New to forum, intermediate grower

• Thread starter raybuck
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

raybuck

Hello all. Haven't grown in a few years but I'm back at it in a legal state. Never had problems getting started until this grow. Here's some details.
Happy frog soil. 5 gallon containers. 1000 watt Cali light. 5x6x8 grow room. Distilled water pH adjusted to 6.0, 18/6 light schedule, ambient day temp 82f, night temp 68f, co2 approx 600-800 ppm, moved light from 24" to 36" thinking light stress?
Sprouts took off at first but growth is stunted now and leaves are patchy/purple, no new growth really in last 3 or 4 days.
Still too much light? I'm at a loss because these conditions in previous grows were ideal.
New to forum intermediate grower
New to forum intermediate grower 2

H

hilbert

No, just feminized
Yeah, I bet your culprit is over watering. It's hard to get it right with the seedling stage. My advice to you is that you let the medium dry out REALLY good. It's going to be hard because of the size of your pot.

I usually start all my seeds in small pots. Like, half a pint. Then slowly, as the plant fills in the rootball of the pot, ill transplant to a bigger pot. Usually, my process is 1/2 pint to 1/2 gallon to 1 gallon to 5 gallon. Then its off to the flower zone. Once in a great while, if Im not feeling lazy, i might even sneak a 3 gallon in there for a week or so.

With a little tiny plant in a giant 5 gallon pot, its going to be hard to get the soil to dry out completely. Just my 2 cents.

R

raybuck

You don't think it's light stress then?
Just strange because the leaves almost appear a little burnt, but maybe it's wrinkling?

H

hilbert

You don't think it's light stress then?
Just strange because the leaves almost appear a little burnt, but maybe it's wrinkling?
You are running a 1000 watt HPS at 36"? Might be both.

R

raybuck

And is called the extreme 1000 but it's actually 800 watts according to the manual. I'll let them dry out for a few days and see if Veg kicks back in.
Thanks

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Limited watering, every 3 days or so.
I go from a solo cup to a 7 gallon, I pre soak the soil a couple days before transplant and don't need to water for at least a couple weeks after that. It's a lot easier than trying to water a tiny plant in a big pot. Once it finally needs water it's spread throughout the pot to find the moisture and has a big root zone to take the watering.

R

raybuck

I go from a solo cup to a 7 gallon, I pre soak the soil a couple days before transplant and don't need to water for at least a couple weeks after that. It's a lot easier than trying to water a tiny plant in a big pot. Once it finally needs water it's spread throughout the pot to find the moisture and has a big root zone to take the watering.
So watering issue?

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
So watering issue?
More like general watering advice, I am assuming it's a watering issue. I by no means know 100%. My good buddy Hilbert made a good point above with the light as well. I bet its both if i had to guess

Last edited:
R

raybuck

More like general watering advice, I am assuming it's a watering issue. I by no means know 100%. My good buddy Hilbert made a good point above with the light as well. I bet its both if ui had ti guess
Ok. I'll let em dry out and raise the light more. Thanks

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
Ok. I'll let em dry out and raise the light more. Thanks
No doubt, if it doesn't fix it, just post again and I'll tag some other knowledgeable people to give it a look for you ✌

H

hilbert

If it's an LED and you can dim it, drop it down to about 50% and see what happens. If your plant gets leggy either drop it down a little bit or turn it up.

With most of my plants, even the lower wattage of LEDs don't get over 50% during veg. In fact, I don't even crank it up to 100% until I see tits.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
If it's an LED and you can dim it, drop it down to about 50% and see what happens. If your plant gets leggy either drop it down a little bit or turn it up.

With most of my plants, even the lower wattage of LEDs don't get over 50% during veg. In fact, I don't even crank it up to 100% until I see tits.
This is accurate 👆 👆

R

raybuck

No dimming. I have about 4 ft of headspace above it so I'll try and raise it another foot or more. I may have to use a different light?

R

raybuck

Just an update. Went to local indoor grow store and they let me rent a light meter. I was getting almost 900 micromols at top of plant. Raised it to the ceiling and I'm at a little under 300 now. Plants already look better.

Top Bottom