New Jersey Medical Just Passed!

• Thread starter greyfx
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

fuzzy

very cool

Very cool G!Whats that make now,13 states.Is that like the first 13 colonies.lol Now its time for the others to just give up and join in.Like oh, i dont know, say Txs.I wished. peace,fuzzy

hubcap

hubcap

hard to believe jersey is one of the few 'progressive' ones....

given californias sad state of financial affairs, legalization, there, seems like a no-brainer, considering its all over there, and everyone knows it!

go california!!

go jersey
!!

my question, now, is this....

if i have a card,(legal med patient) can i still get fired from a job for failing a'whiz quiz'??????

K

kill-9

Medical Cards or Recommendations are no safeguard from getting fired. The courts still side on the employers over "drugs in the workplace".

Just remember that the card is voluntarily, you only need a doctor's recommendation to be legit. A card can put you on the state map, so when an anybody does a background search? I dont know if it would show up or not. I am not sure if the card itself falls under the doctor-patient priveledge. However the recommendation DOES, and no one can know about that.

Just be clean during job searches and find out if they do random drug tests once hired. Of course dont ask the employer or any employees as they would automatically suspect.

A

akaKGB

or anothr alternative is to get a marinol perscription which is a legally prescribed form of THC to have as back up even feds recognize this perscription so anybody with a job should try and get this as a back up plan in case your hurt or something...its the best way of on the job coverage ....KGB p.s. of course you dont actually take the stuff..its junk...KGB

hubcap

hubcap

oh man....
background checks...
didnt even think of that....

im certain this could only be detrimental....?

just glad the states, at least, are starting to see the light

-h c -

D

Donk Frog

Best to be self employed (legally) that way no piss test. I run my own Business never been happier.

Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket

I think that's more like 15 or 16 now. NM was 13. MI 14 or 15? I loose track.

No matter, this economic crisis is gonna make Cali's attempt at legalization with taxation a reality. Then others will see the $$ light.

YJ

F

Fred Norris

it is written into the rhode island law that workplaces can not discriminate against medical users.

No school, employer or landlord may refuse to enroll, employ or lease to or otherwise penalize a person solely for his or her status as a registered qualifying patient or a registered primary caregiver.

ConceptOfSleep

ConceptOfSleep

Oh yeah... Damn proud that this passed! Now it heads to Assembly and then onto the Gov's desk to be signed!

Way to go Jersey!!

ConceptOfSleep

ConceptOfSleep

Figured I would post this here guys! Looks like anyone from NJ needs to start harrassing their Assemblymen ASAP!!! :dance

The Star Ledger said:
N.J. Senate approves bill allowing use of medical marijuana
by Susan K. Livio/The Star-Ledger
Monday February 23, 2009, 7:31 PM

The state Senate voted today to legalize marijuana for medical use, despite warnings the drug would fall into the hands of recreational users instead of the chronically ill patients who suffer from debilitating symptoms.

The New Jersey Compassionate Use Medical Marijuana Act targets patients suffering from a debilitating disease defined as cancer, glaucoma, HIV and AIDS, and other chronic illnesses that cause "wasting syndrome, severe or chronic pain, seizures and severe and persistent muscle spasms," according to the bill.

Star-Ledger File Photo
Sen. Nicholas Scutari

"We are not talking about drug addicts and thrill-seekers -- we are talking about desperately sick people in need of relief," Sen. Nicholas Scutari (D-Union), one of the bill's sponsors, said before the vote.

In order to participate, patients would need a written recommendation from their doctor and approval from the state Department of Health and Senior Services, which would issue identification cards. Enrolled patients would be protected from criminal prosecution to possess up to six plants or one ounce of marijuana.

The state would also license "compassion centers" that would grow and distribute the plants, according to the bill.

"This is a vote of conscience," Sen. Raymond Lesniak (D-Union) said. "My conscience tells me we should ease people's pain and suffering, and give them hope. . .God knows they have suffered enough."

But Sen. Fred Madden (D-Gloucester) argued the bill's language is too broad, and could replicate the kinds of abuses seen in San Diego and Los Angeles, "where some doctors are giving marijuana essentially for every ailment they could think of" -- from premenstrual syndrome, attention deficit disorder and schizophrenia, Madden said.

Sen. Gerald Cardinale (R-Bergen) said the legislation would "make sense" if it had been written to benefit the most "severely debilitated patients" like the terminally ill. As is, however, "it's the wrong thing for people in New Jersey and the wrong thing for our children," he said.

