used to calculate VPD. Most underrated and underutilized tool in a grow room

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Inkbird Infrared Thermometer for Cooking Temperature Gun, Laser Thermometer Gun Digital for Pizza Oven and Reptiles, -58℉~1022℉ (INK-IFT01)
https://a.co/d/hgM9r4f

Like $23 US

ninjadip

ninjadip

They are like $30 and should also be used to calculate VPD. Most underrated and underutilized tool in a grow room
oh cool, just read some info on VPD, never heard of it before. I do think I was facing a low VPD point before I added the intake fan. Now I am very confident about the air exchange in the tent, the growth rate increased exponentially when I added the fan. I bought a smaller sized intake fan vs the exhaust based on a forum. I then put it on a cycle timer, 5 on /20 off, so that the air is exchanged every so often.

Below is a picture of when the intake fan is on, swelled tent, and when it is off, awesome negative pressure.

RH levels vary from 50-65% during air flush.

I did just buy a moisture meter to help with the drying phase when that time comes, I thought that was going to be my rare tool lol.

20220801 161847 COLLAGE
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

oh cool, just read some info on VPD, never heard of it before. I do think I was facing a low VPD point before I added the intake fan. Now I am very confident about the air exchange in the tent, the growth rate increased exponentially when I added the fan. I bought a smaller sized intake fan vs the exhaust based on a forum. I then put it on a cycle timer, 5 on /20 off, so that the air is exchanged every so often.

Below is a picture of when the intake fan is on, swelled tent, and when it is off, awesome negative pressure.

RH levels vary from 50-65% during air flush.

I did just buy a moisture meter to help with the drying phase when that time comes, I thought that was going to be my rare tool lol.
You must take leaf temps into account using VPD. I would leave the fan on all the time. Co2 replenishment is important. Not a big deal in the early stages but as they grow they can deplete co2 very fast.

Some reading on VPD here.

Reactions: PK1
ninjadip

ninjadip

You must take leaf temps into account using VPD. I would leave the fan on all the time. Co2 replenishment is important. Not a big deal in the early stages but as they grow they can deplete co2 very fast.

Some reading on VPD here.

I have a small CO2 bag in there, but I am not confident that it produces enough CO2 to be sealed. So by having the intake fan off for a period I believe the plants are getting some nice doses of CO2. The intake fan helps me get rid of all the moisture from the plants perspiring in there.
I think the CO2 is also contributing to my nice plant growth. I put a cheap sensor in there and I got up to 900 at times between fan cycles, but I am not confident in the $10 Amazon sensor. It does read 350 outside of tent which is expected.
I am just too nervous about making it completely sealed because of humidity, and don't want to go the route of a commercial dehumidifier.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have a small CO2 bag in there, but I am not confident that it produces enough CO2 to be sealed. So by having the intake fan off for a period I believe the plants are getting some nice doses of CO2. The intake fan helps me get rid of all the moisture from the plants perspiring in there.
I think the CO2 is also contributing to my nice plant growth. I put a cheap sensor in there and I got up to 900 at times between fan cycles, but I am not confident in the $10 Amazon sensor. It does read 350 outside of tent which is expected.
I am just too nervous about making it completely sealed because of humidity, and don't want to go the route of a commercial dehumidifier.
Yeah dont seal it unless you have the equipment and in a tent i don’t recommend it unless its a very large tent and even then.

Controlling humidity is very key

Reactions: PK1
ninjadip

ninjadip

Ok so I believe it is putting out some CO2 in there. That bag looks like it's in full swing but idk, never seen one before.

PXL 20220802 202508828
PXL 20220802 205946945
PXL 20220802 202514371
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok so I believe it is putting out some CO2 in there. That bag looks like it's in full swing but idk, never seen one before.
I run bottled co2 but looks like your bag is producing co2 as far as i can tell

ninjadip

ninjadip

I will be posting any new grow pics in the Hydroponics Diaries

Latest posts

Top Bottom