new here..would love advice on 1st indoor grow..pics & specifics in post

• Thread starter Winnies.buds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Winnies.buds

Winnies.buds

Howdy, name's Matt. glad to be amongst fellow dude & dudette growers and thank yawl in advance for your feedback~

started my 1st indoor grow last month & need some guidance/suggestions

pics are today at 4 weeks

autoflower bruce banner

3 gal fabric pots

6 pots, 3 of which are twins (2 plants) which is just an experiment to see yield per sq. ft. grow space

miracle grow potting mix since seedlings

2 single led 24w bulbs since germination

added 1000w led w/ dimmer 2 weeks ago. 1st week I had light distance about 12-16 in and full on (think i got light burn) so this past week I raised light to 26-30 in and dimmed to 80%

watering with well water which is hard to saturation (3-4 cups) every 3-4 days (trying to let grow medium to dry out)

So i'm looking for feedback & am questioning;
1. if there are any nutrients left in grow media & concerned i may be slowly starving them
2. how to measure nutrients and what tools you like to measure
3. if i'm over or under watering them
4. lighting recommendations (distance & percentage of 1000w)

Thanks guys & gals~

New herewould love advice on 1st indoor growpics  specifics in post
New herewould love advice on 1st indoor growpics  specifics in post 2
New herewould love advice on 1st indoor growpics  specifics in post 3
New herewould love advice on 1st indoor growpics  specifics in post 4
New herewould love advice on 1st indoor growpics  specifics in post 5
New herewould love advice on 1st indoor growpics  specifics in post 6
New herewould love advice on 1st indoor growpics  specifics in post 7
New herewould love advice on 1st indoor growpics  specifics in post 8
New herewould love advice on 1st indoor growpics  specifics in post 9
Last edited:
SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

Howdy, name's Matt. glad to be amongst fellow dude & dudette growers and thank yawl in advance for your feedback~

started my 1st indoor grow last month & need some guidance/suggestions

pics are today at 4 weeks

autoflower bruce banner

3 gal fabric pots

6 pots, 3 of which are twins (2 plants) which is just an experiment to see yield per sq. ft. grow space

miracle grow potting mix since seedlings

2 single led 24w bulbs since germination

added 1000w led w/ dimmer 2 weeks ago. 1st week I had light distance about 12-16 in and full on (think i got light burn) so this past week I raised light to 26-30 in and dimmed to 80%

watering with well water which is hard to saturation (3-4 cups) every 3-4 days (trying to let grow medium to dry out)

So i'm looking for feedback & am questioning;
1. if there are any nutrients left in grow media & concerned i may be slowly starving them
2. how to measure nutrients and what tools you like to measure
3. if i'm over or under watering them
4. lighting recommendations (distance & percentage of 1000w)

Thanks guys & gals~
Miracle grow is not good to grow in. You should get a EC meter or ppm meter and use it to measure feed water before feeding. Bluelab is a good brand.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

If you are growing in miracle gro, do not feed. Water only. It's already pre-loaded with food.
You will need to supplement only.

BlueLab is crazy expensive for a pH pen. And you will not need to worry about pH anyway. Your Miracle gro auto-adjusts the pH. Mess with it and you can cause issues.

You need to be very aware of your watering in that soil.

Basic Watering

Watering SOIL

Winnies.buds

Winnies.buds

If you are growing in miracle gro, do not feed. Water only. It's already pre-loaded with food.
You will need to supplement only.

BlueLab is crazy expensive for a pH pen. And you will not need to worry about pH anyway. Your Miracle gro auto-adjusts the pH. Mess with it and you can cause issues.

You need to be very aware of your watering in that soil.

Basic Watering

Watering SOIL
Thanks comfortablynumb I appreciate the links to watering!
What do you mean when you say supplement only?? Supplement what & when? When my babies start flowering?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Thanks comfortablynumb I appreciate the links to watering!
What do you mean when you say supplement only?? Supplement what & when? When my babies start flowering?
Pretty much. Keep an eye on them for color changes and such. Water them with regular filtered drinking water.

Winnies.buds

Winnies.buds

My woes using MG potting mix are forcing me to learn proper watering techniques!!

Update on where I'm at today:
Ordered a water meter which should arrive by the weekend. Once I get the meter I plan to allow all plants to dry out proper then use the simplified watering technique shared by ComfortablyNumb! Sounds like a sweet idea & will post updates.