The Senate approved the bill by a vote of 22-16 with two abstentions.

"God bless them," Stephen Cuspilich, a 46-year-old Burlington County man diagnosed with Crohn's disease, said immediately after the vote. Should the measure become law, he said access to legal marijuana would enable him to stop taking five of the sick medications he requires to control cramping and nausea caused by the chronic inflammatory disease of the gastrointestinal tract.

As someone who has used the illegal drug to quell nausea and other symptoms associated with the chronic lung and digestive disease cystic fibrosis, Gareth Muchmore, a 22-year-old man from Vernon, said he prefers government to be involved with the testing and regulation of medical marijuana.

"If the government grew it, the potency could be controlled and the amount could be controlled," said Muchmore, who donned a suit and made his first trip to the state capital to show his support for the bill. "It should be in the hands of trusted officials, not just patients."

New Jersey would be the 14th state to create a sanctioned medical marijuana program if the legislation passes both houses and is signed into law by the governor.

But the legislation still has a long way to go.

There's been no movement on the Assembly version of the bill, sponsored by Assemblymen Reed Gusciora, (D-Mercer), Michael Patrick Carroll (R-Morris) and Assemblyman Joan Voss (D-Hudson). And opponents said they are gearing up to defeat the measure if it gains any momentum in the Assembly.

"There is no doubt in my mind the Assembly will be very cautious dealing with this," John Tomicki said, the executive director of the League of American Families. "Parents are alarmed they've given the green light for marijuana use."

David Evans an attorney and executive director of the Drug Free School Coalition, a national group, said his organization will mobilize to challenge the bill in the lower house. "This is dressed up as compassion but this bill is way, way too loose," Evans said. "It will be too easy to get marijuana."

Source: NJ.com

Way to go New Jersey!!! I can hold my head up proud to be a Jersey boy today!

:smiley_joint:

G

greyfx

Time to get people to start writing, the more states that pass the better.

hubcap

hubcap

watch it as it happened...

senator even said...
"You can all celebrate, later!"

LOL

then he makes a michael phelps joke.
pick it up @ 1:00 into the clip......

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDerqg7G2iI[/youtube]

hubcap

hubcap

On Monday, the state Senate passed a bill that would legalize marijuana for medical purposes.

It now goes to the state Assembly, where it is co-sponsored by a couple of assemblymen who "don't usually even agree on the time of day," according to one colleague. Reed Gusciora is a liberal Democrat from Princeton and Michael Carroll is a conservative Republican from Morris County,

...............but both are backing this bill.

Gusciora supports medical marijuana for humanitarian reasons, while Carroll sees it as falling within the wider Republican tradition of getting the government out of our personal lives.

The primary objection to the bill comes from anti-drug activists and from the Fraternal Order of Police, which has been taking out advertisements arguing against medical marijuana on the grounds that "Every law enforcement officer in the state knows the error of such thinking."

That's a bit of an overstatement. Many officers believe that enforcing the laws against recreational marijuana smoking is a distraction from more serious offenses. As for the use of marijuana by the seriously ill, such as cancer patients, it's hard to see why this is a legitimate matter for law enforcement at all.

The real challenge is to ensure that such a bill has the necessary controls so that it doesn't become de facto legalization. Assembly Speaker Joe Roberts says he will make sure that is the case before he puts it before his fellow Democrats. As for the minority Republicans, they should follow Carroll's lead and give the bill serious consideration.

hubcap

hubcap

NJ gov says he'd sign medical marijuana law

February 25, 2009

TRENTON, N.J. - New Jersey Gov. Jon S. Corzine says he'll "absolutely" sign a medical marijuana bill for chronically and terminally ill patients if it gets to his desk.

Corzine, a Democrat running for re-election, made the comments Wednesday morning on WNYC radio's "Brian Lehrer Show."

He told Lehrer the law could be structured so patients are comfortable and there are safeguards against abuses.

The Senate approved the bill Monday. It faces an uncertain fate in the Assembly.

Thirteen states have medical marijuana laws on the books. All but four came about because of voter referendums. In New Jersey, the Legislature must change the law.

K

kill-9

New Jersey Kids are gonna be able to laugh at New York Kids for once. That's pretty fuckin awesome, but I hope this forces New York to get on the ball too.

hubcap

hubcap

lets hope everyone gets on board.

theres sick and dying people everywhere!

Top Bottom