New growth yellow. What is this ?

• Thread starter Steve705
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Steve705

Steve705

Hey guys. I’ll try and give a quick rundown. The front 3 are gelato photos and the back 3 are wedding cake photos. In 2 gal fabric pots. Promix HP and Gia green all purpose 4-4-4. Mixed at about 3/4 of what they recommend. Added perlite too. About 15 percent. I’m running 23C with 60 RH. Tap water dechlorinated at 6.4-6.5PH. Ppm of water is 160. watering with no runoff. Did a recent soil test and PH was a tad high (6.7 ish). The left and right front gelatos have yellow all over the new growth and some on the bottom. I thought it might have been light burn. I used a light meter and it was through the roof. I’m now adjusted at 35’000 Lux and 800 PPFD. The lights were adjusted about 5 days ago. it seems to have made its way down the bottom of one plants and doesn’t look like anything is getting better. Im having a hard time trying to pin this one. Any input would be amazing.

New growth yellow  what is this
New growth yellow  what is this 2
New growth yellow  what is this 3
New growth yellow  what is this 4
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
i’m growing gelatos now, i have a bunch of vids up too,
they are heavy eaters! they love humidity!
top, lst, they are good.
ok, it could be one of a few things wrong
ph
over/under watering
a nutrient deficiency
light/heat stress
kinda like a checklist of stuff to check

ozarkgrey

ozarkgrey

Supporter
would you be surprised if i suggested it was either a chlorine or manganese deficiency? i would skip the dechlorinator if its a chem your using

Ph 007

Ph 007

Ph 6.7 should be fine, I think leds can cause cal mag deficiency I have soft water I used leds and soft water Nutrients and get no problems.
but in my veg tent I changed from my t5 light iv used for Veg for years tried a led in their with Nutrients not designed specifically for soft water and I had sorta same problems as you but charged light back to t5s and problems went away. You seem to have hard water anyway so might not be cal mag deficiency, could be lock out I'm sure I can see the odd leaf claw and what almost looks like but if burnt tip, try just water and root feed for 1/2 feeds see how the respond

What I mean is leds are apparently know to cause cal mag deficiency even in soil, iv only been using leds for few months so new to me

Ph 007

Ph 007

If they drinking well its not lockout, maybe try upp the feed then, that's what I would do feed about 1.2 e.c / 600ppm, ph 6.5

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Hey guys. I’ll try and give a quick rundown. The front 3 are gelato photos and the back 3 are wedding cake photos. In 2 gal fabric pots. Promix HP and Gia green all purpose 4-4-4. Mixed at about 3/4 of what they recommend. Added perlite too. About 15 percent. I’m running 23C with 60 RH. Tap water dechlorinated at 6.4-6.5PH. Ppm of water is 160. watering with no runoff. Did a recent soil test and PH was a tad high (6.7 ish). The left and right front gelatos have yellow all over the new growth and some on the bottom. I thought it might have been light burn. I used a light meter and it was through the roof. I’m now adjusted at 35’000 Lux and 800 PPFD. The lights were adjusted about 5 days ago. it seems to have made its way down the bottom of one plants and doesn’t look like anything is getting better. Im having a hard time trying to pin this one. Any input would be amazing.
Your pH is too high for promix, 6.2 is best

Recommend adjusting pH and doing a foliar spray of one level tablespoon Epsom salt per gallon of water two days in a row should straighten things out good luck

Edit: could possibly be the start of a potassium lockout due to the high ph and maybe not magnesium?

I have an appointment right now I'll check back in later Steve, heres a picture, before you spray magnesium as I recommended above search potassium and magnesium deficiencies and see which you think it is

Screenshot 20200402 095954 Google

Last edited:
Steve705

Steve705

Your pH is too high for promix, 6.2 is best

Recommend adjusting pH and doing a foliar spray of one level tablespoon Epsom salt per gallon of water two days in a row should straighten things out good luck

Edit: could possibly be the start of a potassium lockout due to the high ph and maybe not magnesium?

I have an appointment right now I'll check back in later Steve, heres a picture, before you spray magnesium as I recommended above search potassium and magnesium deficiencies and see which you think it is

View attachment 956606
Thank you beach. Potassium looks and sounds about right. What would be a good option to get the PH of the soil lower ? I will lower the PH of the water next watering to 6ish but I think that won’t technically lower the ph of the soil because the soil will just buffer it back up. Am I correct about that ? What are some good ways to lower the soil PH ?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ah man ph stuff, sooo many opinions.
your in soil, your attempts to fix things should never include ph stuff first. (please members don’t chew me out). find out the deficiency than adjust your nutes to include what you need, kinda like a basement scientist, kinda have a checklist off stuff to check off first, though you really have to know what your plants are telling you by how they look (takes a few years of experience).
i’ve rarely or ever had to fix my plant problems with ph stuff.
just a thought, maybe something to google.
@Beachwalker said he’ll be back here soon to help you out and guide you..

Steve705

Steve705

ah man ph stuff, sooo many opinions.
your in soil, your attempts to fix things should never include ph stuff first. (please members don’t chew me out). find out the deficiency than adjust your nutes to include what you need, kinda like a basement scientist, kinda have a checklist off stuff to check off first, though you really have to know what your plants are telling you by how they look (takes a few years of experience).
i’ve rarely or ever had to fix my plant problems with ph stuff.
just a thought, maybe something to google.
@Beachwalker said he’ll be back here soon to help you out and guide you..
Thanks. Fist time trying organic (Gia green). I’ve had Successful grows with bottle feeding and I think I’ve dialed that in pretty good. Wanted to try something different this time and I’m unsure how to tackle it as I have zero experience with growing organically. I think I’m getting close to figuring out what’s wrong. 🤷🏼‍♂️

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
like most of us, you know already kinda, just want some confirmation..
nice plants in your profile, lots of photos.
wish i’ve taken more photos over the years, now i am. lots of memories though😁

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thank you beach. Potassium looks and sounds about right. What would be a good option to get the PH of the soil lower ? I will lower the PH of the water next watering to 6ish but I think that won’t technically lower the ph of the soil because the soil will just buffer it back up. Am I correct about that ? What are some good ways to lower the soil PH ?
Its Promix so I would flush it out w/ plain 6.2 water, I can send you the link when I get a chance from promix themself they say their product is 6.2 and that's what I use in my Pro mix

They're definitely fed well by how green they are so I suspect high pH is your issue, and these steps should take care of it

not sure what's going to happen to the damage Leaf area, it's close but it might be beyond healing, so it may manifest as Leaf damage?

Its not magnesium so disregard the Magnesium foliar spray I mentioned above, good luck!

Steve705

Steve705

Its Promix so I would flush it out w/ plain 6.2 water, I can send you the link when I get a chance from promix themself they say their product is 6.2 and that's what I use in my Pro mix

They're definitely fed well by how green they are so I suspect high pH is your issue, and these steps should take care of it

not sure what's going to happen to the damage Leaf area, it's close but it might be beyond healing, so it may manifest as Leaf damage?

Its not magnesium so disregard the Magnesium foliar spray I mentioned above, good luck!
Thanks again beech. was under the impression I shouldn’t flush when I’m organic growing. Is this true ? If I just feed plain and ph water at a lower scale (6 ish) won’t the soil just buffer it ?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thanks again beech. was under the impression I shouldn’t flush when I’m organic growing. Is this true ? If I just feed plain and ph water at a lower scale (6 ish) won’t the soil just buffer it ?
I saw this post in general, I didn't know you were growing organic! I don't know anything about that?! Hold on for somebody else, I don't even know an organic grower that I could tag in? Sorry, I didn't mean to purposely mislead you, if in fact flushing is a thing you're not supposed to do??

I suspect what you mentioned above would work I was recommending the Quick Fix but honestly I don't have any experience in Organics so you best check with someone else, it certainly won't hurt to get that pH in line tho, just take a while longer is all

Steve705

Steve705

I saw this post in general, I didn't know you were growing organic! I don't know anything about that?! Hold on for somebody else, I don't even know an organic grower that I could tag in? Sorry, I didn't mean to purposely mislead you, if in fact flushing is a thing you're not supposed to do??

I suspect what you mentioned above would work I was recommending the Quick Fix but honestly I don't have any experience in Organics so you best check with someone else, it certainly won't hurt to get that pH in line tho, just take a while longer is all
Thanks again man. Much appreciated

Latest posts

Top Bottom