New Simplified Way to Water

• Thread starter ComfortablyNumb
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

i have been looking for single manifold where i could control different ports but have had no luck... the best idea i have come up with is using flow regulators. What are you trying to do? are you using the same source but want different output volumes/times?
Prob the simplest would be cheap solenoids controlled off the signal of the sensor? Lemme see what I can dig up.

Running AC or DC?

Last edited:
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

i have been looking for single manifold where i could control different ports but have had no luck... the best idea i have come up with is using flow regulators. What are you trying to do? are you using the same source but want different output volumes/times?
Yes. Because plants take up water at different rates and evap as well. Each plant gets watered when it asks for it.
That means the above manifold is obsolete. @Aqua Man has the idea. One main water line with individual gates for each plant. Open the gate, water is on.
That would dictate a tall/long cylinder with individually controlled feed lines coming off the sides.

frostyfarms213

frostyfarms213

Prob the simplest would be cheap solenoids controlled off the signal of the sensor? Lemme see what I can dig up.

Running AC or DC?
as for for controling water flow thats easy, there are a ton of single solenoid setups, floraflex is a great example of that... this is one that i have considered using

its all DC but i could easily control AC as well, which is how my lights are controlled

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

as for for controling water flow thats easy, there are a ton of single solenoid setups, floraflex is a great example of that... this is one that i have considered using

its all DC but i could easily control AC as well, which is how my lights are controlled
Oh yeah... cookin with gas....

frostyfarms213

frostyfarms213

Yes. Because plants take up water at different rates and evap as well. Each plant gets watered when it asks for it.
That means the above manifold is obsolete. @Aqua Man has the idea. One main water line with individual gates for each plant. Open the gate, water is on.
That would dictate a tall/long cylinder with individually controlled feed lines coming off the sides.
i have thought about having solenoids at the individual plant level but i think that would over complicate things... my thought is plant groups by strain and age... as they are likely to use the same or similar volume of water

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

So, all that's really needed here is a design for the probe grid. It's to be buried obviously. It could have 5 sensors, center and the 4 cardinal points.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

i have thought about having solenoids at the individual plant level but i think that would over complicate things... my thought is plant groups by strain and age... as they are likely to use the same or similar volume of water
Ok. 2 versions then. One for the home grower that can have more variation and one for commercial that works based on the collective probe response.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I think you still want a sensor per plant even if it's not a grid. You need to know if the plant is being watered with the others.
If the water comes on but the sensor doesn't trigger, the grower needs to know.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

So, yeah. A small plastic bit gets buried in the soil with one sensor in it.
A set of wires comes up to a plug into the sensor net. It could even be USB. That makes it easy to graphically assign it as well.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
just trying this, but so far so good...

i took a smart sensor and stuck it to the side of the bag pot. i think once i figure what reading it should be set at, i can turn on the hose that comes from my dehumidifier (just because that was a close water source and i have it on a smart valve). i will note what it reads when it needs water and set it at that. for this i dont even need ifttt. just set a limit and it activates/deactivates the valve. im just using smartthings.

i can definitely make the water come on and off with the sensor. so if i can find the right numbers i can make it work.

id have to get a more permanent water source to make it actually be beneficial for the whole grow area.

i will have to wait at least a day till it needs water, but it seems to work.

Last edited:
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

just trying this, but so far so good...

i took a smart sensor and stuck it to the side of the bag pot. i think once i figure what reading it should be set at, i can turn on the hose that comes from my dehumidifier (just because that was a close water source and i have it on a smart valve). i will note what it reads when it needs water and set it at that. for this i dont even need ifttt. just set a limit and it activates/deactivates the valve. im just using smartthings.

i can definitely make the water come on and off with the sensor. so if i can find the right numbers i can make it work.

id have to get a more permanent water source to make it actually be beneficial for the whole grow area.
SmartThings? Not familliar with those... Do you have a link?

Latest posts

Top Bottom