Today I weighed a pot of dry media.
Then weighed each plant and subtracted weight of dry media to get an approximate water weight in each pot.
Gallon of water is 8.3 lbs. So I got an approximate amount of water in each plant.
3 gal pots full of media had water volumes between .3 gal & .8 gal. Last watered 36 hours ago.

The plants that are showing signs of over feeding & over watering had a significant higher water volume than the others.

I believe my over watering brought on nute burn since I'm using MG which is saturated with nutes!

My question to y'all is whether I should trim damaged leaves now or wait till plants dry out to trim or wait till they fall off themselves?

I'm planning to use Coast Of Maine Stonington Blend on next grow. Does anyone used that product? Results?

Thanks~

20220105 195332
20220105 195314
20220105 195309
20220105 195255
Screenshot 20220105 200223 Chrome
Last edited:
SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

My woes using MG potting mix are forcing me to learn proper watering techniques!!

Update on where I'm at today:
Ordered a water meter which should arrive by the weekend. Once I get the meter I plan to allow all plants to dry out proper then use the simplified watering technique shared by ComfortablyNumb! Sounds like a sweet idea & will post updates.

Today I weighed a pot of dry media.
Then weighed each plant and subtracted weight of dry media to get an approximate water weight in each pot.
Gallon of water is 8.3 lbs. So I got an approximate amount of water in each plant.
3 gal pots full of media had water volumes between .3 gal & .8 gal. Last watered 36 hours ago.

The plants that are showing signs of over feeding & over watering had a significant higher water volume than the others.

I believe my over watering brought on nute burn since I'm using MG which is saturated with nutes!

My question to y'all is whether I should trim damaged leaves now or wait till plants dry out to trim or wait till they fall off themselves?

I'm planning to use Coast Of Maine Stonington Blend on next grow. Does anyone used that product? Results?

Thanks~
You want to stay away from anything with a slow release of nitrogen.

Winnies.buds

Winnies.buds

Improved my grow space creating a more stable & suited environment.

Ad on better watering techniques and it seems to have eliminated the stress I was creating on my plants.

Also I am learning patience is key.

They are doing so much better! Thanks to sofakinghigh & comfortably numb for the comments~
20220108 163201
20220108 154910
20220108 154919
20220108 154933

Winnies.buds

Winnies.buds

6th week progress

Lost a plant this week to underwatering!!

Amateur move, only checked 2 of 6 plants in morning & when I went to water in the evening 1 in the back was totally drooped. Tried to save her but wasn't successful.

Now with the good;

Improved environment with more light, more insulation/stabilized temp at 74° (it's Cold in Connecticut), better spacing & better air circulation.
20220116 194158
20220116 194236
20220116 194311
20220116 194320

Last edited:
Winnies.buds

Winnies.buds

Training 101 for me;

Out of topping, fimming & manipulation..I favor manipulation with my autos~

Bending the bigger fan leaves under the new growth (without putting to much stress on them) has shown much more reward here in CT mid winter~
20220117 143101

tom29625

tom29625

Looks good.
Have flipped to 12-12?
Defoliation will be your friend, if want it to be.
Some defoliate....some don't.
There's 3 things a old grower told me....

1) It's only worth what another will pay.
2) Never seen a plant chop it's own head off.
3) And the one that sticks with me....I grow bud's.. not leaf's!!

Check out defoliation.

Patience....

IMG 20211222 140817456
Winnies.buds

Winnies.buds

Looks good.
Have flipped to 12-12?
Defoliation will be your friend, if want it to be.
Some defoliate....some don't.
There's 3 things a old grower told me....

1) It's only worth what another will pay.
2) Never seen a plant chop it's own head off.
3) And the one that sticks with me....I grow bud's.. not leaf's!!

Check out defoliation.

Patience....
Tom, i love the Wisdom, thanks~

Winnies.buds

Winnies.buds

Been spending a little time each day grooming these babies!

10 weeks from seed

Props to ComfortablyNumb, gnick55, sofakinghigh & tom29625 for knowledge & well wishes!
20220209 162726

20220209 162932
Edinburgh

Edinburgh

U lucked out, must b a very hardy strain, miracle grow is no good for weed bc it contains food so everytime you water you feed, this can overwhelm ur plants, mix allso contains sodium (salt) next time use fox farm ocean forest. Looks good.

Winnies.buds

Winnies.buds

U lucked out, must b a very hardy strain, miracle grow is no good for weed bc it contains food so everytime you water you feed, this can overwhelm ur plants, mix allso contains sodium (salt) next time use fox farm ocean forest. Looks good.
It definitely has been more difficult because of the MG..forced me to be really attentive & I learned alot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom